Blood test for menstruation: is it possible to take and why
- Is it possible to donate blood during menstruation
- How to distinguish menstruation from bleeding
- What not to do with monthly
Is it possible to donate blood during menstruation?
The question of whether it is possible to donate blood during menstruation is relevant for most women. After all, the need to undergo laboratory tests may arise even during menstruation. To understand whether it is possible to donate blood to a woman during menstruation, you need to know what research will be conducted. There are the following types of blood tests:
- General clinical analysis - a blood test for such key indicators as red blood cells and their sedimentation rate, platelets, hemoglobin, leukocyte group and components of this group.
- Blood biochemical parameters.
- Blood test for glucose level.
- Hormonal blood tests.
- Serological studies.
- Diagnosis of allergies.
- Immunological blood test,
- Determination of the level of blood clotting.
- Blood test for oncology.
- Diagnosis of blood by the method of polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
As can be seen from the list, there are quite a large number of different blood tests. Some of the tests can be taken only on a certain menstrual day, some types of studies may be taken only outside of menstruation.
Why not donate blood during menstruation
Menstruation is the process by which rejection of the endometrium increases during the previous menstrual cycle. Each menstrual cycle begins with a small blood loss, which lasts an average of 4-5 days. As a result, a woman may change some blood parameters.
- Hemoglobin decreases during menstruation.
- ESR increases due to inflammation as a result of endometrial rejection.
- The number of erythrocytes will increase while platelets and white blood cells decrease markedly.
Some women feel quite severe pain in the abdominal cavity during menstruation and take painkillers. They may also change some blood parameters.
What blood test for menstruation will be informative
Taking tests for menstruation is the most informative way to find out the amount of hormones in a woman’s body. A girl can safely go for a blood test during menstruation, if the study will be conducted on the following hormones:
- Antimulir hormone that determines the ovarian reserve of women.
- Steroid hormone - progesterone.
- Luteinizing hormone.
- Other hormonal studies.
A blood test during menstruation for hormones is usually given on the 2-3 day of the cycle. Some doctors ask their patients to take hormones on certain days of the cycle outside the menstrual flow. For example, prolactin can be taken either on a 2-3 day cycle, or on a 21 day.
Can I donate blood for other types of tests?
Of all the above types, blood can be donated only for serological testing. If there is an infectious disease in the body, it will be visible no matter on which day of the cycle the material was received.
On whether it is possible to pass tests during menstruation for the presence of oncology or gynecological infections, there is one answer - no. If blood is given for analysis during menstruation, then most often the patient gets a false positive result.
How and when to donate blood
If the doctor did not specify certain days of the cycle for the tests, and the woman can choose the day for the test, then it is best if at least 3-4 days pass after the end of her period. That is, on average, from 7–8 days and until the beginning of a new cycle, blood and urine indicators will be most reliable.
Blood must be taken on an empty stomach, a couple of sips of water are allowed after brushing your teeth. In some cases, the doctor allows you to eat before testing. If the expert did not mention permission to eat, then it is necessary to refrain from eating at least 8 hours before delivery.
Do not cross your legs while taking blood.
After the analysis, it is advisable to eat candy or drink sweet tea. Then the level of glucose in the blood rises slightly, which means that the state of health improves.
Are blood tests done during menstruation?
In the female body during the period of menstrual bleeding serious changes occur, hormonal changes change, he experiences an excessive load, moreover, since during this period many women suffer from quite severe pain, they take painkillers, and this can also affect blood counts under study. From this it follows that when you go to the doctor, when you send out a referral for tests, you need to be warned that the woman has a menstrual period, so that, firstly, there is an understanding whether it is possible to conduct a particular study, and secondly, even if is urgently needed, then it should be held in view of menstruation.
And so, remember, you should not take the following blood tests:
- on sugar,
- on coagulability,
- on tumor markers,
- on allergens.
This is due to the fact that during menstruation the indicators in the blood are not constant and some can change significantly, which naturally will not show the true picture.
