Moms and dads care about the health of the baby, because newborns require very careful care and attention to the state of health, and if such trouble as constipation happens to him, you need to act quickly and decisively. It is necessary to understand that constipation is not the worst thing for a baby, so do not panic ahead of time. The appearance of signs of unstable stool and constipation in a child does not always mean the presence of any ailments. Your doctor will help you find a good cure for constipation if your baby’s diagnosis is confirmed.
Having found signs of a rare stool, parents, as a rule, begin to look for a laxative for newborns - a medicine that helps significantly reduce the load on the baby’s intestines and alleviate its condition.
The main questions that arise in this case are: how to distinguish the signs of pathology, how to choose the right remedies for constipation in infants? You have to define it yourself. Due to age, the baby will not be able to talk about their problems.
The main signs that can tell that the baby has constipation
- Feces with low moisture. It is dry and too dense. It is normal when infants with regular feeding and healthy condition excrement contain a large amount of moisture and constitute a pasty consistency. As you know, the newborn takes mostly liquid food, in which there is no solid fillers that can serve as the basis for solid feces.
If you notice that the feces have ceased to have a liquid form or began to disintegrate into “pieces” or fragments, special attention should be paid to this.
Constipation in newborns while breastfeeding
Mother's milk is the best you can give to your baby. No artificial mixture, no matter how well balanced, will never replace mom's milk.
Determining constipation in an adult is quite simple. It is enough to diagnose the absence of defecation within 2 to 3 days.
Some parents use this data to identify constipation in a baby while breastfeeding. But this is not entirely true.
We remind you that the quantity, quality and frequency of bowel movements in an infant are individual. It is necessary to look at the monthly increase in body weight and, if it is small, to sound the alarm.
Just say that the newborn has constipation, can only be if:
- he has a bad appetite
- when feeding, the baby's legs rise, and he can blush,
- weight gain is slow, and it is below normal,
- stools and gases have an unpleasant smell of rot,
- with bowel movement, the baby is too tense and may cry.
What are the remedies for constipation for newborns?
Remember the main principle of treatment - do no harm. This should be especially observed when treating children under one year old with their sensitive digestive system.
When choosing a remedy for constipation in children rely on important indicators and rules:
- Before taking measures of treatment, it is important to know that the baby, like other people, individual characteristics of the digestive system. Therefore, if during an abrupt change in nutrition, namely, during the transition to artificial feeding, there is a long absence of defecation - this is the norm, and it is not necessary to treat it. In case there is confidence that the child really has a disease, consult a doctor
- do not self-medicate! This is really important. Do not give a newborn baby a laxative (pills, drops from constipation for children and other drugs taken orally) until your doctor has given you a go-ahead.
- Much has been said about this, but again. Do not use the advice of "knowledgeable" people, moms, grandmothers and other "experts", especially if they do not have at least a medical degree. Remember that the mucous membrane of a newborn is very sensitive and does not forgive experiments with syringes and rectal suppositories from soapy water and other irritating substances. So you can severely damage the rectal mucosa, causing injury,
- observe the absence of a child’s chair for more than two days, gases do not depart, baby shows anxiety? Consult a doctor. So in the early stages of a bowel obstruction. These symptoms require immediate action.
The use of remedies for constipation for babies Duphalac
For babies who get only breast milk, regular bowel movements are characteristic. But if it is absent for several days, it is too early to sound the alarm. However, if along with this, the baby shows signs of anxiety, it is straining, a laxative drug will not interfere. In this case, you can give a laxative for children Duphalac.
Children under one year old who receive artificial foods may experience digestive problems. It happens that constipation occurs because of an improper mixture, or because of a violation of the intestinal microflora, when parents give the baby any drugs. The use of Duphalac in such cases is fully justified.
The composition and principle of work Duphalac
Lactulose is an active substance, which is obtained from cow's milk. It is harmless because it is not absorbed by the intestines. Passing through it, the molecules of the substance do their "work" and leave the body naturally.
