What to do if your stomach hurts during pregnancy
Since the child is in pregnancy and develops in the abdominal cavity of a woman, it is not surprising that she may experience pain in this particular area. During pregnancy, abdominal pain may have a different nature and severity. The root cause of these sensations can also vary. In this article we will understand why pregnant women have a stomachache and how to deal with it.
Pain in early pregnancy
With the onset of the most pleasant period in the life of a woman, there are also moments that can darken it. Most often at the beginning of childbearing, women experience various painful sensations. And, of course, they immediately ask themselves: "Why do pregnant women have a stomach ache?" The answer to this question will be many different factors and reasons.
Initially, it is worth noting that the pain that a woman experiences at this moment may not be associated with conception. Specialists in this case talk about non-obstetric pain. These are symptoms that are not related to the reproductive system of a woman, but affect its other organs and indicate the presence of pathology.
However, there are obstetric pains, which are directly related to conception. They may occur due to the physiological characteristics of the organism, and may indicate an ectopic pregnancy or the threat of miscarriage.
The nature of the pain
Before answering the question why a pregnant girl has a stomach ache, you need to figure out how it hurts. This is important in determining the cause of pain. Thus, the nature of the pain experienced by a woman may be as follows:
- pulling, inconstant, of weak intensity - this indicates that the muscles that hold the uterus begin to stretch, and the localization of sensations can be, on the one hand, or throughout the abdomen,
- spastic, permanent, non-intense - such pain occurs against the background of hormonal changes in the body,
- spasmodic, of weak intensity, mixed with a small amount of blood in the secretions - this pain should not be regarded as the beginning of menstruation, it means that the fertilized egg has attached to the wall of the uterus and has already begun its development, this phenomenon is called "implant bleeding", however, if it lasts more than a day, it speaks of the threat of interruption, miscarriage or menstruation that has begun,
- non-permanent, pulling, undulating - they give chronic inflammatory diseases of internal organs (cystitis, adnexitis, pyelonephritis, etc.), it is worth remembering that the exacerbation of chronic diseases of this kind is never accompanied by bleeding,
- pain syndrome can cause abnormalities in the bowels, accompanied by constipation and gas.
The nature of the pain can be very intense, which makes you wonder why pregnant women have a severe stomach ache, which can mean. Severe pain, especially if it is accompanied by bloody discharge, may indicate ectopic pregnancy. In the event of its occurrence, the ovum is fastened not in the uterus, as it should be, but in the fallopian tube. As the germ grows, it grows and this can rupture the tube and cause death to the woman.
Pain in ectopic pregnancy will have the following features:
- pain stabbing nature, permeates the entire abdomen,
- pain paroxysmal, like contractions, strong and frequent,
- accompanied by bleeding or secretions of brown color (the color depends on whether the fallopian tube ruptured or only ruptured)
- concomitant symptom may be spasms in the lower back,
- duration of pain - from several days to a month.
Another reason why a pregnant woman has a pain in the lower abdomen is spontaneous abortion, that is, miscarriage. In this case, the woman will experience severe pain in the groin, they can give to the back. Also observed bloody discharge. If this happens, you need to urgently call an ambulance and to take a horizontal position before her arrival.
If obscure chunks or clots began to come out with the blood, this suggests that the miscarriage has already happened. In this case, it is still necessary to visit the gynecologist to determine whether the fertilized egg is completely out or not. Its remains can cause purulent and inflammatory processes in a woman’s body.
The most common reason why pregnant women have a stomachache is also missed abortion. During the first trimester, the development of the fetus, for various reasons, may stop. As a result, he dies. In this case, the feeling of heaviness in the groin is added to the painful sensations.
After some time, the dead fruit begins to rot, which is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- unpleasant smell from the woman's vagina,
- bloody issues,
- painful condition in the lower abdomen.
All this suggests that the uterus itself is trying to expel the dead fetus. If you ignore this, then septic intoxication may develop. She is very dangerous to the life and health of women.
In such a situation, the only option is to remove the dead embryo. But if this is done on time, then it will be possible to avoid undesirable consequences and in the future a woman may again become pregnant and bear the child.
