Rehabilitation Tips for Laparoscopic Ovarian Cyst Removal
A practically non-symptomatic ovarian cyst belongs to a type of benign neoplasm. It is a bubble filled with liquid secretion and tends to grow as fluid accumulates.
In case of late diagnosis, a cyst can cause anxiety, manifested in failures of the menstrual cycle, pain. If you do not start taking measures, then extremely serious complications are possible: rupture of the shell, twisting the legs. The decision on the need and type of operation - in the form of innovative laparoscopy or traditional laparotomy - is made after detailed examinations.
The stage preceding surgery should be properly organized. About a week before the removal of the identified cyst, you need to go on a special diet, eliminating the following products from the diet:
- fat meat,
- black bread,
- dairy products,
- raw vegetables,
- flour pastry,
- carbonated drinks.
In order for the operation to be successful, the patient is scheduled to undergo a series of blood tests: general, clotting, biochemical, and rhesus factor determination. A laboratory study of urine, and the presence of infectious diseases.
Since the stomach must be empty at the time of the operation, it is allowed to eat food the night before no later than 18:00, and the last use of water is allowed no later than 22:00. It is also common practice to use laxatives in the evening, as well as evening and morning cleaning of the intestines by means of an enema.
Types of operations
There are several types of operations used for the surgical removal of an ovarian cyst. They are appointed in accordance with the complexity of the pathological process identified during the diagnostic study.
The method of laparoscopy is considered the most benign. Such an operation is carried out through the introduction of special endosurgical instruments through incisions with small sizes - 0.5 - 2.0 cm. This makes it possible to minimize postoperative complications and significantly reduce the rehabilitation period.
Laparoscopic removal of cystic formations can be performed in various volumes.
- Ovariectomy - complete removal of the ovary.
- Tubectomy - removal of the fallopian tube.
- Adnexectomy - the combination of the two previous types of surgical treatment.
- Cystectomy is the procedure of laparoscopy, in which the cyst is carefully removed by expelling it from the bed that formed during growth, while maintaining the healthy surrounding tissues of the ovary, without impairing its functionality.
- A wedge resection of two or one ovary involves the removal of a cyst in parallel with the surrounding tissues. For this, laparoscopy technology is used to make punctures and a cone-shaped tissue section is cut out along with pathological formation.
- Biopsy - ovarian tissue sampling for subsequent histological examination - in case of suspicion of the presence of a malignant tumor.
- Laparotomy - a more serious operation, involving the implementation of the traditional, large, incision. Such abdominal procedure becomes necessary if a purulent process is detected. Additional indications are numerous adhesions or marked swelling.
In cases of detection of a malignant process in the tissues of the ovary, abdominal laparotomy will also be necessary, with a mandatory histological examination of the tissue samples taken. This type of surgery often shows complications compared to laparoscopy because of the wider area of tissue dissection.
General algorithm for laparoscopy
The sequence of manipulations during laparoscopy on the ovaries obeys the general algorithm.
- General anesthesia is given.
- Small cuts are made (usually no more than 2 cm long).
- The probe moves apart the subcutaneous tissues and muscles.
- Tubes are placed in the cuts, intended for the subsequent insertion through them of the tools necessary for the operation.
- Pre-carbon dioxide is fed into the cavity, contributing to the expansion of the internal organs to improve visibility.
- Along with surgical instruments, a tube equipped with a flashlight is inserted through the tubes (manipulators). The image is projected onto the screen, allowing the surgeon to precisely coordinate his actions and to assess the state of the ovaries to the full extent.
- After all the planned actions are completed, the tubes are removed and the cuts are sutured.
Benefits of laparoscopy
Laparoscopy has a number of undeniable advantages compared with laparotomy. First of all, this is a reduction in traumatic tissue damage, since the incisions are much smaller. The same circumstance is due in the future the presence of small, almost imperceptible scars that do not cause discomfort in aesthetic terms. There is also a rarer occurrence of adhesive processes. Sometimes postoperative inflammation develops. An important factor for active and working women is a significant reduction in terms of the recovery period.
Contraindications for laparoscopy
Despite the fact that the sparing technique of laparoscopy quickly entered surgical practice, including gynecology, it has a number of contraindications in case of removal of an ovarian cyst. These include the following pathological and physiological conditions of the patient's body:
- serious adhesive effect
- heart disease in the acute stage,
- acute liver or kidney failure,
- decompensated pathology of the respiratory system,
- bronchial asthma,
- blood clotting problems
- cancer pathology in the genital system.
If there are inflammatory lesions in the ovaries, they should be cured. The operation is possible not earlier than one month after the infectious and catarrhal diseases.
The extent of the need for rehabilitation after removal of a cyst and its duration depends on the method used.
If abdominal dissection was performed to remove ovarian lesions, then it will take objectively more time to effectively restore health after the operation than when using a laparoscopy technique.
Usually, after a cyst is removed by laparoscopy, a woman who has recovered after anesthesia is allowed to go up after four hours. The next day, prescribed mandatory physical activity. This is due to the fact that the operation involves the introduction of gas into the plane of the abdominal cavity, which remains in insignificant amounts and causes some discomfort. In addition to movement, fractional nutrition is recommended to normalize the functioning of the intestine.