As an example, when examining blood for general indicators during critical days, rapid erythrocyte sedimentation is possible. These results are indicators of the fact that the body has an infection and the inflammatory process has begun. In addition, there may be an underestimation of platelets and leukocytes. Therefore, this study should be carried out on other days of the cycle.
With regard to blood clotting, the study will be significantly underestimated.
Since the blood composition changes during the menstrual period, the biochemical analysis will be false.
Based on the above, we note that it is best to take blood tests on the seventh day of the cycle, in this case most likely to get real results.
What tests pass during menstruation
In addition to contraindications for analysis, there are appointments, when it is possible to trace one indicator or another precisely during the period. In this case, we are talking about hormones. Since all the processes in the female body are closely connected with the hormonal background, it is possible to see their maximum concentration during menstruation or in the interval between the fifth and eighth day after the critical days.
During menstruation, blood tests are performed for the following hormones:
- estradiol and others.
In addition to hormones, regardless of the day of the cycle, you can conduct research on syphilis and infectious diseases.
It should also be remembered that the result of the study is influenced by the medications that the woman is taking, so this point should also be discussed with the doctor.
Do gynecological examinations during menstruation
In order to get a complete picture of women's health, in addition to blood tests, they also prescribe a series of tests of vaginal smears, especially if we are talking about the health status of the reproductive system and genital organs. The most common analysis that gynecologists take is a vaginal smear. The doctor, when examining a woman in a chair, takes a swab from the vaginal mucosa and sends it to the laboratory for research.
This analysis is not recommended during menstruation, there are a number of objective reasons for this:
- the difficulty of sampling material related to female physiology,
- the presence of blood in the mucous membrane of the vagina gives a biased result,
- taking painkillers at this time, lubricates the real picture.
But in this case, there are still exceptions, when a woman’s health requires an immediate diagnosis or constant monitoring, which is why a smear test is done daily, regardless of the day of the cycle. These are moments that can not be called a planned study, so waiting for favorable conditions simply do not have time.
In general, a woman should take care of her health, consult a doctor in a timely manner and plan ahead for laboratory procedures for any biological fluids.
Blood test during menstruation
First of all, it should be noted that menstruation is not a contraindication to blood donation. All that is needed is to warn the doctor who will write out a referral for research about the onset of the menstrual cycle. He, in turn, will make the appropriate mark on the form.
If the representative of the weaker half of humanity has the opportunity to conduct tests after the end of menstruation, then the best option would be to wait. Then there will be no doubt about the accuracy and reliability of the survey. It is not recommended to conduct the delivery of such surveys during this period as:
- complete blood count - there will be a decrease in hemoglobin, platelets and leukocytes,
- blood chemistry,
- on sugar,
- allergy tests, because during this period the body becomes extremely sensitive and therefore the results will be unreliable,
- determining the clotting time, it will be reduced,
- immunological analysis, because during menstruation there will be a false positive result,
- tumor markers,
- for infectious diseases, by transmission of which is considered sexual.
Submitted analyzes will lead to changes in some indicators. For example, a general blood count will indicate erythrocytosis, leukocytosis and thrombocytosis. And this may indicate the presence or the formation of inflammatory or infectious genesis processes in the human body.
Distortion of results is often observed as a result of an increased level of blood clotting. It is necessary to focus on the fact that if it is taken from a vein, it can immediately collapse and biochemistry or any other study will not be conducted.
Such possible changes are explained by the fact that the menstrual period is a kind of stressful situation for the body, accompanied by nervous excitement and exhaustion.
It must be remembered that for some women, blood tests during menstruation can lead to additional stress on the circulatory and nervous systems. And this in turn will manifest a deterioration of the general condition.
The blood component will also be altered if you are taking analgesics or antispasmodics.
The list of examinations, the results of which are not affected by the menstrual cycle
Types of tests not related to menstruation
There are a considerable number of tests that allow blood donation during menstruation. These are mainly hormone level tests.
The amount of hormones associated with the menstrual cycle, their rate may vary and reach the top in a certain period of time. The best period for such tests is menstruation or 6-9 days after its termination. Analyzes allow you to diagnose the indicators:
- luteinizing hormone
- follicle-stimulating hormone.
