Lemongrass: types, properties, action, indications and contraindications
It is a large climbing vine of the Magnoliaceae family. Its length reaches fifteen meters, and twining around the trees, lemongrass resembles a vine. The thickness of the stem is 2 centimeters. The plant takes the form of a shrub in the northern regions. Lemongrass leaves are light green, petiolate and slightly fleshy, mostly arranged in bunches, their petioles can be either reddish or pink. The flowers are creamy or white with a pleasant smell, and the stamens of 3-5 pieces are combined into a thick column.
Lemongrass berries 2-seed, bright red, juicy, spherical, very sour. The seeds smell like lemon and have a bitter, burning taste. The bark of the roots and stems also smells of lemon, hence the name - lemongrass.
The liana grows wild in the south of Sakhalin, in Primorye, it can also be found in broad-leaved forests, in river valleys, along forest edges, in clearings. Abundant harvests of lemongrass occur every few years, and due to careless branch breaks during harvest, the growth of the shrub stops.
How to choose
Usually fruits and seeds of lemongrass harvested. As ripening produce fruits. And the drying process consists of two parts: first, the berries of lemongrass are slightly dried in the air for two or three days, and then dried in a special dryer or an ordinary oven. Initially, the temperature is set at around forty degrees, and by the end of drying it is raised to sixty.
How to store
Fresh berries of lemongrass, unfortunately, are hard to find and buy. But summer residents, on their plots grow this vine. The fruits collected by a thin layer in boxes are immediately dried. Then put in small bags.
You can with fresh berries without damaging the seeds, squeeze out the juice and preserve it with sugar. After standing for a while, the juice acquires a jelly consistency.
Another good way to store fruits is to fill them with sugar, grind well and put in a jar. Keep the need in the refrigerator.
Lemongrass fruits contain almost 20% organic acids, most of which are malic, citric and tartaric. Some sugar and about 500 mg of vitamin C per 100 grams of berries. Also included are pectins, tannins, saponins, flavonoids, anthraquinones. Lemongrass is rich in essential oils, because in its stem and seeds are more than two percent, and in the bark of stems above three. Essential oil has found its use in perfumery.
Up to 33% fatty oil enters the seeds. The oil consists of glycerides of unsaturated fatty acids - oleic and linoleic. Vitamin E was found in it. Due to its composition, lemongrass has immunostimulating, adaptogenic, stimulating and tonic properties.
The composition and availability of nutrients
Lemongrass leaves contain a large amount of micro- and macro-elements: calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, copper, manganese, cobalt, iodine, zinc, and aluminum. They are also present in the fruit, but only in much larger quantities.
The value and beneficial properties of lemongrass fruits are vitamins E and C, mineral salts, organic acids, sugars and other components mentioned above.
But the most important and useful components in Schizandra are schizandrol and schizandrin - biologically active substances that are included in the essential oil. They tone up and improve liver function. These substances stimulate the cardiovascular and nervous systems. The daily dose of these substances is contained in 50 grams of fresh pulp of lemongrass fruit.
As early as the 5th century, the refreshing and tonic effect of the fruits of schisandra was known. Local hunters in the Far East, took with them to hunt dried berries of lemongrass, they helped them to be stronger.
Today, lemongrass has found its wide application as an adaptogenic and stimulant for mental and physical fatigue. It is also very effective in depressive and asthenic syndromes.
Infusion of lemongrass berries is used as a prophylaxis for acute respiratory infections and flu. The content of glycogen, under the influence of lemongrass in the liver decreases, and in muscles it increases, and the amount of lactic acid changes the other way around.
In China, the seeds and fruits of lemongrass are used for weakened heart muscle, heart neurosis, nephritis, hypertension. A decoction of berries also lowers the level of sugar, chlorides and reserve alkali in the blood, as well as stimulates tissue respiration.
Fruits and seeds are prescribed for various diseases: anemia, sexual weakness, pulmonary tuberculosis, diseases of the kidneys, liver, stomach, respiratory organs.
It is very simple to make an infusion: take 1 tablespoon of dried or fresh berries and pour 250 ml of boiling water, leave for at least two hours. Take four times a day, two tablespoons.
Tincture on alcohol can be prepared as follows: 10 grams of crushed seeds, 20 grams of fruit, pour 100 ml of alcohol 70%, insist 10 days, then strain. Take on an empty stomach for 25-30 drops.