Physiological causes of pain in late pregnancy
Why pregnant women have lower abdomen pain in late pregnancy, the question is quite frequent. The reasons may be many. For example:
- Disorders in the bowels - this is constipation, and increased gas formation, and dietary disorders, and food intake schedule. All this causes discomfort in the lower abdomen. The intestine during pregnancy, so it is necessary not sweet, because it puts pressure on the growing uterus. As well as the action of hormones makes it work sluggish, food moves slowly, causing constipation. If a woman on top of all this neglects the basic rules of nutrition, then the pain caused by intestinal problems will be permanent.
- Stretching ligaments - one of the main causes of pain. It is already difficult for the ligaments to support the grown uterus, therefore, the closer the moment of birth, the more often the stomach can ache and ache. Such pains are also characterized by irradiation to the lower back and increased with sudden movements, coughing or sneezing.
- The tension of the abdominal muscles also occurs due to the growth of the uterus and fetus.
Pathological conditions in the late stages
In the last months of pregnancy, abdominal pain can also mean the development of any pathological conditions that threaten mother and child. It may be:
- Exacerbation of chronic inflammatory processes. They can be localized in the pancreas (pancreatitis), kidney (pyelonephritis) or bladder (cystitis). The nature of the pain in this case will be sharp, long and pressing. Very often, except for pain, there is an increase in body temperature, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness.
- Premature birth. In this case, the pain will be pulling, aching, rolling in the lower back. Also, this process is accompanied by a change in the nature of the discharge: they become watery or, conversely, viscous, pinkish, scarlet or streaked with blood. All this testifies to the discharge of mucus plug, the opening of the cervix and the possible leakage of amniotic fluid.
- Placental abruption. Normally, it comes out after the birth of the child, therefore, its premature detachment is fraught with the death of both the mother and the fetus. Here we need urgent surgical intervention. This is usually accompanied by severe pain and bleeding. Causes may be abdominal injuries, physical overstrain, late toxicosis and hypertension.
- Uterine rupture. Occurs when there is a scar from abdominal surgery or cesarean section in the past.
Upper abdominal pain
Pain can occur not only in the groin area, but also affect other parts of the peritoneum. Let us see why a pregnant woman has a stomach ache.
The increasing uterus presses not only on the organs that lie below, but also on those located above. In particular, it affects the liver and gallbladder, which can be the cause of pain.
When the baby in the womb is already big enough that her mother can feel it, this can also cause pain. They depend on the position of the fetus in the uterus. Fetal activity may also cause mom discomfort. In addition, it may still be accompanied by a lack of appetite, heaviness, bloating, bitterness in the mouth and heartburn.
And what if appendicitis?
During the carrying of the child increases the risk of inflammation of the appendix. For the same reason, many wonder why a pregnant woman has a pain in the right side of the abdomen? Suddenly is appendicitis? You should not immediately sin on the appendix, it may be nothing to do with. For example, if the sensations arose in the early stages, then this can only mean that the embryo is attached on the right side. However, a completely different picture will be on 2 and 3 trimesters.
To distinguish appendicitis from other causes, you need to pay attention to the associated symptoms:
- increased pain in tension of the muscles of the abdominal cavity,
- nausea, vomiting,
What to do?
Along with the question of why a pregnant woman has a stomach ache, many think about what to do in such a situation? The best option would be to consult a doctor. He will diagnose the condition and determine the complex of necessary measures. It is important that a pregnant woman does not wind herself up and does not assume the worst of the options. Modern medicine can do a lot.
You also need to determine what could cause pain. If it is not strong, then a possible cause is a disorder of the gastrointestinal tract, bloating or use of a certain product.
It is also important where the pain is located and what is their nature. If the pain is nagging, not severe and not long-lasting, then you can most likely do without an immediate visit to the doctor. But on a routine inspection report about the discomfort is still necessary.
Traditional medicine and proper nutrition
Pondering why a pregnant woman has a lower abdominal pain, you should not resort to traditional medicine. While carrying a child - it can only hurt. Many procedures, while not knowing the true cause of the pain, can worsen the condition of a woman and, especially, a child.