If the cyst had significant size or complicated forms, then the operation involves the capture of fairly large areas. In such cases, anesthetic injections after removal of the formation may be needed within seven days, whereas with simple manipulations two days are sufficient. Antibiotics are prescribed only when negative inflammatory foci are detected.
Usually, if an operation to remove an uncomplicated ovarian cyst involves the use of laparoscopy technology, patients are discharged on the sixth day. At home, rehabilitation lasts up to three months. Its duration is individual and depends on the general state of health, age.
Postoperative rehabilitation includes general recommendations and limitations for all:
- treatment of incisions with special disinfectants for seven days,
- for a month, refusal to take baths, baths, saunas, swimming pools, beaches, showers are allowed after fifteen days after the operation,
- depending on how complicated the operation was, sex is prohibited for 2-4 weeks,
- limiting even the minimum physical activity for thirty days,
- three-week diet with the exception of fatty, fried foods, pickles and marinades, alcohol, carbonated drinks.
All the precautions recommended by the doctor, as well as the prescribed physiotherapeutic procedures, homeopathic treatment should be carried out in full. Only this will help to forget about the disease, and the recovery will be easy and without negative consequences. Planning a pregnancy is allowed only after three months, but the doctor gives you more specific personalized recommendations on discharge.
Complications are detected most often after laparotomy. This can be quite a strong pain syndrome, often there are bleeding, infection of the seam. Damage occurs during the operation of the intestine or the surface tissues of the bladder. The usual after removal of a cyst is the formation of adhesions.
Serious complications after laparoscopy in practice are less common, although there are cases of infection, as well as internal damage. Regardless of the type of operation, negative reactions to the anesthesia can occur.
Among the effects of cyst removal are extremely severe complications that are rare. These are damages in the fallopian tube, which may contribute to ectopic pregnancy. Sometimes it is necessary to remove both ovaries if extensive perforations of their tissues were applied.
There may be several signs of infection after laparoscopy or laparotomy:
- severe prolonged pain, localized in the abdominal area,
- temperature rise,
- dark, often unpleasant-smelling, vaginal discharge.
Any negative manifestation should not be overlooked and requires immediate medical attention.
How To Recover From Surgery To Remove Ovarian Cysts
Operations on the removal of ovarian cyst by laparoscopy every year is carried out more and more. This tendency is explained by the deterioration in the quality of life - poor nutrition, unfavorable environmental conditions, constant stress, and most importantly, a careless attitude to their own health. All this eventually leads to the appearance of an ovarian cyst, which is not the most dangerous but rather insidious tumor, which can seriously reduce the chances of pregnancy. That is why more and more women fall on the operating table to remove a cyst and live a healthy, fulfilling life.
In this article we will understand the causes of the formation of cysts, as well as tell about how the surgery is and how to restore the body after surgery.
Why does a cyst appear?
Cyst in medicine is called a benign tumor that occurs on the background of hormonal failure. Disruption of hormone production leads to a situation in which an egg cell, which at some point must come out of the follicle and connect with the sperm cell, does not leave the ovary, and a little later the follicle becomes filled with fluid, becoming a cyst. By itself, such a tumor is not dangerous, however, the appeared tumor at any time may begin to grow in size and fester, increasing the risk of rupture and development of peritonitis. In addition, it is often the cyst that prevents a woman from getting pregnant, and therefore, in order not to endanger her health and have a chance to have a child, a woman decides to undergo an operation.
Surgeons perform the removal of cysts by the least traumatic method - laparoscopy. During this procedure, performed under general anesthesia, the patient in the abdomen has three small punctures, inserting medical instruments and a camera through them. And so that nothing prevents the removal of a cyst, a specially prepared gas is pumped into the patient's peritoneum. Such an operation is carried out for no more than 40 minutes, and the result of surgical manipulations is getting rid of a cyst and three almost invisible sutures.
It is worth noting that the recovery process after the laparoscopic removal method is much faster than after the usual operation. And in order to speed up the recovery and avoid postoperative complications, it is important to adhere to the basic stages of rehabilitation prescribed by the gynecologist. We list them:
1. Acceptance of hormonal drugs. In order to facilitate the functioning of the ovaries and prevent the recurrence of cysts, the patient may be prescribed antigonadotropins or synthetic progestins. Usually take them from the first day to the next menstruation.
2. Magnetotherapy with effects on the operated area. This procedure helps to relieve pain and prevent the inflammatory process.
3. Laser radiation. Such low-intensity radiation helps prevent possible relapses.
4. Phonophoresis. Improves metabolic processes in tissues and contributes to their speedy recovery. It is better to start the procedure one month after the intervention, combining the effects of phonophoresis with the use of drugs, for example, hydrocortisone.
5. Ozonoterpy. The procedure improves blood circulation, increases the body’s immune defense and has a bactericidal effect.
In addition, during the month after surgery, the patient should follow a split diet, drink vitamin complexes (necessarily including ascorbic acid), and show moderate physical activity.
