When a baby is born, its body is so weak that it requires constant care of parents. This concerns not only spiritual warmth, but rather moments from the point of view of health. The first six months, the child needs to be helped to moisturize the mucous membrane of the nasopharynx. The fact is that it depends on how often the baby will be sick. For washing the nose of the newborn using saline.
This tool consists of salt and distilled water. It can be purchased at the pharmacy (0.9% sodium chloride solution) or prepared by yourself at home.
Sodium chloride for washing the nasal cavity
Saline is a safe tool, it is always recommended by pediatricians. This medicine is used for washing purposes for the following reasons:
- it helps to moisten the mucous surface of the child’s nose,
- removes all types of pathogenic microbes that can settle in the nasal cavity,
- if the baby has a runny nose, it helps to thin the mucous accumulations, remove the "crusts",
- relieves inflammation,
- promotes the formation and maintenance of optimal microflora in the nasal cavity.
Such a tool can be bought in the form of drops or liquids. If to stop on the first variant, then the capacity already has a convenient form, and it is not difficult for the infant to drip the nose into the nose. But if you buy a simple solution, then you can not do without a pipette or syringe.
When is a rinse procedure required?
Many pediatricians recommend systematically cleaning the nasal cavity with this tool. This is due to several reasons:
- The drier the mucous membrane, the weaker it is before the attacks of microbes. In infants, the immune system is much weaker, it is not yet fully formed. The nose is one of the places where the thickness of the skin and mucous membrane remains minimal. So, the risk of infection of the baby is very high.
- Even if the parents do not have an allergic reaction, the newborn is not immune from this. The tool will help to clean not only the internal cavity, but also removes all potential allergens.
- The physiology of the pediatric nasopharynx is such that up to six months it is difficult for the baby to breathe, because all the airways have not yet been opened. This washing helps to remove even minor accumulations of mucus.
- And of course, the procedure prescribed for a cold. But you should not do it with a pipette, but with a syringe in order to remove the mucus plug under a slight pressure.
- Such washes help with rhinitis, sinusitis or inflammation of the adenoids.
You should know that even if the saline solution itself is not harmful, it does not mean that it can be used without consulting a doctor. The fact is that the mother may not notice that the baby has breathing problems not because of a blocked nose, but because he has a curvature of the nasal septum. Therefore, such moments should also be taken into account.
Instructions for flushing the nose
Many young mothers are afraid to wash their baby's nose. They can be understood. Such a baby lies and cannot even lift its head by itself. So, you should be very careful, but you should not be afraid. There are several steps:
- To flush the nose of the newborn, in addition to saline, you will need a pipette, a syringe, a pear syringe and cotton swabs.
- Next, you need to clean the baby nasal passages, for which with the help of a rubber pear pulled out all the mucus that has accumulated there. Such a tool can be replaced with a special tube with a rubber tip, one end of which is inserted into the nose of the child, and the second one draws in the air.
- In a syringe without needles, saline (up to 5 ml) is collected. The position of the child - lying on its side. The tool is injected into the nose, but with a slight pressure, until it becomes a mark on the syringe 2.5. Then put the baby on the other side and carry out a similar procedure for washing the other nostrils.
- After the drug is injected with a pear aspirator, the remains of mucus and solution are drawn out. Cotton swabs finally cleaned the nasal cavity. This flagellum is introduced to a depth of no more than 2 cm. From a hygiene point of view, a new tampon should be used for each nostril.
- If the procedure was carried out for the purpose of prophylaxis, then no further action will be required. But when the baby has a cold, after cleaning, you should also drip the medicine. And here it is necessary to choose it correctly, because not every tool will suit a child under one year old. Therefore, consultation with a pediatrician in this case is mandatory.
Rinsing should be monitored, as the infant may simply choke. If this happens, then it is laid on the stomach and lightly tapped between the shoulder blades. It is also important for parents to know that in no case should the head of a newborn be thrown back, otherwise the liquid may be poured into the Eustachian tube, and this is fraught with acute otitis. For the same reason, the medicine is injected with a small pressure.
Such washing with saline can be supplemented with herbal infusions of chamomile, calendula or sage. These plants will have a preventive effect on mucous surfaces, especially with regard to inflammation. It is not necessary to use infusions every day. They can be included in the autumn and spring periods, when there is an exacerbation of allergy sufferers. Thus, for children under one year this will be an additional protection.