The optimal lactulose content in Duphalac makes its use safe and effective. Duphalac works very carefully and painlessly. Lactulose softens fecal masses, increases their volume due to moisture. Strengthens the natural intestinal motility. The process of defecation in babies becomes easy and painless.
Duphalac Application Rules
Duphalac is a viscous sweet yellowish liquid. Before use, it is diluted or taken in its original form. Newborn babies up to one year old should be given 5 ml once a day. It is better if the drug is taken at the same time, for example, in the morning. The effect of the reception manifests itself in a few hours. He persists for one - two days.
The main contraindications to taking Duphalac are intestinal obstruction, galactosemia and lactose allergy! You should carefully monitor the condition of the baby after taking the medicine. If there are any side effects, you should stop taking the drug and consult a doctor.
Duphalac is supplied in bottles of different volumes: 200, 500 or 1000 ml. How to apply it is written directly on the bottle. Included will find a cap with marks, with which you can determine the desired amount of the drug.
The average price of the drug Duphalac: 200 ml - 290 rubles, 500 ml - 460 rubles, 1000 ml - 750 rubles.
Analogs: Normaze, Lakturoza, Protalac, Goodluck. Before use - consultation with a specialist and familiarization with the official instructions of the drug.
Remember that any laxative drugs do not eliminate the very cause of constipation. They are used only to alleviate the condition of the child, if the defecation brings pain and discomfort. The main thing is the natural work of the intestines. Causes of constipation will help determine the attending physician.
She graduated from Astrakhan State Medical Academy, pediatric faculty. I work in GBUZ AO CSTO them. N.N. Silischeva, a regional children's advisory clinic (Astrakhan), a pediatrician.
Causes of constipation
Before you go to the nearest pharmacy for laxatives, you should figure out the reason for the baby’s constipation.
There are cases when a baby may not be covered for several days without experiencing any discomfort.
The reasons for the lack of feces in infants are different:
Know If the baby feels fine and does not bother his tummy, you should not worry. Since the baby’s menu consists of one item - your milk, it is quite possible that it is completely absorbed and excreted in the form of urine.
A child from birth to three months with a toilet every day, some fads. That baby can kakak several times a day, and sometimes there is a break for several days.
Another thing - bloating and colic in a child, then your help is simply necessary. How to help your baby properly without using dangerous means, see in the Practical Workshop Soft tummy: get rid of baby's colic? >>>
This type of constipation is directly related to new dishes in your diet, in the case of breastfeeding, and with new products on the baby’s menu. You probably keep a diary of the first feeding, so you can immediately recognize the culprit constipation. This product should be removed, and the tummy of the child will have to help.
Constipation can also be caused by improper introduction of complementary foods, too large portions. In order to correctly enter the lure and see how the child eats all the portions and eats with interest and joy, watch the ABC LITTER course: safe introduction of complementary foods >>>
If constipation becomes permanent, it’s time to look for their cause using laboratory methods. Knowing the diagnosis, you can find the right treatment.
The cause of constipation in your child can be a disease. For example, with SARS or flu, the baby’s body is much dehydrated, the stool becomes harder, and as a result, the baby cannot poop, feels pain and pain, it is difficult for him to push.
All causes, except for chronic constipation, you can eliminate the simultaneous use of laxatives for newborns and the adjustment of your diet and the diet of the baby. Read more about nutrition in the article Nutrition of a nursing mother >>>
For more information about the baby’s stool, as it should be normal, see the video:
Types of laxative
Pharmaceuticals and traditional medicine know enough about constipation, but only half of them are contraindicated for babies. You should immediately give up the pills, and medicinal herbs should be used wisely, having studied in detail the indications and contraindications.