Note that taking a blood test during menstruation for a blood test for FGS, LH and prolactin is better during the period from the third to the fifth day of the cycle, testosterone - from the eighth to the tenth day, and progesterone and estradiol - from the twenty-first to the twenty-second day of the menstrual cycle .
Do not affect the monthly and the results of the analysis on the diagnosis of syphilis. It is also allowed to undergo tests in order to identify the process of infectious origin or to conduct a serological analysis.
If the doctor prescribes an examination of the body through tests, then the best option would be to clarify the time of their passage. If he does not give any special instructions and recommendations, then tests can be taken on any day of the cycle. However, a significant proportion of medical workers still insist on testing no earlier than 3-5 days after the end of the month.
On the day of the survey, you should follow the generally accepted recommendations:
- the test should be done on an empty stomach,
- need to abandon the consumption of fatty foods and sweets,
- do not drink coffee and caffeine containing drinks,
- avoid drinking alcoholic beverages,
- Do not smoke.
On the eve of the survey, you should stop taking any medication, because they can have a distorting effect on the results, leading to inaccuracy.
The results of the analysis, which is considered to be the norm
Complete blood count during menstruation will provide the following indicators:
- leukocytes, their usual number (from 3.5 to 10 000 per 1 ml of blood) can be changed with an increase in the number can be suspected of the presence of an infectious or inflammatory process in the body,
- erythrocytes (normal from 3.8 to 5,800,000 per 1 ml), an increase in their number indicates a malfunction of the cardiovascular system, poisoning or dehydration of the body, a decrease indicates constant blood loss, hemolysis of erythrocytes, the onset of pregnancy or an increase in the amount of salts in the body ,
- hemoglobin (the norm is from 120 to 160 g / l), which during menstrual blood loss will be reduced, but with a significant decrease you need to think about anemia, and with an increase about problems with the blood clotting process and even chronic leukemia,
- the color indicator (its normal result is considered to be from 0.85 to 1.05), the excess of this figure will indicate the synthesis of hemoglobin or a decrease in the size of erythrocytes, and a decrease below the permissible norm will indicate the development of such pathological processes in the body as macrocytosis, folio-deficiency anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency,
- hematocrit (the norm is from 35 to 45%).
Performing blood tests during the menstrual pause
Blood tests during the menstrual pause
The examination of blood during the menstrual pause has an extremely high level of efficiency, especially if it is taken during the period from 7 to 15 days of the menstrual cycle. This time is considered the best option for passing surveys. This is explained by the fact that the body was already able to recover from blood loss and had not yet had time to prepare for the next one.
On the remaining days of the cycle, testing is recommended only if absolutely necessary, if you feel unwell, to make a diagnosis or to prescribe a treatment regimen. But in this case it is necessary to warn your doctor that the tests were taken during menstruation. This is what he must take into account when analyzing the results obtained.
In any situation, you don’t need to contact the laboratories for blood tests without prior consultation with the doctor, because the female body is not always ready for this kind of manipulation. This is particularly acute during menstruation and in the period when a woman carries a child, since during this period a considerable amount of changes occur in the female body that cannot but affect the performance indicators.
Summarizing the above information, it should be noted that the menstrual cycle, as well as pregnancy, is considered to be not the best time for testing with a preventive purpose. Particular attention should be paid to the choice of a laboratory and clinic, if necessary, to obtain accurate and correct results. It is better to spend more time searching for an institution than to torture your body with repeated control tests, in order to confirm or deny the diagnosis. That is practically all the basic information about which surveys can be performed and which can not. You now have the information about the changes that the survey indicators undergo during monthly periods.
Changes in the body during menstruation
In the process of menstruation, endometrial rejection occurs, which lines the uterus from the inside. Within a few days there is a release of blood from the female genital tract. The hue of the color of blood can be different, it depends on the day of the cycle, and on the state of the body.