Pain after surgery
Pain - constant satellites of the postoperative recovery period. And even if the pains after skin punctures are transferred incomparably easier than after a normal operation, for several days or even weeks they can be a serious problem for the operated patient. To minimize discomfort, painkillers are prescribed to the woman, and they also recommend not making any sudden movements.
Another thing is the gas, which fill the peritoneum for the operation. He exerts a serious pressure on the internal organs, because of which the patient feels aches and pains in the lower back and back for several days after the intervention. In order to normalize the condition as soon as possible, it is necessary to walk more, making walks of 2-3 p / day. Medicine in this situation does not bring relief.
Possible discharge after surgery
During the recovery period, various uncharacteristic discharges may appear from the patient's vagina. During the first 3-4 days they can be bloody, which, with a small volume, can be considered the norm. For two weeks after the intervention, clear mucus can be released, and this is also normal. It is necessary to score an alarm in case of heavy bleeding or the appearance of thick yellowish mucus.
When discharged from the hospital and removed the stitches
We will immediately say that already three hours after the operation in question, the patient can stand up on her own feet. Moreover, doctors strongly recommend starting to move right away, the main thing is to do it smoothly, so as not to damage the seams.
If the surgery is successful, the woman can be discharged from the hospital on the 3rd day. However, practice shows that in most cases discharge occurs on the 5th day, after which up to 10 days it will be on sick leave. In order for the recovery to occur more intensively, it is important to follow the medical recommendations, namely:
- for 1 month, do not take a bath or go to the bath (shower only),
- within thirty days after surgery, you should avoid any physical activity,
- to lift weights after such an operation is prohibited for 3 months,
- it is worth refusing from long hikes and trips,
- sexual intercourse should be avoided for 4 weeks, and unprotected intimacy for several more months, since experts do not recommend getting pregnant for the first six months after cyst removal.
If we talk about the seams (one is located in the navel, and two - just below), then every day for a week they need to be disinfected, and, if necessary, drained. Complete healing of the sutures takes about 8–10 days, after which they become almost imperceptible. By this time, the woman should visit the doctor to remove the stitches.
Monthly after surgery
In the event that the surgical procedure has passed without complications, the menstrual cycle should begin on time. However, the majority of patients who have undergone this operation, report that they have menstruation only two cycles after laparoscopy. This period of delay can be considered the norm, but if it drags on even more, you need to visit a doctor and get tested. In addition, during the first months after surgery, the duration and nature of the menstrual flow may vary, which should also be noted. In this regard, the alarm should be abundant and prolonged periods.
Doctors strongly do not recommend eating food on the day of surgery. Допускается лишь принимать чистую воду без газа. В первую неделю после операции разрешено употреблять жидкую или же хорошо перетертую пюреобразную пищу, готовить которую желательно на пару.From fried and canned foods, spicy and salty foods, as well as all sorts of sauces and marinades, the first 25-30 days after the operation should be avoided. You should not eat smoked meats, offal, as well as flour products. In addition, a week after the intervention is not recommended to eat raw vegetables and fruits.
During the recovery period it is useful to consume liquid soups and porridges, as well as pre-boiled and ground vegetables and fruits. You can start returning to the old diet in about a month.
Complications after cyst removal
Each woman is individual, and therefore it is impossible to predict in advance whether complications will arise after the intervention with the laparoscopic method. Practice shows that older women most often encounter such problems, especially those of the fair sex who have chronic ovarian diseases (polycystic). In addition, the human factor and problems that may arise during the operation cannot be excluded.
During the operation, general anesthesia is applied, after which, for a day or even two, the operated patients complain of nausea, vomiting, dizziness and headache. As a rule, these unpleasant symptoms disappear on their own, without harm to health.
During the operation, a situation in which the removal of the ovary will be necessary cannot be excluded. And this is a serious complication, because if one woman has one ovary, the chances of getting pregnant naturally decrease significantly.
In addition, if after laparoscopy a woman violates the doctor's recommendations, she lies a lot, moves a little and misses the prescribed physiotherapy, the risk of postoperative adhesions is high.
Among other possible complications of laparoscopy should be highlighted:
- dissection of adjacent vessels and, as a result, heavy bleeding,
- injury to adjacent tissues and organs due to poor visibility,
- allergic reaction to anesthesia or injected gas,
- fever after surgery, indicating an infectious disease and the development of the inflammatory process.
Noticing a fever, pain in the lower abdomen, dizziness, nausea and severe weakness, immediately call an ambulance or go to your doctor. All this testifies to the inflammatory process, which in no case can not be treated independently.
Can I get pregnant after removing an ovarian cyst
According to gynecologists, it is better to plan a pregnancy after the operation in question after 6 months, postponing this event until the full recovery of the body. This period should be spent on preparatory activities that will increase the chances of a woman to become pregnant.
Preparation for the upcoming pregnancy involves the following actions:
- both partners must give up alcohol and smoking,
- eat only healthy foods rich in vitamins,
- take folic acid for 3 months,
- to pass the necessary tests, excluding infectious diseases,
- move more,
- avoid stress
- get a consultation genetics,
- undergo ultrasound diagnostics
- be regularly monitored by a gynecologist,
- plan conception on ovulation days.