- By the way, methods known to you from childhood against constipation in the form of a piece of soap or a thermometer in the anus are also discarded. Not only does the child suffer from constipation, you can also injure his tender skin and add torment,
- Do not get involved in enemas with water. You may be able to achieve a result, but you risk washing the useful microflora and lazing the intestines,
- The green light received the following medications for constipation in newborns: glycerin suppositories, laxatives with lactulose, and some medicinal microclysters.
Candles for constipation
Among the few acceptable for newborn candles with a laxative effect, the most famous are glycerin. They cost a penny: a little more than 10 rubles for one candle, and one quarter of a candle is enough for a baby of a month,
- Glycerin should soften dense feces, make it gliding, and painlessly remove the baby from the body,
- Another nuance in favor of glycerin means - this substance is not absorbed into the child’s blood and acts only where it was injected - in the anus,
- You will not have to wait long for the result, the child must pokakat minutes after 30, but there are cases when the tool simply comes out in the form of a liquid, without the expected result.
But even if everything went off with a bang, you should not forget that candles from constipation for newborns are a one-time method, you should not use them all the time, the kid should learn to crap without improvised means.
About this option you probably heard from their friends. This remedy for constipation in newborns is really safe, only you will see the result no earlier than 12 hours later. In addition, despite the sweet taste of the syrup, not all babies take it with pleasure.
- One of the most famous laxatives in the form of syrup is Duphalac for newborns. It is not cheap - from 500 rubles, but you can buy not in a large bottle, but in a portion sachet. The active ingredient is lactulose. This substance, getting into the intestine, nourishes the liquid with a thick feces, softens it, while reducing the intestinal wall. Action time - from 12 to 24 hours
- Another syrup - Prelaks, you will be pleasantly surprised by the price - about 150 rubles. In composition, it is identical with Duphalac, it differs only in the birthplace of the manufacturer’s company.
Laxative in the form of microclysters
The most fast-acting remedy for constipation is MicroLax. Convenient tube for single use sterile and easy to insert.
- High-quality and safe composition of sodium citrate, restoring the water balance in the intestine, sodium lauryl sulfoacetate, acting as an additional irritant to the intestinal walls, and 70% sorbitol solution, which increases the size of the intestine and improves its performance,
- Among the auxiliary components are glycerin and water familiar to you, as well as sorbic acid. Glycerin softens and binds the masses, water liquefies, and acid acts as an irritant.
By the way, there are no analogues of this drug, perhaps this explains the relatively high price of the drug - about 300 rubles for 4 tubes. More information about this drug can be found in the article: Microlax for newborns >>>
Are you interested in how long Microlax will cope with constipation? 10-15 minutes and your child will feel relieved.
You decide what to give a newborn with constipation, but it is better not to bring to such a state. Watch your diet and the baby’s reaction to the introduction of new foods into your diet, and your tummy will work as a watch.
Recommended and approved laxatives
Laxatives for children in the first months of life are available in several dosage forms, and most often these are syrups, solutions or suppositories.
Most often, with rare problems with emptying and to provide quick help to the tummy, pediatricians advise to resort to using rectal laxative candles, you can buy them at any pharmacy.
- Rectal candles act locally, so do not have a negative impact on the whole organism. Candles with glycerin are considered the safest, they can be used from the first days of the baby's life, so the expectant mother can stock up on them in advance. For newborn babies with constipation, 1/8 of a candle should be used; for children from a month old and older, the dosage will be doubled. Candles laxatives soften the feces, make stool painless and easy. It is only necessary to remember that any medicine is used only in extreme cases, otherwise the intestine will get used to working through its stimulation.
- Syrups and solutions. The pharmacological industry produces a wide variety of tools to facilitate bowel movement. Moms need to remember that you need to choose only where the child’s age is indicated and the instruction is fully written.