When and for what purpose is the procedure done
Washing with saline sodium chloride is carried out in several cases.
- In the medical purposes at a cold or for prophylaxis. The procedure allows cleaning the mucosa from allergens, mucus and bacteria that have accumulated there.
- To moisturize the mucosa. When it dries out, it immediately loses the ability to protect the nose from viral infections.
How to prepare a solution for the procedure
A small child still does not know how to blow his own nose, so parents need to learn how to do nasal washing with saline alone.
What is saline? This is a dilute sodium chloride solution in water. It is not difficult to prepare it, the main thing is to know the correct percentage of salt.
The most physiological for the body salt concentration is 0.9%. To get this result, you can take a glass with a capacity of 250 ml, pour water into it and slowly add 2.5 grams of salt.
If the solution is made to the baby, then the salt can be used a little less.
Devices for the procedure
There are several devices with which you can make the washing of the nose of a child with sodium chloride.
- Pharmacies sell a special device for such a procedure. It looks like a small teapot with a handle and a rather narrow spout, which facilitates the injection of physical solution.
- A syringe, or a small rubber bulb.
- Often, baby saline has to be dripped into the nose with a pipette.
- One of the most convenient ways is to use a nebulizer for inhalation.
What is needed for the procedure
Before proceeding with the procedure of washing the mucous membrane with sodium chloride, parents need to check whether they have everything to do so.
At hand, you must have the following:
- cotton buds,
- washing tool
- cooked saline
- oil (you can take peach or apricot),
- drops prescribed by a doctor.
Apricot or peach oil is necessary in order to lubricate the child’s mucosa after the procedure. This will save him from unpleasant sensations.
Stages of the procedure
Washing with sodium chloride to the baby’s mucous consists of several basic steps.
- With the help of a small rubber pear from the nose of the child is removed mucus. This is necessary so that the saline solution penetrates more easily and does not flow back.
- If the procedure is performed with a syringe, then the needle is separated, and the diluted solution (5 ml) is drawn into the syringe. The child is laid on its side, his head is turned in the opposite direction. This is necessary so that the baby does not choke. If washing is done to a newborn, it is recommended to hold it with a pipette, drip a few drops of saline into each nostril.
- With the help of a pear, excess liquid and mucus residues are carefully removed. Next, take cotton swabs and clean the mucosa again. After the interaction with saline solution, the crusts in the nose will soften and will easily move away.
- After the above steps are completed, it is necessary to process the nasal passage with oil.
- When the mucous membrane of the baby is completely cleaned, the medicine prescribed by the doctor is injected. It is necessary to drip drops not more often than once at 6 o'clock. Duration of treatment is 2-3 days.
If the runny nose has not passed, you should consult with your doctor. He will already determine whether the medicine can continue to drip into the baby’s nose.
Drops, which most often the doctor prescribes a newborn:
Memo for parents
- If the sodium chloride solution was made at home, then before the introduction into the mucous membrane of the child must wait until it cools. The mixture should not be too cold or hot.
- It is impossible to immediately take the newborn to the street after washing the nasal cavity with saline saline solution. Within an hour it is necessary to trace the condition of the child at home.
- When washing the mucous, it is important to control the jet pressure so that it is not too strong. Otherwise it may damage the nasal cavity of the newborn.
- Before you rinse your nose with baby saline saline solution or aquamaris, you need to consult with your doctor.
- Saline, purchased in a pharmacy, sterile, and homemade mix - no.
The main advantage of nasal washing with saline is the simplicity and accessibility of the procedure, because it is very easy to prepare it. The effect is noticeable after the first application. The baby's mucous is cleared, breathing is easier. As a result, sleep normalizes, the child eats better. It is important for parents not to forget the basic rules of the procedure and not to do anything without a doctor's prescription.
Why wash a nose for a child?
The causes of nasal congestion in young children can be completely different. The condition is provoked by colds, allergies, too dry air in the room, the beginning of teething (we recommend to read: how are snot treated with teething according to Komarovsky?). Abundant nasal discharge significantly complicates the life of the baby. To solve the problem, it is necessary to establish the exact cause and take effective measures:
- If a runny nose has arisen as a response to dry air, it is necessary to purchase a hygrometer and adjust the humidity of the air with a humidifier and frequent airing.