Periodically repeating, menstruation lasts from 3 days to 5. The cycle begins on the first day of discharge, ends on the last day before the next menstrual periods. At the end of this period, the endometrial layer becomes as thick as possible, gaining the ability to retain a fertilized egg. If conception does not happen, an unnecessary layer of the endometrium leaves the uterus, causing menstrual bleeding.
It is not possible to conduct some control studies during the menstrual period, as there are many short-term changes in the body. The result will not be reliable.
On critical days, the following blood counts change:
- An increase in ESR is observed in the first days of menstrual bleeding. Сейчас это считается нормальным, а в остальные дни цикла указывает на наличие процессов воспалительного характера в организме. Чтобы избежать ошибки в постановке диагноза, данный анализ лучше сдавать позже.
- Снижение количества тромбоцитов и лейкоцитов при увеличении количества эритроцитов.
- Changes in blood clotting, which becomes more fluid, which can cause improperly prescribed treatment.
Changes in the composition of the blood, which are a natural consequence of a change in the state of a woman, should not be frightening. In addition, medications taken on critical days can also affect test results.
This analysis includes the study of the state of such indicators as platelet and leukocyte levels, erythrocyte sedimentation rate and hemoglobin. All these data in different phases of the menstrual cycle may be different. The high probability of an erroneous diagnosis, delivered based on such a result, excludes the possibility of passing this analysis on menstruation days.
Thus, a complete blood count during menstruation is absolutely not recommended. It is better to move it to the middle of the cycle. It is possible to conduct research within 4-5 days after the end of the month.
Such limitations are also connected with the fact that even a small loss of blood leads to a decrease in the level of hemoglobin in the body. The blood clotting system becomes more active. So nature takes care to stop the bleeding. In accordance with this, the indicators of a general blood test, given on menstruation days, will not be correct.
The results of this analysis, the factor of the presence of menstruation can not affect. If you suspect many diseases of an inflammatory nature make an analysis of syphilis. The selection of a specific day of the cycle is considered redundant, since the results of diagnostics depend not on the level of hormones, but on the presence or absence of the causative agent of the disease.
Some doctors still hold the opinion that the analysis of syphilis is best done immediately after the end of menstruation, considering such a diagnosis to be more accurate. If the period allows, then you can wait a few days and do as your doctor recommends. If the disease is acute and tests are needed urgently, blood for RW can be donated during menstruation.
RW blood test
Hormonal analyzes more than others depend on a specific day of the menstrual cycle. This is due to the fact that hormones are very susceptible to such processes as, for example, ovulation. That is why each hormonal analysis is recommended to be carried out strictly on the specified day of the menstrual cycle.
Hormone delivery during menstruation is indicated if you suspect:
- polycystic ovaries,
- neoplasms in the uterus, which are benign,
- disorders of the thyroid gland,
- deviations in the reproductive system.
Only an analysis delivered at a specified time can give a complete detailed picture of the state of the organism. If the doctor’s appointment is not fulfilled, you should wait for the next cycle and donate blood on the right day. Otherwise, the result will be completely unsuitable for diagnosis and prescription of treatment.
Other blood tests
During menstruation it is not recommended to take some types of other tests. It:
- Blood biochemistry. It shows the level of protein, bilirubin, enzymes. Indicators can change under the influence of external factors and strong stimuli, which is menstruation.
- Analysis for oncological markers. A sharp jump in the level of hormones can provoke unreliable results. It is better to conduct a similar study after menstruation.
- Test for blood viscosity. It is unacceptable in the process of menstruation to conduct such a study, as the body, starting the mechanism of protection against bleeding, he raises the level of viscosity.
- Glucose test. In most cases, the result is unreliable, and the jumps can be quite large. In some cases, the result of such an analysis may even scare the patient, therefore, it is better to check the sugar level after menstruation.
- Allergy tests. The body these days is extremely susceptible to irritants, so the allergy test will not give a reliable result.
- Immunological tests. A week after menstruation is the best time for such a study.
You should be attentive to the analysis if a woman takes medications that can affect the result on the days of delivery. The most reliable in all respects is considered to be the results of tests submitted on the 7th day of the menstrual cycle. It should be noted that this period occurs 2-4 days after the end of menstruation.