The method of laparoscopy allows a woman to remove a dangerous ovarian cyst in the most optimal way, with minimal trauma, the absence of complications and the possibility to leave the clinic within 3 days after the procedure. In addition, a qualitatively performed operation allows you to avoid recurrence of the disease and in the shortest possible time to fully restore the body. Good health to you!
How to deal with ovarian cysts?
An ovarian cyst is called an internal benign neoplasm, which is a bag of fluid or semi-liquid contents. Follicular cysts form from the natural structures of the ovary - from the corpus luteum that appears during ovulation. They have the ability to dissolve after 1-3 months spontaneously. Chocolate cysts occur with endometriosis - a cavity filled with blood appears in the ovary, which gradually thickens and darkens.
Mandatory removal requires cystadenomas and teratomas - dermatoid cysts, they belong to tumors, but have external signs of cysts.
Removal of an ovarian cyst is necessary, as the tumor may burst at any time. In addition, the presence of tumors significantly degrade the quality of life.
Symptoms of their appearance are severe pains on one side of the abdomen, aggravated by menstruation, coitus, physical exertion. When torsion or rupture of cysts, the temperature rises, nausea occurs.
The presence of cysts causes intermenstrual uterine bleeding, heavy menstruation or lack thereof.
Currently, the most commonly used method is laparoscopy to remove an ovarian cyst.
Such surgical intervention simultaneously gives the doctor the opportunity to clearly see the clinical picture and eliminate the disease. The scars after such an operation are minimal - only 3 small cuts are made in its process. This is necessary for the introduction of special equipment - tubes-trocars. They are equipped with tools and a video camera that transmits the image to a computer monitor.
Laparoscopy to remove a cyst from the fallopian tubes is performed under general anesthesia. First, carbon dioxide is fed into the abdominal cavity to straighten the organs and provide an overview, then the instruments are introduced. The cyst is removed entirely, then carbon dioxide is released and sutures are applied.
For complex operations to remove multiple cysts takes up to 3 hours of time, simple surgical procedures are performed in an hour. The patient is warned in advance that in complicated cases, it may be necessary to switch to a normal abdominal surgery.
The preparatory period for laparoscopic surgery is no different from preparing for a conventional surgical procedure:
- It is necessary to undergo examinations and collect analyzes. Consultation with a therapist is required, and then he determines which doctors are required to be examined. The tests also require routine, preoperative: general - blood and urine, biochemistry, clotting, Rh and group, the presence of infections - HIV, hepatitis, etc.,
- Be sure to conduct an ECG, do a fluorography, prescribe an ultrasound study,
- From the gynecology take smears: on the flora and cyto - determining the presence of atypical cells.
Before the operation, they clean the stomach with laxatives or give an enema, 10 hours before the surgery, it is already impossible to eat and eat.
Despite the fact that laparaskopicheskie operations are considered easy and the patient after them is allowed to get up by the evening, and on the 4-5 day she is discharged, the rehabilitation period takes from 4 to 6 weeks.
You can start to eat on day 2: first, fermented milk products, then add broths and steam cutlets or souffles to the diet. By 4-5 days, the usual types of food can be gradually introduced into the diet, but you need to analyze your own condition to prevent the appearance of constipation.
The stitches are removed on the 7-10 day, then they are required to be independently treated with local means, which accelerate the healing. In the future, apply ointment, accelerating the resorption of scars. In most cases, pain medication is required for several days, antibiotic therapy is prescribed to prevent infection. With proper treatment of scars and a gradual return to an active lifestyle, adhesions do not remain.
It is impossible to go in for sports for 6 weeks, go to the bath and sauna, to lead an excessively active lifestyle.
This may cause seam to diverge. For 2-3 weeks, sexual rest is necessary.
Menstrual cycles after cyst removal should be fully restored within a month. Delay of menstruation, abundant mucous discharge, hemming, temperature increase may indicate postoperative complications - if this is observed, you should consult a doctor. For large cysts, it may be necessary to remove the ovary, in which case pregnancy may become difficult in the future.
Complications after laparoscopy may be associated with the patient's individual perception of anesthesia and medical drugs, insufficient qualifications of the medical staff who performed the surgery.
Hormonal background after laparaskopicheskoy operation is fully restored within 4-6 months, so it is undesirable to plan a pregnancy earlier - you must carefully protect yourself.
The risk of infertility increases - 15% of women who have undergone surgery, to test motherhood fails.
However, it is worthwhile to immediately give other figures for comparison - after abdominal surgery to remove a cyst, pregnancy does not occur in 45% of women due to adhesions - it is the main cause of infertility.
The causes of cysts are the following factors:
- Cysts of the corpus luteum: hormonal imbalance caused by natural causes or hormonal contraceptives, chronic gynecological diseases,
- Serous cysts: endocrine system malfunction, infections and inflammatory processes in gynecological organs, the presence of surgical interventions on the pelvic organs,
- Endometriotic cysts are formed when the epithelium cells in menstruation in the fallopian tubes, tissue transfer during gynecological intervention from the uterine lining into the ovary, the pathological cells through the bloodstream, hormonal and immune disorders.