- In case of allergic nature of the common cold, it is necessary to get rid of the irritant and daily carry out wet cleaning in the house.
- In the presence of a viral disease, mucous secretions are a protective reaction of the body. Discharge from the nose in this case may be particularly thick. It is necessary to provide the child with abundant drinking and often ventilate the room.
If the child has a stuffy nose, then he begins to breathe through his mouth (we recommend reading: what to do if the child does not breathe through the nose, but there is no snot?). Babies who are breastfed or bottle-fed become moody and tearful, as they cannot both eat and breathe. Sleep is disturbed - with nasal congestion, babies in a dream sniffle and grunt.
Congestion can provoke the development of a cold. Under normal physiological respiration, the air, passing through the nasal passages, is purified and warmed. During oral breathing cold air immediately enters the bronchi.
Indications and contraindications for nasal washing with saline
Saline is a sterile solution of sodium chloride of low concentration. Saline is often used in medicine:
- dilution of powder preparations for use as injections,
- removal of toxic substances from the body in various kinds of poisoning,
- replenishment of fluid deficiency during dehydration,
- washing the mouth, eyes, genitals.
Although low concentrated sodium chloride is a safe substance, there are contraindications to its use. Nasal washing with saline solutions is contraindicated in the following cases:
- in the presence of polyps and other tumors in the nasopharynx,
- the fragility of the capillaries of the nasal cavity,
- severe swelling of the mucous,
- individual intolerance to salt.
How to make saline at home?
Saline in a bottle of 400 ml costs from 30 to 60 rubles, you can buy it at any pharmacy without a prescription. In the event that it is not possible to buy a solution in a pharmacy, it can be prepared at home.
Saline can be easily and quickly cook yourself
To make the washing solution, you will need 1 liter of water and 1 teaspoon of table salt. When adding 1 drop of iodine, the solution acquires antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
The order of preparation of the solution:
- to boil water,
- dissolve salt in it
- thoroughly strain the resulting liquid through a cloth
- cool to room temperature.
How to perform the procedure?
In order for the treatment to be effective, it is necessary to properly flush the baby’s nose with saline. The method of implementation depends on the age - washing the nasal passages to a month-old baby differs from treating a child older than one year. Before the procedure, you need to visit the doctor - the pediatrician will give the necessary recommendations and explain what devices are needed for the procedure.
Instructions for washing the nose of a newborn baby
To wash the nasal passages of a newborn, you will need to purchase a cotton wool, a sterile pipette, a special baby aspirator or a small rubber bulb. The solution can be bought at a pharmacy or prepared by yourself.
Initially, the child's nose is cleaned from dried crusts. To do this, put the baby on his back, slightly moisten cotton wool flagella in boiled water, and carefully remove dirt from the outside. After that you need to drip a pipette into each nostril 1-2 drops of washing solution. It is necessary to wait for a while until the liquid dissolves the dried mucus in the nose. Aspirator or a rubber bulb should suck the softened mucus from the right and left nostrils.
The final stage - cleaning the nose with dry cotton flagella. Special care should be taken when performing manipulations, since newborns have narrow nasal passages and tender, vulnerable nasal mucosa.
Performing the procedure for a child older than one year
Rinse the nose of a child under 3 years of age can be as follows. If the baby already knows how to blow one's nose, you need to ask him to blow his nose and help him to clean his right and left nostrils alternately. Kids older than a year can drip 2-4 drops of saline into the spout to soften dried crusts.
To flush the nasal passages, you will need to prepare a soft-tipped rubber bulb or a syringe without a needle. The child should bow his head over the sink and turn it to the side so that one nostril is slightly higher than the other. The mouth of the baby during the procedure should be slightly open.
In the "upper" nostril it is necessary to slowly, without creating pressure, pour the prepared saline solution with a rubber bulb or syringe. In this case, the injected fluid should be poured out of the “lower” nostril along with the mucus accumulated in the nose. In this way, the right and left nostrils are alternately cleaned.
How often can I wash?
Do not rinse the baby's nose on its own initiative. Prescribe therapeutic manipulations should doctor. The frequency of the procedures is influenced by the degree of nasal congestion and the intensity of mucus production.