Use in cooking
In cooking, lemongrass is used to prepare delicious fruit drinks, syrups. Such drinks elevate mood and relieve fatigue. Jams, jam, jam and compotes are very tasty with lemongrass. Confectioneries add it to some varieties of marmalade, chocolate and sweets. And at the Primorsky Combine they produce refined sugar, which contains lemongrass extract.
Dangerous properties of lemongrass
Preparations containing lemongrass have practically no contraindications. But even in spite of this, it should be used only after consulting a doctor and not abused.
Lemongrass is contraindicated in people with increased nervous excitement, insomnia, high blood pressure, increased gastric secretion.
If you do not want to suffer from insomnia all night, take drugs with lemongrass no later than 18-19 hours.
In pregnancy, the use of lemongrass is also discussed with a doctor.
In the video, Evgeny Fedotov and Roman Wroblewski will tell you about the beneficial qualities of lemongrass and show how this plant looks.
Lemongrass is a woody vine, the leaves and stems of which have a pleasant lemon scent. This plant grows mainly on the territory of Southeast Asia and in the Far Eastern coniferous-deciduous forests.
Lemongrass is often called the "fruit of five tastes." So, the skin has a sour taste, the flesh is sweet, the seeds are bitter-astringent, and the berries are salty. Having bitten lemongrass berry, acid is felt first, then - tarry aroma and bitterness, then - sweet taste, which turns into salty and fresh.
By its tonic properties lemongrass is inferior only to ginseng.
In total there are from 14 to 25 types of lemongrass. Scientists still can not come to a common opinion regarding the number of varieties of this plant. But for medicinal purposes, only two are used - Chinese (or Far Eastern) Schizandra and Crimean (Crimean iron), the first species being used in the overwhelming majority of cases, and the second is not a woody liana. Let's take a closer look at these two types of plants.
Crimean lemongrass (Crimean ironworks)
Crimean lemongrass is an endemic of the Crimea, that is, a plant that grows exclusively on the territory of Crimea (hence its name), and on a rather small territory of it. Crimean zheleznitsa grows on well-warmed sunny rocky steppe slopes, as well as on limestone outcrops and pastures.
The oblong leaves of the plant reach 2.8 cm in length, and have a pleasant lemon scent, thereby being used as a tea substitute. Blossoms ferric in the summer.
For medicinal purposes, the stems, leaves, flowers, and inflorescences of the Crimean schisandra are used, which contain the following chemicals:
- vitamin C,
- essential oils,
- fatty oil
- various organic acids.
- wound healing.
The effect of Crimean magnolia vine:
- strengthening immunity
- increase potency
- stimulation of the central nervous system,
- normalization of blood pressure.
Preparations of iron products are shown in the following pathologies:
- increased sleepiness
- skin diseases
- diseases of the upper respiratory tract,
- some diseases of the digestive tract and liver.
The following infusion will help to cope with nausea and vomiting: 3 tbsp. Zheleznitsa herbs pour boiling water and leave to infuse for one hour. Infusion is drunk half a cup three times a day.
Lemongrass Chinese (Far East)
Chinese lemongrass (hereinafter referred to as lemongrass) is a perennial woody liana, the stem of which can reach 15 m in length and up to 2.5 m in diameter. The stem of the young plant has a yellowish tinge, while the old bark is dark brown. The stem of the plant is wrinkled, and the rhizome is cord-like (it has numerous adventitious roots).
Where does Chinese lemongrass grow?
Lemongrass grows on the territory of the Far East, on the river coasts of the Primorsky Territory, as well as on the Khabarovsk Territory, on Sakhalin Island and in the Amur Region (its south-western part).
Like Arabian coffee, ginseng, Eleutherococcus and Rhodiola Rosea, lemongrass has a stimulating effect on the nervous system.
Growing and picking lemongrass
Today, lemongrass grows not only in natural conditions, but is also cultivated on special plantations (all due to its healing properties). This plant is grown on well-drained and enriched in organic matter, acidic and slightly acidic soils.
Primarily medicinal raw materials are fruits, seeds, leaves, as well as bark of lemongrass.
Bark going in the spring, while the stems - only during the fruiting period.
Leaves It is recommended to collect in the period of blooming (in August), which will ensure the presence of flavonoids in them. Thus, the collected leaves are crushed and laid out in a thin layer under a canopy. Be sure to periodically mix the leaves for uniform drying.