For women in the position it is also important to adhere to proper nutrition. It is recommended to limit the use of heavy, fatty, spicy and salty foods. Excessive consumption of sweet and flour products also will not benefit. It is necessary to exclude products that provoke flatulence. For normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract requires moderate exercise, so go to bed after eating is highly undesirable.
When should I turn to a specialist?
Why pregnant women have a stomachache, we figured it out. But one more question remains: “When is it necessary to visit a doctor on an emergency basis, and when can you just be patient?”.
If the pain does not cause great inconvenience and disappears, it is enough just to lie down, then this is just a concomitant symptom of an interesting situation and it should pass soon.
But, if you observe the following, then you need to urgently visit the gynecologist:
- Pains in the form of contractions, which tend to increase. Can talk about miscarriage, but here you can not hesitate. Perhaps the crumb can still be saved.
- Heaviness in the groin area. Indirect sign of missed abortion.
- Sharp, constant pain, especially if it is localized on one side. May mean improper attachment of the ovum, and, consequently, ectopic pregnancy.
- Bleeding. By the way, it may not be accompanied by discomfort, but normally it should not be.
Checklist for those who have a stomachache during pregnancy
Signs that everything is alright Stomach pain in pregnancy: the pain is not too strong, it goes away when you rest or change position or after going to the toilet. Therefore, the algorithm will be as follows:
- Take a comfortable position.
- Relax and try to relax. Give yourself half an hour during which you will be busy searching for a comfortable position.
- Think about what could have caused the pain: remember what you ate and when you last went to the toilet.
- Check for suspicious vaginal discharge.
Why does the stomach hurt during pregnancy
First, the stomach can hurt for the most banal reasons that are not related to pregnancy: you ate something wrong, you either ate too much, or caught a mild infection, or you just have dyspepsia (indigestion). Maybe you have untreated gynecological diseases - these are all those diseases that appeared before pregnancy and independently of it.
Secondly, during pregnancy increases the risk of constipation, which can also hurt the stomach. So you need to carefully monitor the diet and eat more fiber (that is, fresh fruits and vegetables) so that the chair is regular. If the diet does not help, you should use laxatives that are allowed for pregnant women. For example, lactulose syrup or regular glycerin suppositories.
Thirdly, there are specific causes of pain, which are associated precisely with the new situation. And they can be divided into two large groups: non-dangerous and dangerous.
When the fetus grows in size, the uterus is stretched Abdominal Pain During Pregnancy: Is it Gas Pain or Something Else? that in itself can be unpleasant. But with the uterus stretched and ligaments that support it. Someone is lucky not to feel anything like that for all nine months, but someone has to constantly look for a comfortable position in the second half of pregnancy when the fetus becomes large.
They appear closer to childbirth, in the third trimester. With them, the cervix does not open, and nothing threatens pregnancy. Abdominal Pain During Pregnancy. From the real fights they are distinguished by their strength (the training ones are rather soft) and regularity. Real contractions are intensified and constantly increasing, and training ones come and go when they like.
The placenta is a temporary organ that connects the fetus to the uterus. It is through the placenta that the fetus gets everything necessary for growth. Normally, the placenta fits tightly to the uterus and is separated only after delivery. But sometimes partial or complete detachment of the placenta occurs earlier.
This condition causes severe pain and can be dangerous both for the fetus and for the mother Baby Belly Aches: 13 Causes of Abdominal Pain in Pregnancy. Salvation is one thing - to call the ambulance if the pain in the stomach does not go away after a rest and a change of position. Bleeding in detachment is internal and easy to miss. So do not hesitate to seek the help of doctors during pregnancy.
Pregnant women are rare, but the appendix is inflamed - approximately in one of the thousands of cases of Appendicitis in pregnancy. Perhaps the fault of the movement of internal organs.
The danger is that an inflamed appendix is difficult to diagnose. For example, if the uterus "pushed" the appendix of the cecum back. Just noticed appendicitis, as a rule, does not create a threat of pregnancy. The operation and general anesthesia, of course, are not particularly useful for the fetus, but they also do not mean that with its further development there will be something wrong.