- Prelaks - the main active ingredient of syrup is lactulose, which improves intestinal motility and positively influences its microflora. Prelaks is also used as a prophylactic against constipation, the effect of its first use begins to appear within an hour. More about syrup
- Duphalac drug refers to laxatives produced on the basis of natural components of whey. A tasty syrup can be given to a baby from the first days of life; you need to remember that the maximum effect from its use most often develops on the next day. In the first days of taking a baby, flatulence may increase, after a few days it usually goes away. Duphalac has a positive effect on the normalization of intestinal microflora, this leads to the stabilization of its work. Article about Duphalac
- Normolact is another lactulose-based laxative. The drug intake is started from high doses, then, when the desired effect is achieved, they are gradually reduced. The drug can be used for a long time.
- Microlax - A new generation of drug that acts as a microclyster. The effect of its use comes fairly quickly, the only thing that stops many moms from buying is the relatively high price. Details about Microlax - instructions for use, the pros and cons, the price
Self-selected medications for constipation for newborns should only be an emergency aid. In case of frequent constipation, the parents of the baby need to consult a doctor, this will help to identify some hereditary or congenital bowel diseases. При запорах в первые недели жизни ребенка молодым мамам паниковать не стоит – организм малыша приспосабливается к изменившимся для него условиям жизни и адаптируется к пищи.
Читаем далее: Как сделать ребенку клизму
Видео: Что делать если малыша мучают запоры
Если вы знаете на личном примере, что такое запор, то можете представить, что чувствует ваш малыш, когда не может сходить по-большому несколько дней.
In addition to gravity in the tummy, infants are worried about bloating and gaziki, the baby may even refuse to eat. But you should not wait for a miracle and hope that the newborn will cope on his own with the problem, he needs help, but carefully and safely.
What is the optimal laxative for newborns and how it works, now we will understand.
What is constipation?
The concept of "constipation in infants" is rather vague. Many, even experienced, doctors can not give him a clear explanation. First you need to remind all parents that in a baby under the age of 12 months, the occurrence of a difficult or rare defecation act is the norm. After all, it was at this time that the entire digestive system was actively forming. Therefore, failures are possible, and it is necessary to assist the child. There are two main options for interpreting such a thing as "constipation in a newborn":
- Frequency of emptying. There are a large number of opinions regarding this concept. That is, one number of acts of defecation per day is associated with the type of feeding and does not worry if the child did not grow up during the day. Others are sounding the alarm and talking about constipation, already when only 12 hours have passed since the last “trip” of the child to the toilet. Of course, ideally, it is considered that the number of bowel movements of a baby under one year old should coincide with the number of meals. But each child is individual. Naturally, if he can get a crap a day several times, while he is healthy and cheerful, this is explained only by the excellent work of his digestive system. In the opposite case, it simply does not digest the food properly, and not all the beneficial substances that enter the body are well absorbed, and toxic ones are not eliminated in the required amount.
- Appearance of feces. Of course, if the bowel movements are more dense than usual, and during an act of defecation, they brought the baby a lot of trouble, then we can talk about constipation. It should be noted that a child who has not yet received complementary foods usually has a feces of a porridge.
Causes of constipation
To begin with, all parents urgently need to understand why there are still constipation in children (newborns). Here are some factors that influence this process:
1. The life of a baby who does not know how to sit and crawl, let alone walk, is not very active, therefore, to improve the work of the intestine, you only need to do light gymnastics with him before each feeding and during the waking hours of the child. It is necessary to put it on the tummy and massage the back, then turn and massage the tummy clockwise. Also try to squeeze the legs of the baby in the knees and depict an exercise similar to a bicycle ride.
2. Any deviations in the health of the crumbs will directly affect the change in the frequency of the chair and its type. Therefore, various infections, viruses and even annoying teeth can contribute to constipation.
3. Of course, the power itself. Constipation often occurs with the introduction of complementary foods (usually an average of 6 months). In this case, a power adjustment is necessary. You can use various vegetables and fruits that help to cope with this problem.
4. Please note that in extreme heat the baby may decrease the amount of feces. It is worth giving him more liquid.
5. Any changes in the intestinal microflora, as well as rickets, malnutrition and even an unformed regimen - all of these factors can lead to this problem.