During the period of menstruation donor blood flow is strictly prohibited. A decrease in hemoglobin level, a blood clotting disorder are the main reasons why this should not be done. As a result, the overall condition of the donor can significantly deteriorate, the body will experience severe stress. The risk of bleeding is large enough.
You should not run to the donor center immediately after the end of your period. It is better if this is done on a 10-14 day cycle. At this time, the phase of the menstrual cycle is characterized by such an indicator as increased endurance of the body, now women need to become donors. No one will check this delicate fact, but the harm done, first and foremost, to oneself and one's health, can be irreparable.
Is donation of blood allowed during menstruation?
Rate of results
When receiving the results of analyzes, I would like to quickly glance at the cherished leaflet and analyze the indicators. However, it is not always possible to do this quickly, since the numbers next to the names of the elements being checked are often incomprehensible.
To clarify, you should know which results are normal:
- Leukocytes. The rate of 1 ml - from 3500 to 10,000 units.
- Hemoglobin. Per liter should account for not less than 120 grams and not more than 160. This figure is calculated specifically for the fair sex. Pregnancy involves a special approach to the analysis of this indicator.
- Erythrocytes. The normal rate may range from 0.85 to 1.05.
- Hematocrit. Normally, from 35% to 45%.
The result of exceeding the norm or with a clear decrease should be immediately shown to the doctor. Self-medication in most cases is unacceptable. Abnormalities in most studies may indicate serious health problems. Delay can cost life.
How to delay the monthly for several days? Read in the article about the physiology of the female body, ways to delay menstruation, drugs that can be taken for these purposes.
Can there be a temperature before menstruation? Information here.
When is it best to give a blood test to a woman?
In order for the result to be as reliable as possible and to allow the doctor to get a complete picture of the patient's state of health, it is important to take into account all the factors influencing the final results. In preparation for the analysis should take into account primarily the time of day. Almost always it's early morning.
In addition to the time in which blood is donated for analysis, several factors must be taken into account:
- any blood test is done on an empty stomach,
- only water is allowed before the procedure
- a few days before the study from the diet you need to eliminate fatty and spicy foods,
- on treatment and monitoring days, you should give up bad habits,
- intense exercise should be excluded
- visiting baths, saunas, physiotherapeutic procedures is not recommended.
About why you can not donate blood during menstruation in some situations, every doctor knows. But it is important to remember that conducting blood tests should not be combined with other monitoring measures, because the body must be at rest.
You can or can not be tested on menstruation days, depends primarily on the type of analysis. In some cases this is unacceptable, and in some cases highly recommended. This applies, for example, blood tests for hormone levels. There are types of monitoring, where the phase of the cycle is not a decisive factor in analyzing the results.
On the video about testing for hormones
How does menstruation affect the blood test
Whether it is possible to take a blood test during menstruation depends on the type of analysis. Test results may vary depending on the discharge cycle. It is recommended to donate blood in the middle of the cycle (starting from day 5 and ending at day 26). This is explained by the fact that the uterine layer - the endometrium, which creates a favorable environment for engraftment of the embryo, thickens with the cycle. Therefore, this process affects the composition of blood.
During menstruation, the following blood counts change:
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) increases in the first days of menstruation. During menstruation, most women experience pain, which leads to an increase in ESR. Elevated ESR speaks of an inflammatory process. Therefore, it can lead to an incorrect diagnosis if the blood is donated during menstruation.
- Hemoglobin decreases. Hemoglobin level falls due to loss of blood during menstruation (within normal limits)
- The level of platelets and leukocytes decreases and the level of erythrocytes increases. (Blood clotting is reduced to a significant extent)
- Changes the balance of hormones. It is known that menstruation is controlled by hormones that change over the course of the cycle.
To donate blood properly and avoid erroneous results, you need to choose the middle of the cycle or after 5 days after the end of menstruation.
Such a study should be carried out regularly to monitor blood parameters and the state of the body as a whole.