As you can see, the causes of cysts do not exclude the recurrence of the disease and prevent - in most cases - the repetition is impossible. With endometriotic cysts, the problem can be solved most successfully - by taking hormonal drugs, but in other cases, doctors cannot give a guarantee that the disease will not return.
Therefore, if after a few years there are pains that have already been experienced, you need to consult a doctor.
In women of reproductive age, a new growth is first attempted to be cured by a conservative method — by prescribing hormones, agents that improve the metabolic process in the ovaries, and with the help of physiotherapy.
At the age of 50, the risk of a malignant transition of a neoplasm is increased; therefore, a cyst in postmenopausal women is considered a reason for a planned operation.
After removal of ovarian cysts
Ovarian cyst often occurs in women of childbearing age. Get rid of this education helps modern surgical methods.
Laparoscopic cyst removal method in most cases allows you to save the ovaries. Patients after the operation from the first day can get out of bed. During this period, food should be predominantly liquid. The hospital stay is short and depends on the patient's condition, as well as on the volume of the operation.
Consequences of cyst removal
Often, the consequences of removing an ovarian cyst are severe. If a woman is under the regular supervision of a gynecologist, it is easier to diagnose a cyst at a very early stage and prescribe the necessary treatment. But it happens that the patient rarely comes to the doctor, and then when a cyst is detected, it turns out that it cannot be treated with drug therapy - surgery is required, and this has serious consequences, such as infertility.
Depending on the stage of the disease, only a cyst can be removed, but in severe cases the formation is removed along with the ovary. This creates certain problems with the future conception, and even makes it impossible. It happens that women, after the removal of one ovary, still became pregnant, but they nursed the child very hard.
Another serious consequence that can occur when an ovarian cyst is removed is the occurrence of adhesions in the fallopian tubes, which leads to the development of gynecological diseases and infertility. Unfortunately, adhesions are one of the consequences of the removal of an ovarian cyst by laparoscopy. Currently, this operation is a quick, simple and effective way to remove a cyst, as it is performed with minimal intervention in the functioning of the reproductive system. However, in this case there may be adhesions in the fallopian tubes. Therefore, in order to avoid this serious problem, it is necessary to undergo regular gynecological examination.
Some believe that after removal of an ovarian cyst, a woman becomes disabled, but this is not the case. Much depends on the lifestyle of a woman, her age, unwillingness or desire to have children and, of course, on her state of health. You need to be attentive to yourself, follow the recommendations of doctors, believe in the best, and then you will be able to avoid many troubles.
Planning for pregnancy after ovarian cyst removal
For women of childbearing age, it is very important to prevent the occurrence and development of adhesions in the pelvis. This can be avoided with endoscopic removal of ovarian cysts, and during abdominal operations, sadly, the risk of adhesions is higher. Quite often, surgeons have to perform endoscopic adhesions separation to eliminate possible causes of infertility.
With the help of new technologies and the possibility of using a high-precision endoscopic instrument, after removing a cyst, it is possible to maintain a normally functioning ovary. Of course, that after surgery, it should be observed at the gynecologist and undergo clinical and laboratory studies. Women who have undergone surgery to remove an ovarian cyst, experts to preserve the pregnancy prescribe special drugs.
But it is worth noting that in many cases, the removal of ovarian cysts is not a sentence, and women, under the supervision of specialists, bear and give birth to healthy children.
General "rules of conduct" after laparoscopy of a cyst on the ovary
The use of laparoscopy in gynecology has become a real gift for women who want to give birth, and for doctors - the gold standard of treatment for many female pathologies. If earlier removal of an ovarian cyst was a complete abdominal surgery and significantly reduced the possibility of further conception, now everything costs only four abdominal punctures and minimal trauma to healthy ovarian tissue.
However, despite the significant advantages of treating a cyst capsule with a laparoscope, women after such gynecological interventions should be informed and follow the following rules:
- Rehabilitation after laparoscopy of ovarian cysts, namely, the healing of peritoneal punctures and wounds on the organ, will last from 20 to 30 days. During this period, weight lifting and sports are prohibited, and physical activity should be increased gradually.
- In the first 20-24 hours after anesthesia, normal manifestations include: sleepiness, weakness, chills, acute and moderate abdominal pain. Also possible are discomfort in the throat (from the anesthetic tube), nauseous urges, short-term vomiting.
- You can get up after laparoscopy of the ovaries after only 5-7 hours. However, physical exertion should not be abused, even if you feel well. The first two days, take care and rest more. These days, the best treatment is peace.
- Do not worry if there is discomfort in the décolleté area, shoulders and / or neck 12-20 hours after ovarian laparoscopy. These manifestations are explained by the penetration into the body tissues of an inert gas that was pumped into the abdominal cavity during the operation. Such a malaise will pass in a day or two, and during this time ordinary analgesics will help.