It is recommended to resort to washing in cases where nasal congestion affects the quality of life of the baby - sleep, nutrition, disturbance and moodiness appear. Allowed to use saline solution for washing the nasal passages in newborns up to 3 times a day for no more than 7 days in a row. Uncontrolled procedures destroy the natural protective barrier of the mucous membrane and cause increased dryness in the nasopharynx.
Too frequent washing in older children causes:
- reduction of local immunological reactivity of mucous membranes,
- nasal irritation,
- psychoemotional discomfort in the baby,
- increased mucosal edema and aggravation of congestion.
What other drugs can be used for washing the nose?
Sodium chloride solution has many effective analogues. The most popular substitutes for saline are pharmaceutical fluids with purified sea water in the composition. Means for washing are produced in sprays and bottles, equipped with pipettes. Parents can use Aqualor, Otrivin, Quicks, Dolphin (we recommend reading: instructions for use "Aqualor Baby Soft Shower").
Of the pharmaceutical preparations, Aquamaris, containing isotonic seawater with minerals, is well established. Для малышей первых лет жизни Аквамарис выпускается в виде увлажняющих капель, он абсолютно безопасен в использовании (рекомендуем прочитать: Аквамарис для новорожденных — инструкция по применению капель). Спрей Аквамарис рекомендуется к применению детям от 3 лет и старше.
In the absence of serious complications in the form of rhinitis, the doctor may prescribe in addition to the main treatment the use of herbal infusions and decoctions. For example, chamomile tea has a pronounced anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effect and can be used from the first days of a child’s life (see also: how to brew chamomile correctly for bathing a newborn?).
How the nasal lavage with saline is performed correctly can be seen in the video for the article.
A few words about the saline
Before rinsing the baby’s nose with saline, you should find out what the drug is and what it is used for. This tool is considered to be an analogue of medical preparations developed for washing the nasal cavity in both adults and children, starting in infancy. The liquid is a 0.9% aqueous solution of sodium chloride and is widely used in medicine in droppers, injections, enemas during dehydration, intoxication, toxemia, puffiness, and large blood loss.
Saline is used for:
- inhalations in nebulizers,
- breeding medications,
- reduce the pain of drug administration,
- soaking wound dressings to improve the removal of pus.
An isotonic fluid precisely in this concentration is contained in the tissues and structures of the body, therefore it is considered absolutely harmless. If it is necessary to wash the nose of an infant, then it is better to stop on the saline solution, as it does not cause discomfort and pain, and quickly helps to solve the problem with breathing.
The benefits of nasal washing with saline
Many mummies are interested in why wash the nose of a newborn. The main causes of nasal breathing problems in babies can be:
It is very important to identify the true cause of the indisposition and try to eliminate it. With a cold, caused by dry air, you should adjust the humidity of the room and often air it - comfortable humidity for newborns. If the congestion is associated with allergies, then you need to identify the stimulus and eliminate it. Viral disease provokes the secretion of mucus, which is a protective, quite natural reaction. In this case, the baby needs to drink plenty of and observe the doctor.
If the baby began to breathe through the mouth due to a blocked nose, then he begins to be naughty and nervous, and the feeding process becomes very difficult. Eating and simultaneously breathing the baby is prevented by mucus accumulated in the nose. He does not sleep well, often wakes up.
To relieve the infant from the inconvenience and painlessly release the breath, it is necessary to carry out regular washing. Whether it is possible to drip saline into the baby’s breast, the pediatrician will say. This medicine is not strictly contraindicated for use in babies.
But it is not recommended to drip when:
- detection of polyposis and other tumors in the nasal cavity,
- increased fragility of the vascular walls,
- severe swelling of the sinuses,
How to prepare for washing
Infant children still do not know how to show off, so parents need to periodically flush their nose with saline. For the manipulation will require:
- several cotton tubes,
- the smallest douche with a soft tip,
- saline solution.
Wadded tubules-turunda to make simple. It is enough to twist the pieces of cotton or the halves of the cotton sponge into a tube. The tip of the syringe or nozzle aspirator should be wiped with alcohol. In the pharmacy networks, there are many aspirators that the infant will need. It is enough to choose the most suitable option - the choice and use of an aspirator.