Berries ripen in August - September months, but they need to be collected during the period of the so-called full ripening, which lasts from magnolia from September, and until the onset of autumn frosts. The ripe fruits of lemongrass differ bitter-sour taste and juicy flesh. On average, one bush can collect up to three or four kilograms of berries.
Brushes with berries are cut very carefully and carefully, with a sharp knife (it is important not to damage the stem of the vine itself, without which the plant will stop fruiting). Fruits can not be collected in metal dishes, because in the process of oxidation in the juice are formed quite harmful compounds. Fruit processing must be done within the first days after harvest.
Harvest of berries
Fruits for two - three days are dried under a canopy, after which the berries are moved (receptacle, branches and other impurities are separated). Then the berries are dried by means of an oven, the temperature of which should be 60 degrees. Fruits processed in this way retain their medicinal properties for two years.
Properly dried fruits are hard, irregular in shape, have a spicy, but bitter-sour taste.
Seeds Lemongrass is obtained after pressing the juice from the fruit. Berries are squeezed using a hydraulic press. A mixture of crushed berries is slightly moistened and stirred, after which it is covered with gauze and placed in a warm place for fermentation, after which the fruit is thoroughly rinsed through a sieve under running water. Next, the seeds are separated and dried using air-cooled ventilation dryers, first at a temperature of not more than 40 degrees, and then dried at a temperature of 60 to 70 degrees.
Both berries and seeds are stored in fabric bags or paper bags in a dry place.
Composition and medicinal properties of Schizandra
Lignans are compounds that combine the properties of antioxidants and fiber, preventing the development of cancer.
Lignans have a phytoestrogenic effect, affecting the body as follows:
- lower cholesterol, thereby preventing the formation of sclerotic plaques,
- accelerate the metabolism
- improve oxygen metabolism
- normalize the functioning of the nervous system,
- normalize hormones.
They have antioxidant, choleretic, sedative and anti-inflammatory properties.
- reduction of blood capillary fragility,
- normalization of the central nervous system,
- normalization of blood pressure
- heart rate regulation
- stimulation of the adrenal cortex.
Possess bactericidal, laxative, bacteriostatic and immunostimulating action.
- disinfecting wounds
- elimination of pathogenic microbes and bacteria,
- increase immunity.
Properties of lemongrass
- wound healing
- pain killer
Action of lemongrass
- Stimulating the work of the central nervous system by strengthening it, not depleting it (the latter is typical of chemical preparations).
- Stimulating the functioning of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems of a person.
- Increased resistance to oxygen starvation.
- Strengthening and activating the immune system.
- Enhance mental and physical potential.
- Improved appetite.
- Improved vision.
- Increased blood pressure (when combined with certain medicinal plants, pressure is normalized).
- Reducing the heart rate while increasing their amplitude.
- Normalization of metabolism.
- Improved sexual function.
- Stress relief (in particular, promoting the body's resistance to various stressful situations).
- Adaptation of the body to difficult climatic conditions.
- Promoting the accumulation of so-called biologically active energy.
- Rejuvenation of the body.
- Elimination of symptoms of hangover.
- Normalization of sleep.
- Decreased blood sugar.
- Elimination of inflammatory processes.
- Stimulation of the stomach.
- Stimulation of labor.
- Normalization of carbohydrate metabolism.
The benefits and harm of lemongrass
1. It improves the gastrointestinal tract (in particular, motor and secretory functions, which is extremely important for sluggish digestion).
2. Reduces the secretion of gastric glands, making it commonly used in the treatment of gastritis, as well as gastric ulcers.
3. Tones up the smooth muscles of the uterus, which helps to fight female infertility and many gynecological diseases.
4. Tones up skeletal muscles (Schizandra preparations are used in the treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system).
5. Increase sexual activity.
6. Strengthen potency.
7. They increase the regenerative properties of cells, namely, they tone up the cells of the epidermis, which is used during the treatment of trophic ulcers and difficult healing wounds.
It is also important that the discontinuation of the preparations of lemongrass is not accompanied by weakness and loss of strength (unlike, for example, from caffeine and all its derivatives).
With proper use of the doses indicated by the doctor, Schizandra preparations are absolutely harmless. In addition, they are not formed drug dependence.
Lemongrass preparations enhance the excitation process directly in the cerebral cortex, thereby increasing the reflex activity of the central nervous system, which not only stimulates the respiration, but also stimulates the cardiovascular system. This property of the plant helps to focus attention, develop memory and coordinate movements accurately. Also proven positive effect of lemongrass on the senses: for example, the preparations of this plant enhance visual acuity and accelerate the addiction of the eye to the dark.