There are a large number of tests, the most common ones are:
General blood analysis
Blood is given in the morning on an empty stomach (or in the afternoon / evening 5 hours after a meal). 1-2 days before blood donation, it is necessary to exclude products containing a large amount of fat.
- Urea. 1-2 days before the analysis, you must follow a diet: give up food rich in purines - liver, kidney, restrict meat, fish, coffee, tea in the diet. Intensive physical activity is contraindicated.
- Cholesterol, lipoproteins. Two weeks before the test, it is necessary to cancel the drugs that lower the level of lipids in the blood, if the goal is not to know the lipid-lowering effect of therapy with these drugs.
When donating blood for glucose, you cannot brush your teeth and chew gum, drink tea, or coffee. Contraceptives, diuretics and other medications also affect the outcome.
Blood for hormones should be given on an empty stomach in the morning, from 8 to 11 am.
For some hormones, blood can be donated 4-5 hours after the last meal in the afternoon or evening. Before passing the tests you should consult with a specialist. For hormones you need to take on critical days. It is better to carry out the analysis on the 5-7 day cycle.
1-2 days before the analysis, eliminate foods high in fat from the diet, the last meal should not be abundant.
Protein C, Protein S, von Willebrand factor
Do not conduct research during acute periods of illness and while taking anticoagulant drugs (after withdrawal, at least 30 days must elapse). Surrenders on an empty stomach, between the last meal and the taking of blood should take at least 8 hours. Women are not recommended to take tests on hemostasis during menstruation.
- PSA (common, free). After a biopsy of the prostate gland and prostate massage, blood for PSA can be donated no sooner than 2 weeks later. Post-surgical level of PSA is determined not earlier than 6 weeks after the intervention. Detects the presence of a tumor.
- CA-125 ovaries. For greater accuracy, take 2-3 days after menstruation.
Blood testing for infections
1-2 days before the analysis to exclude from the diet foods high in fat. 2 days before donating blood for viral hepatitis, exclude citrus fruits, orange fruits and vegetables from the diet.
The results of studies on the presence of infections depend on the period of infection and the state of the immune system, so a negative result does not completely exclude the infection.
In doubtful cases, it is necessary to repeat the analysis after 3-5 days.
Why not donate blood during menstruation
Blood is the main participant in menstruation. In the menstrual flow, it gets from the damaged vessels of the endometrium. And even if a woman feels fine these days, she loses blood with secretions. Therefore, whether it is possible to donate blood during menstruation is important. To be tested is to subject a woman's body to stress.
With the help of urinalysis can be a lot to identify about human disease. Its components are highly susceptible to both external and internal effects. External influence can spoil a picture about health of the patient. So is it possible to pass urine during menstruation for tests? It is possible, if not to do without him, but following some rules:
- It is good to wash before collecting material with clean water without antibacterial agents,
- It is necessary to insert a tampon into the vagina so that menstruations do not fall into the urine during its collection.
Even if you did everything right, your urinalysis during menstruation may be unreliable.
False urine analysis for menstruation:
- Turbid urine with red blood cells can talk about a malignant tumor of the female organs, systemic diseases, intoxication,
- The presence of sediment with a uterine element in large quantities, which can get into the discharge - can talk about jaundice, cystitis, allergies to some medications, urolithiasis,
- Dark color of urine means a violation of the outflow of bile, failure of the liver. More red color speaks of glomerulonephritis,
- A large proportion of urine (if particles are excreted) says heart failure, diabetes mellitus.
Is it possible to pass urine during menstruation is an ambiguous question. It is best not to pass without the urgent need. But there are cases of immediate, in which urine is taken from the bladder using a catheter. This method of taking the material will not be erroneous.
Ultrasound examination during menstruation
With the help of ultrasound, you can learn about many diseases at an early stage. Such a study has virtually no contraindications. And besides, it is an affordable method for studying diseases.