- Menstruation after smoothing out polycystic cysts or removing a cyst can begin in the usual time, but it will be unusually plentiful and painful. Menstruation may begin ahead of time, then they will resemble a daub or bloody discharge.
- Loose clothes should be worn, and laparoscopic daily punctures should be treated with an antiseptic solution of potassium permanganate or chlorhexidine. For most women, punctures heal after 10 days.
- Performed laparoscopy of ovarian cyst in the postoperative period imposes a ban on sex life for 14-20 days. Take a bath, go to the pool, beach, sauna, as well as perform long journeys or flights, it is strongly not recommended until the end of rehabilitation.
- Eating after laparoscopy of an ovarian cyst requires special attention. Its principles will be discussed below.
Advice from the gynecologist-surgeon. In no case do not remove, even for "a few" minutes, compression stockings. Despite the discomfort and seemingly unnecessary, do not follow the examples of those operated women who took stockings earlier than the time recommended by the doctor. Compression knitwear is the best protection against the development of varicose veins and thrombophlebitis, which then have to be treated, in most cases, surgically.
Mode and diet
What can I eat after laparoscopy? After such a minimally invasive intervention, it is possible to drink non-carbonated water at room temperature almost immediately, but in small quantities and in small sips. А вот кушать лучше только на следующий день – начинайте с небольшого количества отварных овощей, слизистого супа или паровых куриных котлеток. Если мучает изжога, не «заедайте» ее овсянкой или сухариками, а примите омепразол.
Многие врачи утверждают, что определенной диеты после операции не существует. Нужно только отказаться от спиртных напитков и дробно есть легкую пищу маленькими порциями, не запивая их водой. Это не совсем верно. According to their requirements for postoperative nutrition, the diet after ovarian cyst laparoscopy is similar to the diet prescribed by nutritionists with a tendency to flatulence and constipation.
- juice, juice, green tea, herbal infusions,
- "Soda" without gas,
- wholemeal bread
- sauerkraut (raw),
- celery, chicory, fennel,
- dill, rosemary, thyme, mint,
- grapefruit, lemon, baked apples,
- flaxseed, aloe juice,
- fresh ginger tomatoes
- rice, buckwheat, oatmeal, barley, bran,
- lean meats and fish,
- hard cheese
- soft-boiled eggs, steam omelets,
- diet biscuits, dry biscuit.
- coffee, black tea, alcohol,
- carbonated drinks, kvass,
- fresh rye bread,
- smoked, fried, spicy, salty,
- mayonnaise, trans fats, sugar,
- seasonings with sodium glutamate,
- grapes, bananas, watermelon, peaches, pears,
- all beans, soybeans, asparagus, corn,
- potato, macaroni,
- all kinds of cabbage, onions, radishes,
- Bell pepper,
- milk, cream, sour cream,
- nuts, chocolate, ice cream, honey,
- oil creams, yeast pastries.
Diet for those prone to flatulence provides 1 hungry day in 7-10 days. During the unloading day of the meal, you can drink alkaline mineral water without gas or herbal tea. In order to get rid of gas, water should be heated such as Borjomi, Essentuki-4 or Luzhanskaya, up to 42 degrees. For the preparation of herbal infusions, it is better to take dill seed, chamomile, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger.
Another recommendation of nutritionists is the separate consumption of drinks and solid food. Drink liquids should be at least 30 minutes, but it is better 1 hour before meals, and 1-1.5 hours later. A reminder would not be superfluous that the amount of free fluid consumed should be in the range of one to two liters per day. Drinking before bedtime and at night is not recommended.
You can return to your usual diet 30 days after laparoscopic intervention. Nevertheless, the two rules of nutrition - to eat small meals in small portions, to consume protein and carbohydrate-containing foods separately - it is better to adhere to in the future.
On a note. Many are not aware that cold foods and drinks can contribute to increased gas formation. Therefore, in order for the diet to be effective, eat warm meals and drink at room temperature.
Postoperative manifestations requiring treatment by a specialist
And in conclusion, it should be clarified which symptoms and disorders of well-being after the treatment and discharge from the hospital require the woman to immediately contact her doctor:
- Intense pain in the lower abdomen. Pain in the ovary after laparoscopy is allowed only for 12-18 hours.
- Pain, marked redness of the skin, or suppuration at puncture sites.
- White, yellow or green vaginal discharge.
- The occurrence of haunting nausea. Vomiting lasting for several hours.
- The rise in body temperature above 38 degrees, which does not fall and lasts more than 24 hours.
- Confusion of consciousness, pre-unconsciousness, persistent strong weakness.
A quick call for help reduces the likelihood of complications, and thus increases the chances of a successful pregnancy in the future. In general, it should be observed at the gynecologist within 12 months after surgery.
Rehabilitation after laparoscopy of ovarian cysts
A situation where, during ovulation, the egg could not leave the ovary, causes accumulation of fluid, the appearance of a cavity - a cyst. The neoplasm can be inside and outside, provoke suppuration, hemorrhage, rupture. The operation to remove an ovarian cyst is carried out in a gentle laparoscopic manner; small sutures subsequently remain. Under general anesthesia, three small incisions are made in the anterior wall of the abdomen: the camera and instruments are passed through them. For the convenience of access to the site of surgical intervention, a special gas is pumped into the peritoneal cavity.