How to wash the nose to the child
Manipulation associated with cleansing the nose, should not cause discomfort. To make it as effective as possible, you need to learn how to properly wash the nose of a baby. First, it is laid on the flank.
In a pipette or a small syringe without a needle, pick up the saline solution and squeeze it in the palm of your hand so that the liquid can reach body temperature. So the child will not feel discomfort from cold drops. Otherwise, he may refuse the next wash.
Three or four droplets drip into one nostril and wait three minutes. After the cotton tube, rotating, injected into the nasal cavity. If, after wiping, the mucus remains, it is sucked out with an aspirator. After treating both nostrils, it is advisable to drip sterile oil (any vegetable oil that has been sterilized will do). It will moisturize the mucous membrane, relieve irritation, soften the crusts - clear the baby's nose from the crusts.
If the child has coughed up during rinsing, he is immediately raised with a pillar and his head slightly tilted for independent flow of fluid. The most safe means of cleansing the nose in children are cotton tubes, turunda. They are not solid, so do not damage the inner shell. Using an aspirator or a syringe can accidentally injure your baby’s nose.
After finishing the washing procedure, all accessories are washed, and the removable parts of the aspirator are rubbed with alcohol.
To wash the nose of a child from three years old, you will need a pipette and a napkin. At this age, children can already blow their nose, so the procedure will be simplified. The head of the child should be tilted to one side and 3-4 drops of saline should be dropped into the nostril. After which the baby must blow his nose, holding the raw nostril. The same is done on the other nostril.
Which is better - buy a saline or cook
If the family does not have enough money for saline to flush the nose, then it can be made at home. For the preparation of the washing agent, you will need chilled boiled water and salt (common cooking). On a liter of water is enough a small spoonful of salt without a slide. If a drop of iodine is added to the ready solution, it will acquire antibacterial properties. Store the prepared medicine can be no longer than a day.
It is possible to use this product for children upon reaching three years, as it is not sterile. Infants better to buy saline in the pharmacy.
Rinse the nose at home after a specialist visit. He will give detailed instructions and tell you how often you can flush the nasal passages. The number of procedures depends on the degree of nasal congestion in children and on the frequency of mucus production.
It is necessary to resort to washing if breathing is very difficult, which significantly impairs the quality of life of the child. It should not be manipulated more often 4 times a day. If a runny nose does not go away within 7 days, it is necessary to seek medical help in order not to start the disease and not worsen the situation of the patient.
Too frequent washing leads to:
- reduction of local immunity,
- mucosal irritation,
- psychoemotional discomfort of children
- increased swelling of the nose.
As a preventive measure, the procedure can be performed no more than twice a week.
What to replace with saline
In addition to saline, children can bury means based on seawater. These include popular and effective drugs, for example:
- Aqualore baby - drops containing isotonic seawater and not including preservatives. This tool copes with ARVI, acute rhinitis, sinusitis. It also quickly relieves nasal congestion in infants. Contraindications to use has not.
- Aqua Maris Baby - has mineral substances that stimulate local immunity. It activates the production of protective mucus, improves cellular energy metabolism and increases the activity of protective cells.
- Physiomer - nasal drops and spray, contributing to the support of the normal state of the mucous membrane of the nasal sinuses, normalizing the production of mucosal cells. It is used for adenoiditis, allergic rhinitis, chronic pathologies of the nasal cavity, for the prevention of diseases of viral and infectious origin.
- Quicks spray nasal, consisting of natural ingredients and having a hypertonic effect. It is indicated for rhinitis of various genesis, pollinosis, rhinosinusitis, and sore throat. Used for prevention during the epidemic. Does not contain dyes and preservatives.
Apply saline is permitted by modern pediatricians. The main thing to act calmly, carefully and confidently. Until six months, this tool is allowed to drip into the nose. Sprays based on saline and sea water are used later, since even minimal irrigation can cause inflammation in the ears and nose, which can lead to serious complications.
Appointment and preparation of spout
Sodium Chloride - saline to moisturize and cleanse the nasal mucosa
The instillation of saline in infants is carried out according to the following indications:
- Acute rhinitis with thick mucopurulent or purulent secretions.
- During the epidemic of influenza and ARVI after walks in crowded places.