Ultrasound is completely safe for the patient. But the question arises, is it possible to do ultrasound during menstruation? And if so, on what day to do a pelvic ultrasound? In emergency cases, such a study in gynecology is considered the most informative. It is very important to know that the results of the research depend on the qualification of the specialist and on the equipment itself. A good specialist will tell you when to do a pelvic ultrasound: before menstruation or after, or during them.
When is it best to conduct ultrasound research?
- Examination by a gynecologist for prevention
For prevention, a woman needs to be examined by a gynecologist. This applies to pelvic ultrasound, which is recommended every two years. Such a study is carried out after menstruation on the 5-7 day of the cycle. It will be difficult to identify pathology in the uterus if ultrasound is done closer to the onset of critical days. You can make a mistake with the diagnosis, taking the normal growth of the endometrium as a polyp or hyperplasia. From the middle of the cycle, functional formations on the ovaries can be mistaken for cysts.
Many people want to know whether it is possible to do a pelvic ultrasound during menstruation, if the discharge continues for 7 days. On such days, ultrasound can be done if the discharge is residual.
- On the identification of pregnancy
The reason for the study of the small pelvis during menstruation is their pathological nature, which speaks mainly of pregnancy. The discharge is scanty red or brown in color, which can last from two days to several weeks. Such secretions may be at risk of normal pregnancy and ectopic pregnancy.
- Suspected endometriosis
If you suspect endometriosis, you must do an ultrasound before menstruation. These days, endometrial ovarian cysts and the location of foci can be detected. Symptoms addressed to the gynecologist for endometriosis:
- Permanent spotting brown discharge before and after critical days
- Periodic abdominal pain.
Ultrasonography cannot be postponed in the following cases:
- Suspicion of pregnancy with a short period, accompanied by bloody discharge (with clots, smearing, irregular)
- Suspected Ectopic Pregnancy
- Bleeding during menopause
- With acute lower abdominal pain
- In inflammatory diseases of the pelvis.
Preparation for ultrasound during menstruation:
- you must take a shower before the procedure
- take a disposable diaper,
- The bladder must be empty in front of the ultrasound.
Examination of the mammary glands should be carried out on the 5-7 day cycle. Since the breast is hormone dependent and changing organs in women.
You can examine other organs any day, regardless of the cycle.
Blood during menstruation acquires increased clotting and viscosity, which helps to prevent large blood loss. When a vein is taken from a vein, there is a high risk that it will collapse even before the study begins.In the end, either the result will be false, or you will have to pass it again.
In the blood test during menstruation, the following indicators are distorted:
- the level of D-dimer (determines the risk of blood clots) is greatly overestimated,
- при выявлении некоторых ИППП высокая вязкость приведет к ложноположительному результату (хотя на выявлении многих половых инфекций менструация не отразится),
- sedimentation of ESR during menstruation in women, as well as before menstruation occurs faster than usual, so the detection of inflammation or infection in this way will not give a reliable result,
- hemoglobin decreases significantly, as well as the number of platelets and leukocytes,
- the number of red blood cells increases.
Test scores are considered normal within the following limits:
- leukocytes - 3.5–10 thousand / ml,
- red blood cells - in the range of 3.8–5.8 million / ml,
- blood hemoglobin level - 120–160,
- color - 0.8–1.05,
- hematocrit increases in proportion to the growth of red blood cells, the norm is in the range of 35–45%,
- ESR is normal for women - 3–15 mm / h (ESR can increase not only during menstruation, so an examination is always prescribed in conjunction with more informative).
If you had to undergo a survey, then you need to focus on these average data.
Why it is undesirable to pass a urine test
Is it possible to take feces and urinalysis during menstruation? In the first case, studies are allowed only on PCF and helminths. A urine for analysis is not allowed to pass both during menstruation, and in the next 3-4 days after them.
Anatomically, the two systems (sexual and urinary) are separate, but their outputs are located nearby. Discharges from the vagina in microscopic doses must fall into the urine directly in the process of collecting the analysis.
Even on ordinary days of the cycle, careful hygienic procedures are needed immediately before the collection of the urine.
In the secretions during menstruation, bacteria begin to multiply rapidly. And the blood itself contains components that should not be in the urine of healthy people. If the doctor is not warned about the onset of menstruation, then he will suspect a bacterial infection or another disease.