Constipation during breastfeeding
It would seem that nothing can be better than breast milk, and there should be no difficulty in using it. But this is far from the case. First, it all depends on the composition of milk. In some women, it is very fat, and it is difficult for an unformed gastrointestinal tract of a baby to digest it. In others, on the contrary, it is easily digestible, and therefore the feces are formed little. Secondly, for mothers who breastfeed, it is important to follow an appropriate diet: at least for the first 3 months not to eat salty and fatty foods, to give up bad habits. In this case, breast milk will only benefit the small body, and the number of acts of defecation will be normal. Therefore, we can say that constipation of newborns during breastfeeding, in principle, is very rare. And it occurs only due to the low activity of the child or deeper problems in the work of the entire digestive system of the baby.
Constipation with artificial feeding
To begin with, breast milk is more suitable in the first months of life of the baby. But for a number of reasons, many women refuse this gift of nature and resort to artificial feeding. It can be in the form of specialized adapted mixtures, a huge number of species of which are today presented on the market of children's products, as well as in the form of animal milk (usually cow or goat). Since the baby's stomach is not adapted to the digestion of these products, it needs some time to adapt. It is during this period that infant constipation may occur. You should pay attention to the long constipation with the introduction of a supplement, then you need to change the latter and choose the most suitable option. There is even a special mix for newborns. With constipation, it helps a lot by saturating the baby’s stomach with special fermented milk bacteria when feeding.
Constipation with the introduction of complementary foods
The initial acquaintance of the child with adult food often begins with juices and baby puree. It is they who prepare his unformed digestive system for more serious food. Of course, at first the baby tries quite a bit, but this may be enough for constipation in the newborn. Usually it will be enough to cancel the product that caused the disease. If all of them are introduced gradually and according to a specific scheme, then it will be very easy to do. By the way, vegetables, which many pediatricians advise to introduce in the supplement in the first place, do an excellent job with the problem of the frequency and type of defecation. But again, all children have their own individual intolerance, so you should watch your little one.
Treatments for constipation in a child
How to help a newborn with constipation, know not all parents, and even experienced. If it is repeated in the crumbs over long months, then you need to contact an experienced specialist, who will definitely appoint all the necessary research and analysis. In the case when severe bowel movements are rare, you can try to eliminate them yourself:
- If constipation in a newborn is associated with a psychological cause (abdominal pain, severe gas formation during the first months of life), then you should spend as much time with him as possible: carry the baby in your arms, lay it on your stomach, warm it with maternal warmth.
- There are as many supporters of feeding babies with water as there are opponents. So decide for yourself whether to do this. But doctors advise in the hot time to try to give more fluid to the baby on the background of breastfeeding or a mixture. Then the problem of constipation will disappear by itself.
- If breast milk prevails in the diet of the baby, the mother should follow a strict diet as much as possible.
- When transferring the child to artificial feeding, try to do it gradually, choosing the right one.
- Only if the baby needed help urgently, you can resort to laxatives in liquid form (Duphalac syrup is applicable from birth) and in the form of candles (candles from constipation for newborns are glyceric). Of course, you do not need to use them all the time, because their action is not curative, but only auxiliary.
What can constipation lead to?
Treatment of constipation in newborns should be aimed clearly at eliminating the causes of the occurrence of the disease and directly to help the baby, as they can lead to more serious consequences, which will add trouble to the child and his parents:
1) Increased gas formation leads to bloating and colic - gases accumulate above non-exiting fecal masses and greatly disturb the crumb.
2) The less often a child poops, the more feces accumulate in the rectum, they become denser, and the next defecation can cause a large number of problems, namely injure the thin mucous membrane, resulting in cracks.
3) Hemorrhoids. It would seem that such a trouble cannot touch young children, but this is far from the case, and then it will take a long time to treat it.