- Moisturizing the mucous during the heating season.
There are no contraindications for the use of a universal remedy. But, if a child has snot do not last longer than 2-3 days, it is necessary to consult a doctor. Do not rinse the nose of an infant with a syringe. Strong pressure and an increase in pressure in the nasal cavity will lead to the ingress of bacteria into the auditory tube and into the middle ear - acute otitis media will develop.
For the procedure will require:
- thin cotton buds
- wet wipes
Flagellum is made from sterile cotton wool or cotton pad. Tearing a piece of cotton wool about 10 cm long and 1-1.5 cm wide, gently rolling along the length, combining the ends and twisting. It is even easier to make a flagellum from a cotton disk - it is enough to divide it into two halves and roll it into a cone.
An aspirator is needed to remove mucus from the nose.
There is a huge number of different scoopers, the simplest and most effective is a regular syringe. A small rubber pear does not injure the mucous, is easy to use and is inexpensive. For children, special syringes are made in the form of a bright toy (elephant, dragon, horse). Bright color is designed to distract the baby from the unpleasant procedure. The silicone tube with a balloon is even more convenient - the parent takes one end into the mouth, the second inserts the baby into the nose and sucks the snot.
The advantage of the method is indisputable - you can adjust the suction force, monitor the amount of discharge. The electric aspirator is ideal - does not require effort, allows you to remove mucus in a minute, some models are able to play music, entertaining the baby. A scavenger is a battery operated device. It consists of a bright plastic body and a nasal tube. The minus of the device is the noise that can frighten the baby and cause a negative attitude to the procedure.
Spout washing procedure
We carry out the procedure of washing the spout correctly!
We proceed to the procedure: we place the child on the back or side. We pick up saline in the pipette and hold it in your palm for a minute, warming the liquid. Such precaution is necessary - the baby does not feel warm drops in the nose and there will be no negative reaction to the procedure in the future.
We dig in 3-4 drops in one nasal course. We wait for 3-5 minutes, then with a light rotational movement we introduce a cotton flagellum. If after treatment with flagella slime remained - we will use a rubber pear. Fix the baby's head with his left hand. Squeezing a pear in his right hand and firing air, carefully insert the tip into the nose to a depth of no more than 0.5 cm and suck snot. We perform the procedure again for the opposite half of the nose.
If the child coughs, lift it vertically and tilt the head forward - the solution will flow out of the nose on its own.
It should be remembered that the safest method of cleaning the nasal cavity are cotton wool shoes. They are soft, do not irritate the mucous membrane and effectively remove the discharge. When using an aspirator there is a risk of damage to the small capillaries, retraction of the eardrum and the development of inflammation of the auditory tube. In addition to instillation, flagella moistened in saline can be used.
After washing the nose and mucus, you can drip 1-2 drops of olive or peach oil into the baby’s nose. They moisturize the mucous membrane, preventing drying and irritation, soften the crust. It is especially important to bury oil during the heating season, since warm, dry air contributes to the appearance of a runny nose and cough in infants. At the end, wipe the skin around the nose with a tissue, preventing redness and dryness. Having finished the toilet of the nose, it is necessary to treat the nozzles: wash all removable parts with laundry soap, wipe with an alcohol wipe, disinfecting solution.
How to replace a wonderful tool?
Nasal washing - prevention and treatment of rhinitis!
In addition to saline, saline solutions based on seawater can be dripped into the baby’s nose. Consider the most famous analogues:
Aqualore Baby - contains sterilized and purified water of the Atlantic Ocean. Indications for use:
- inflammatory diseases of the nose and throat
- allergic rhinitis
- prevention of dryness and irritation
Aqua Maris baby - water intake is carried out in the Adriatic Sea. The drug contains a greater number of trace elements (sodium, calcium, chlorine and magnesium). It contributes to the improvement of local immunity of the mucous membranes, normalizes the functioning of the nasal cells, dilutes mucus and facilitates the rapid cleaning of the nose. Indications:
- washing the nose before instillation of medicines
- prevention of viral infections
- inflammation of the upper respiratory tract
- daily toilet nursing infants
Physiomer is a preparation based on sea water. The instructions for the product indicate the options for hygienic treatment of the nasal cavity: clean the nose with flagella soaked in solution, or drip a few drops and remove the discharge. Indications for the drug:
- daily hygiene of the nose
- acute rhinitis - inflammation of the nasal mucosa
- dry mucous and atrophic rhinitis
- allergic reactions with copious discharge and nasal congestion
Useful video - How and how to treat a runny nose in infants:
Sometimes mothers try to make saline at home. There are many references to breeding methods and tips on the Internet. But to engage in amateur is not desirable: improper dilution, poor quality water and salt contribute to the irritation of the baby’s nose. It leads to increased inflammatory changes on the part of the mucous membrane, dries out, causes cell damage.