Is it possible to be a donor
For donors, there are many limitations on the state of health. Among them are periods of menstruation. Girls can not donate blood during menstruation due to a significant deterioration of the body.
The blood has a slight deviation from the norm in composition, but is not suitable for transfusion. Often, women neglect this prohibition, becoming donors during menstruation. There are good reasons for not doing this:
- Blood sampling occurs in sufficiently large volumes (200 ml for the first time and 450 into the next). Plus, natural discharge during menstruation is up to 60 ml per day.
- During regul, hemoglobin is significantly reduced. The greater the loss of blood, the lower its level and worse woman's well-being.
- The level of sex hormones decreases, which in itself causes weakness, drowsiness. And additional blood loss can lead to loss of consciousness.
- Blood pressure changes. Donation will greatly aggravate the situation.
- During critical days, immunity decreases, the body becomes unstable to diseases. Donation will delay the recovery process.
Only healthy people can be a donor. In order not to harm oneself, it is better not to donate blood both during menstruation, and within 3-4 days before and after it:
- before menstruation, all indicators are high (hemoglobin, red blood cells), but they are intended to alleviate the state during discharge,
- after a period of critical days, the body takes time to recover.
It is also undesirable for the donor to take medications, and women during menstruation are often forced to use painkillers.
What tests during menstruation is not recommended?
Doctors do not recommend taking urine tests during menstruation - general, daily, according to Nechiporenko, according to Zimnitsky and others. This is due to the fact that during the collection of material in the urine can get particles of epithelium, blood. These substances in the urine significantly change the picture of the analysis, will show an increase in red blood cells, protein. In addition to the fact that the results of such an analysis are likely to make a woman worried, there will be a need to retake the urine test.
But what if you just need to pass tests during menstruation? Such a need may arise during an unscheduled hospitalization, preparation for an emergency operation. In this case, first, you need to warn the doctor that the woman has menstruation. Secondly, it should be very careful to collect urine. A woman needs to gently rinse and use a hygienic tampon. If there is no hygienic tampon, you can use a cotton swab. After that, collect urine.
It must be remembered that the average urine is necessarily collected. To do this, first, for 2-3 seconds, urine is released into the toilet, then the average urine is collected into a special container or jar, and then urination is completed in the toilet. Some medical professionals recommend during urine collection for analysis during menstruation to pass a stream of urine through a cotton swab.
Many women are interested in, is it possible to donate blood for tests during menstruation? Of course, if there is a need to urgently take a blood test, it should be donated. But it is necessary to warn the doctor that the woman has a period of menstruation. During menstruation, a woman's blood counts change slightly. During this period, a complete blood count will show an increase in the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). The doctor can decipher it as a sign of an infectious or inflammatory process in the body. In addition, in many women during the menstruation the number of platelets in the blood decreases, the level of leukocytes slightly decreases.
On the first day of menstruation, there is a slight increase in hemoglobin and red blood cells in a woman’s blood. But on the second or third day, these figures fall below normal. Also on critical days, coagulability of the blood is reduced in women. This is necessary for the free flow of menstrual blood from the body of a woman.
In no case should you take a blood test for tumor markers during your period. During this period, the results may be false-positive.
The above tests are not recommended during menstruation. In addition, for accurate diagnosis it is better to conduct such studies 5-7 days after the end of menstruation.
What can be tested for menstruation?
There are situations when it is possible to take tests with monthly. And not only it is possible, but also recommended to conduct research during this period.
Many women had to take blood tests for hormones. These studies are conducted on certain days of the menstrual cycle. For example, tests for luteinizing and follicle-stimulating hormones, cortisol, testosterone, prolactin, estradiol should be taken for 5-7 days from the onset of menstruation. Studies on progesterone are carried out on the 20–1st day of the monthly cycle.
You can take monthly blood tests for infections. This period does not affect the results of such studies.
In any case, if there is a need for tests during monthly periods, it is best to notify the doctor who sends the woman to the study.