Recovery after laparoscopy of ovarian cysts occurs much faster than with abdominal interventions. In order to avoid complications, and the process was carried out actively, it is recommended:
- maintain a diet food,
- to play sports moderately
- take vitamins
- adhere to the recommendations of gynecologists,
- do physiotherapy.
What can you eat
It is undesirable to eat on the day of the operation, and on the following day: they drink only water, and that without gas. Next, to restore the bowels need to eat mashed food or steamed. It is good at this time to eat soups, cereals, bananas. After a month you can remove all restrictions. A diet after laparoscopy suggests eliminating for a while:
- fresh vegetables, fruits - the first week,
- flour food,
- smoked meats
- salty, spicy.
What secretions are considered normal
In the recovery stage after laparoscopy, ovarian cysts in patients may appear discharge. The first days they are bloody, a small amount - this is considered normal. For the next two weeks, clear mucus is possible. Sometimes there is scant bloody discharge. It should take care and consult a doctor when:
- heavy bleeding,
- discharge whitish, yellowish.
What to do if your stomach hurts
Pains often accompany recovery. They are localized in the area of sutures, the middle part of the abdomen, lasting several days - up to a week. To reduce it, it is recommended to take painkillers, not to make sudden movements, to rest. Due to the gas filling the peritoneum during surgery, pressure on the diaphragm occurs. It causes pains in the muscles of the body, pain in the back, neck. To cope with them, you need to actively move, walk. Drugs in this situation are useless.
On which day the stitches are removed
When laparoscopic surgery is performed, the patient can get up after 3 hours. It is recommended to start moving right away, but everything should happen smoothly. The seams should be treated every day during the week with disinfectants, if necessary, to conduct drainage. They fully heal in about eight days. A woman at this time often gets to work, but must come to the hospital to remove the stitches. The scars after laparoscopic surgery become imperceptible very quickly. So they look at the photo at discharge from the hospital - two below, and the third in the navel.
How much to stay in the hospital
If laparoscopic surgery was successful, without complications, discharge the patient on the third day. More often it happens on the fifth, and then prolong the sick leave even to ten. During this period, treatment ends and the body begins to recover after laparoscopy of an ovarian cyst. To ensure that recovery takes place more actively at discharge from the hospital, it is advisable to adhere to the recommendations:
- you can not take a month bath, bathe in the bath,
- sex after laparoscopy is allowed only after 4 weeks (not expected early pregnancy),
- limit physical activity for 30 days,
- not to travel during this period,
- 3 months can not be lifted
- water treatments to take in the shower.
When do monthly periods begin?
In case of successful removal of the cyst, the menstrual periods begin at the appropriate time, which increases the chances of getting pregnant. This is not always the case, everything is very individual. Patient reviews indicate that two cycles may be missed. With a longer delay, you should visit specialists. There is a possibility of changing the duration and nature of menstruation - this is normal, do not worry. Danger is represented by plentiful and long periods.
When can you plan a pregnancy after laparoscopy
Your plans to get pregnant, it is desirable to carry out six months after laparoscopic surgery, when there is a recovery of the body. Some measures are needed to guarantee pregnancy
- drink three months of folic acid,
- both partners give up smoking, alcohol,
- avoid stress
- eat healthy food with vitamins,
- move a lot
- observed by a gynecologist,
- pass tests
- eliminate genital infections
- be examined for ultrasound,
- get a consultation genetics,
- plan conception on ovulation days.
Ovarian cyst - effects after surgery
If the operation is done professionally, then the risk of recurrence of a cyst or the formation of another complication is not great, but it exists. May occur:
- Hemorrhages from the vagina.
- Hemorrhages and hematomas due to vascular damage during cyst removal.
- Blood clots
- Infection or inflammation of the tissues of the pelvic organs.
- Relapse of pathology.
Each of the symptoms is individual, its occurrence depends on the process of the operation and on the characteristics of the organism. The most favorable complete absence of complications after removal of ovarian cysts. Provocateurs can make:
- Alcohol and drug use, smoking.
- Current pregnancy, hormonal disorders, abortions.
- Excess weight.
- Various chronic diseases.
Relapse is rare. The doctor prescribes additional medications to help treat and protect against complications after the removal of an ovarian cyst. Diet, visits to the gynecologist will also help to avoid.
Spikes - a chance of infertility
Among other complications after laparoscopy, ovarian cysts, the worst - adhesions - special pathologies arising from the too long process of inflammation. It may become chronic, causing inflamed tissue to grow together. This pathology is considered to be anatomical and is not treated with drugs. The consequences of removing an ovarian cyst, and then a new lesion, can be changes in the area of the pelvic organs, leading to infertility.
The postoperative period at home
The largest period of time after removal is spent by the woman at home. The following tips improve the state of health during the recovery of the body after laparoscopy of ovarian cysts:
- It is necessary to avoid injury, do not overstrain the body for several weeks after removing or dissolving the stitches.