The main rule of nasal washing is up to six months, saline and its analogues only drip into the nose. The reason is simple: in small children, even a small spray causes damage to the mucous membrane and causes inflammation of the nasal cavity and ears. Saline is an excellent means for hygiene of the nasal cavity in infants. Indications for the appointment and use of funds a lot, in unwanted side effects are absent. Saline is a godsend for a family with a small child who does not hit the family budget.
Where to get saline?
Saline is often sold in pharmacies. It can be found in fairly large containers and sealed ampoules - the latter option is used for injections. Saline ampoules are a bit more expensive, but they are almost ideal for washing babies' nose: the liquid in them is sterile, guaranteed to have precise concentration and a small volume that can be fully used in one rinse procedure.
Now we’ll tell you how to wash your nose with infants with homemade saline. The process of production of this solution in the home is based on the exact following chemical composition. Take 1 liter of water and 9 grams of regular table salt - about one teaspoon without a hill. Next, you need to thoroughly stir the salt until it is completely dissolved. So you get a 0.9% solution of sodium chloride in water, which is called saline.
The shelf life of this liquid is 1 day - the next day you will need to prepare a new batch.
The total volume of the resulting liquid will be 1 liter - for rinsing the nose of this, of course, too much, especially if you need to wash the nasal passages of the infant. Reduce the number of components in the preparation of the solution should be proportional: 0.5 l of water to 4 g of salt, etc.
What water to take?
Ideally, distilled water should be used, which can be found in our pharmacies. In some cases, it is already sold in an airtight, fully sterile container and can be used as a solvent when performing injections. But to flush the nose, such a high level of sterility will be excessive even in infants.
You can also make a saline solution and purchased water sold in supermarkets. Usually its purity is sufficient for this procedure. Of course, it is necessary to choose water that does not contain carbon dioxide and with a minimum of additional components in the form of various mineral additives.
But ordinary tap water is also quite suitable as the basis for the preparation of physiological saline for washing the nose of a young child. Of course, it should be boiled thoroughly beforehand, but the same should be done with any water other than that which is already sealed in a sterile container.
What salt to use?
Saline solution for washing the nose of a child in the first years of life can be prepared from virtually any salt. Желательно взять соль мелкого помола – она обычно чище, в ней содержится меньше случайных включений по типу песчаных частиц или каменных крошек. Кроме того, она быстрее и полноценнее растворяется в воде.
Important! После приготовления раствора следует тщательно процедить его через марлю.This allows you to remove from it all solid and undissolved particles that in the process of rinsing can injure the mucous membrane of the nasal cavities of the child.
Please note that you can use only regular salt for washing the nose in children. Salt with the addition of iodide or potassium iodide (iodized) cannot be used, because it can cause irritation of the nasal mucosa of the child and inflammation in the nasal passages.
Now let's talk about how to wash the nose with saline to a child under one year old. To carry out this procedure, you will need:
- tank with saline solution
- perhaps a douche or syringe,
- dry clean gauze,
- dry cotton wool.
The pipette should also be as clean as possible. It is not necessary to change it every time, but after the procedure it is better to boil it and wrap it in a clean cloth.
Important! Flushing can only be done if the child is calm. If he cries and screams, the rinsing of the nose is postponed, as in this situation there is a high risk of accidentally damaging the inner surface of the nose.
The whole manipulation can be divided into several stages:
- Position the child horizontally, lying on his back.
- With one hand, hold his head under the back of the head, and with the other hand, take a pipette with saline solution.
- Drip the baby in each nostril with 3-5 drops of saline. Clamping one or both sides of the nose is not necessary.