4) Partial intoxication, which leads to the appearance of various kinds of rashes, abdominal pain, allergies and, in general, reduced immunity. Usually such babies become restless, vomiting can occur, they sleep poorly and are not active. In this case, the remedy for constipation in a newborn will be directed not only at eliminating the very complexity of the act of defecation, but also at cleansing the body from harmful toxic substances.
Opinion of Dr. Komarovsky
There are many different opinions about the general definition of "constipation in a newborn" and the measures to be taken if it occurs. Dr. Komarovsky clearly and clearly makes it clear that constipation is of two types: when a child does not go to the toilet for a long time and when it is difficult for him to defecate.
The second case is much more complicated, and the first one may pose no serious danger. After all, if the baby feels and behaves absolutely normally (gains weight and sleeps well), then there is no need to worry about the alleged constipation. In cases where it is clear that the crumbs are hard to go to the toilet, and he is clearly tormented by this, according to Komarovsky, he must be helped very quickly and in a timely manner. He recommends trusting proven methods, namely to use candles from constipation for newborns based on glycerin. Fortunately, the modern medicine industry produces children's form. A remedy for constipation in a newborn in the form of syrup (various syrups based on lactulose) is also suitable. Only they are able to help the child with this delicate problem, without causing any harm. Use these drugs advised from birth.
Many parents report that pieces of laundry soap (which are used instead of an enema or a candle), as well as a thermometer (as an annoying factor) helped them to eliminate constipation in the newborn. Komarovsky categorically against such folk remedies. Naturally, the cause must be sought immediately. If we are talking about breastfeeding, the mother must strictly review their diet. When the child has already tried complementary foods, then his diet should include as much as possible vegetables, fruits, cereals, and also water. The latter can increase the volume of fecal masses and remove all harmful substances from the body.
Do I need to see a doctor?
At any age, especially if the child is very small, using various medications for constipation can easily harm the unformed digestive system and the removal of harmful substances from the body. Thus, all your actions to eliminate difficulties with defecation in a baby should always be discussed and agreed with the doctor. The use of even the simplest laxative in the form of a lactulose syrup sometimes leads to the elimination of beneficial potassium and protein from the body. And the frequent use of glycerin suppositories or specialized enemas will lower the intestinal tone and suppress the emptying reflex. That is, in order for the child to want to go to the toilet next time, it will be necessary to wait a long time until a large amount of feces accumulates in the rectum. Therefore, the doctor will prescribe a tiny dose of medication for constipation, all the necessary tests and examinations.
When to worry?
Thanks to the above explanations, it became clear what is constipation in a newborn. Folk remedies, unfortunately, are not always in place here, so you have to immediately resort to the use of drugs. Panic in this case certainly does not help, but if you notice significant changes in behavior, as well as the growth and development of your child against the background of constantly existing constipation, you need to run to the doctor immediately. Not because an irreversible misfortune has already happened, it just leads to this. It is easier to fix the problem at the very beginning.
If the baby is still very small, all tests and examinations are normal, then the treatment of temporary constipation will be reduced to a daily massage of the abdomen, awakening to activity, for example, in the form of morning exercises or putting it on the stomach before each feeding. Putting something warm (a diaper or a baby salt water bottle) will also help to relieve pain in constipation. The modern baby food industry, as well as medical products for babies, bring to your attention a huge amount of herbal teas based on dill, fennel, which can reduce colic and reduce gas formation.
Parents, remember that rarely occurring constipation may indicate malfunctions in the diet of the child or mother, as well as imperfections in the work of an immature infant digestive system. Daily repeated difficult acts of defecation talk about big problems that only a competent specialist can solve. Otherwise, if everything is allowed to drift, it will lead to intestinal dysbiosis (deterioration of the qualitative and quantitative composition of its microflora) or diathesis (various rashes and allergies). But at the same time, listen to your little one, be able to see the problem at the beginning, then it will be much easier to get rid of it, without the use of expensive drugs and tests.