- It is necessary to exclude classes that contribute to physical stress on the body, not to make too sharp movements.
- Wearing clothing that creates pressure on the location of the seams is prohibited.
- During the first month after surgery, it is desirable to refrain from sexual intercourse.
- It is not recommended to apply any ointments or gels in the area of the sutures during their existence.
- Despite the itching, stitches cannot be scratched.
- It is necessary to exclude visiting places with excessive humidity and overheating. So, you can not take sunbathing, that is, sunbathe, go to the baths and the like. A shower is recommended to maintain hygiene.
- After laparoscopy, ovarian cysts need to follow a diet.
Symptoms for which you need to consult a doctor
The body is rehabilitated one month after surgery. The process is painless, but you need to monitor the body. There are several situations in which you may need to call an ambulance or visit a hospital:
- Severe pain after laparoscopy of ovarian cysts in the pelvic organs after 7-10 days after removal of the ovarian cyst.
- Allergic symptoms: redness, itching.
- Severe hemorrhage or liquid discharge of dark shades with a characteristic odor.
- Excessive body temperature after laparoscopy of ovarian cysts (38 degrees or more) over several days.
- General weakness.
- Improper functioning of the digestive tract: nausea, loose stools.
The manifestation of one of the symptoms indicates the appearance of a complication that must be resolved.
Recovery from the removal of an ovarian cyst requires some strength and takes a long time. Being in the hospital, after laparoscopy, and then at the hospital at home, be sure to maintain good health.
A cyst is a cavity in the ovary that contains fluid (a secondary fluid that must be excreted in the urine). The cyst itself is not as dangerous as the substances that are inside it. They should be eliminated, because with a long stay inside the body, they begin to decompose.
Recovery features depend on the age of the woman, the type of surgery and the drugs that were used during the treatment.
Consider the most common complications that occur after laparoscopy.
Laparoscopy - this is a minimally invasive surgery, which the patient practically does not injure. Recovery after cyst removal by this method is extremely short and does not cause discomfort.
Reactions observed after this operation:
- increased body temperature
- vomiting and nausea
It should be said that these effects were observed only in 2% of all patients and were easily eliminated with the help of vitamin complexes and physiotherapy.
As a rule, after one and a half weeks you can completely remove the stitches, and after two weeks you can return to your normal life.
When the anesthetic (anesthetic) stops acting, the following are observed:
- feeling of "wadded legs",
- lack of appetite,
- pain at the surgical site
- depressed mood
The main thing at this stage is rest.
The duration of the hospital
How many days will require rehabilitation after removal of a cyst, depends on the situation.
As a rule, the hospital period is calculated on the basis of the clinical norm for the disease (in our case 10 days) and half of this period, in order to visit the doctor again and, if necessary, extend the hospital period.
Thus, a standard sick leave lasts 15 days.
After a cyst has been removed, vitamin complexes are used, especially those containing iron. The female body loses large amounts of iron every month during menstruation. To restore the balance of trace elements, it is recommended to drink mineral water.
If you suffer pain, you can use painkillers, but only in the form of injections. They will act faster and will not harm the liver, which is already weakened by surgery and medications.
Antipyretic can be used only as a last resort, when other methods do not help. The fact is that substances that are part of them can increase inflammation and speed up blood flow at the site of surgery. If internal bleeding opens - you will need to go to the hospital.
Lifestyle and Diet
It is advisable to abandon simple sugars that cause fluid retention, swelling, increase pressure and stimulate inflammatory processes. Also, do not consume large amounts of spicy or salty foods.
Cooked fish or poultry meat, fresh vegetables, unsweetened fruits and citrus fruits (apples, pears, lemon, lime, grapefruit, pomelo, sweatti) are recommended. They contain little sugar and have the property to reduce inflammation and lower the temperature if it is above normal.
The above products in combination with a cool or contrast shower can speed the healing process several times.
In more detail about a diet after a laparoscopy of an ovary read here.
You need to go to bed at the same time, so the body will get ready for bed in advance and the quality of sleep will improve.
4-5 hours before bedtime, do not eat at all, or make a light snack. So, the body will restore damage more quickly, and not loaded organs of the gastrointestinal tract will provide good health in the morning.
Alcohol and tobacco products will slow down tissue regeneration by dissolving protein in the blood.
It is also better to postpone the sport and give the body a rest. So he will recover faster.
Why can the ovary hurt?
Any tissue hurts after surgery, including the ovary. The main thing at this point is not to take a large number of painkillers.
It is better to consult a doctor to accurately diagnose whether this pain is an ordinary normal post-operative response of the body or a complication.
Abdominal pain can be observed due to a violation of the secretion of hormones. Still, the operation took place on the ovary, and it is directly related to the release of female hormones.
Pregnancy after laparoscopy
Many women are interested in the question of when you can become pregnant after laparoscopy.
If the operation was successful and there were no complications in the postoperative period, the woman can return to her normal life and start planning a pregnancy. On reproductive and sexual function is not affected.
For reinsurance, you can visit the gynecologist once a year, thereby reducing the chances of the disease along the female line and the birth of a healthy child.