- Turn him over on his stomach and position him so that his head is below the rest of the body. Do not make a long pause after the instillation of the liquid.
- Allow saline to flow freely under gravity.
- Turn the child back and dry with a clean gauze to gently wipe off all the liquid that has remained on his face.
- If necessary, repeat the instillation using the same procedure again.
- To remove all liquefied mucus, use a flagellum, pre-twisted from dry cotton wool.
- Carefully insert it into the child's nostril and make several rotational movements with it - this will collect the remaining mucus on the flagellum.
- Repeat the procedure for the second nostril.
You can also use a pear syringe or syringe to extract mucus. At the same time, the syringe should be taken disposable, and the syringe should be disinfected by boiling before and after the procedure. Carefully insert the tip of the rubber bulb or syringe (without a needle!) Into the baby’s nostril. Pear should first be squeezed, and when it falls into the nasal cavity, slowly release. This will create negative pressure, and the liquefied mucus will be aspirated (pulled) into the pear. When using a syringe, the same action is exerted by pulling the piston towards you.
Some features and limitations
Despite the fact that the saline solution almost never causes irritation of biological tissues, it is not recommended to abuse this procedure. Infants may be flushed with saline no more than 2-3 times a day. The duration of such treatment should be no more than 1 week. Then you need to take at least a week break. This is due to the fact that intensive and / or long rinsing of the nasal cavities gradually erodes the microflora, which normally should be there. And periodic breaks allow it to recover to the desired level.
Is it possible to wash the nose with baby saline with the addition of other components? Yes you can. But the choice of such additives must be approached very carefully. The simplest option would be ordinary baking soda. On a glass of saline need to add just one pinch of it. This will slightly violate its physical characteristics, but will provide an easy disinfecting effect to help fight colds.
Very carefully to treat additives with a pronounced odor. For example, saline for rinsing the nasal passages can not be combined with essential oils - they are too aggressively affect the mucous membrane during direct contact. But aromatic oils without essential components can be used, but it is necessary to know for sure that the child does not have an allergic reaction to this particular oil.
It will also be useful to add a little tincture of medicinal herbs to the saline, for example, pharmacy chamomile. This will give the fluid not only a thinning, but also a healing effect, since chamomile has an anti-inflammatory and soothing irritation effect. And besides - this is a hypoallergenic product that can be used even in very young children.
What is saline?
Saline is the analogue of numerous preparations for the cleaning of the nasal sinuses in babies, but only in a more affordable version. This is the same salt water solution. Sometimes its use even allows you to not use vasoconstrictor drugs. It is enough to clean the spout with saline 3 times a day, and the baby breathes freely!
Saline is a 0.9% solution of sodium chloride. Do not try to make it yourself at home. You will not be able to maintain the correct proportion and sterility.
Independent use of saline is not desirable without the advice of a doctor. Consult your pediatrician and only then go to the pharmacy.
How to wash the nose of the baby-baby
Babies of infancy do not know how to breathe through their mouths, so when the nose is stuffed up, they not only begin to choke, but also cannot eat normally: suck on their breasts or bottle. But very young children hunger causes physical discomfort and even pain. Therefore, it is so important to help your child start breathing more freely.
So, to clear your nose with saline, you will need a regular small rubber bulb, a syringe without a needle, saline and cotton swabs.
But do not forget to consult with your pediatrician! Because only he will be able to say for sure whether the baby needs washing or it is enough to just remove the crusts and drip the nose with saline in order not to torture the baby.
Lay the baby on the flank and make sure that the crumb is calm enough. Then, gently, without damaging the inner walls of the nozzle, remove the crusts with cotton buds and suck the snot with a pear. Then in a syringe, dial saline, no more than 5 ml and enter it into one nostril. Then turn the baby on the other side and enter the solution into the other nostril.
Make sure that the baby does not choke, and the procedure did not give him too much discomfort. If the baby begins to cough, immediately turn him over on his stomach and lightly pat him on the back.
After the injection of saline with a syringe, again suck the softened contents with a pear. After the nose is completely clear, you can moisten it from the inside with some drops or oil.
The main thing to follow in the process of washing the nose with saline is calm and confidence in their actions. Do not panic, if you suddenly did something wrong, calm the baby and try again. This is your child, you are responsible for it, and no one will help him better than you.