Lemongrass is used as a tonic and stimulant for the treatment of asthenic and astheno-depressive conditions, psychasthenia, and depressions, which are manifested by the following symptoms:
- fast fatiguability,
- reduced performance
For medicinal purposes, these parts are used:
- the stalks
Plant seeds are used in the treatment of gastritis, and to normalize the acidity of gastric juice. Seeds are applied in the form of a powder of no more than 2 g, which are divided into 4 doses (the powder is taken 25 minutes before a meal). Also from the seeds make decoctions and tinctures.
Fruits have a positive effect on conditioned reflex activity, increasing efficiency, improving concentration and endurance.
The leaves of the plant are enriched with essential oils, so they are used in the form of infusions and decoctions in the treatment of scurvy, as well as dysentery in children.
Настой из коры лимонника – отличное витаминное, а также противоцинготное средство.
Корни и корневища лимонника богаты не только эфирными маслами, а и витаминами, поэтому показаны в качестве общеукрепляющего и тонизирующего средства.
The stems of the plant are used as a stimulant and tonic, as they contain many biologically active substances.
Preparations from the branches of lemongrass reduce blood pressure, eliminate drowsiness and increase the intensity of respiration.
How to brew lemongrass?
For brewing tea, dried lemongrass leaves, bark or young shoots are used. 15 g of raw materials should be poured with one liter of boiling water, and then, without stirring, insist means 5 minutes.
In addition, lemongrass leaves are added to regular tea, which is not recommended to brew in a thermos (this will help maintain a pleasant lemon flavor). Regular intake of such tea will strengthen the immune system, increasing the body's resistance to colds.
How to use?
Lemongrass preparations are taken on an empty stomach, or four hours after a meal.
Important! The first effect of lemongrass on the body will manifest itself after 40 minutes, and will continue for 4 to 6 hours. But it should be noted that schisandra preparations act on the body not instantaneously: for example, the effect increases gradually (this can take from two to ten weeks), but the positive dynamics will certainly be felt.
Syrup is used in the treatment of hypotension, drowsiness, impotence, as well as in chronic infectious diseases and intoxications.
Pharmacy syrup is added to taste in any drinks, although it can be taken as a separate product, a tablespoon three times a day, during the meal. The course is one month.
You can cook the syrup at home. To do this, juice is squeezed out of well-washed berries of lemongrass through 2 layers of gauze, and poured into an enameled pan, to which sugar is added (1.5 l of sugar per 1 liter of lemongrass juice). The resulting mass is heated until the sugar is completely dissolved, and then poured into boiled bottles. Stored syrup in a dark and cool place.
It is shown to eliminate menopausal syndrome, to increase potency, relieve nervous tension and irritability. In addition, lemongrass juice is rubbed into the head with baldness.
To prepare the juice, freshly harvested berries of lemongrass are washed and pressed, after which the juice is poured into glass jars and pasteurized for 15 minutes. Hermetically sealed cans are stored in a dark place. Juice is added to tea (1 tsp in a glass of tea) to increase vitality and efficiency.
Schisandra seed oil
Lemongrass oil is considered to be an excellent adaptogenic, tonic and anti-inflammatory agent, which increases the tone, strengthens the potency and normalizes the processes of digestion. In addition, lemongrass seed oil speeds up the process of wound healing.
This form of the drug is shown to those whose professional activity is associated with hypothermia, overheating, oxygen starvation and ionizing radiation.
The medicinal oil of lemongrass is sold in the form of capsules, which should be taken 2 to 3 pieces per day, after a meal.
This is one of the most convenient forms of Schizandra preparations.
Tablets, the main component of which are fruits of lemongrass, have such an effect:
- prevention of heart disease,
- vessel strengthening,
- increase the body's defenses
- slowing the aging process.
Lemongrass tablets are shown as a fortifying and soft tonic, as well as an additional source of flavonoids.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice - three times a day, for a month.
Contraindications and side effects
The use of preparations of lemongrass is contraindicated in the following pathologies:
- arterial hypertension,
- violation of cardiac activity
- excessive irritability,
- sleep disturbances
- infectious diseases that are acute,
- increased intracranial pressure
- plant allergy
- pregnancy (the decision on the admission of lemongrass is made solely by the doctor, and only for vital reasons, both for the woman’s health and for the condition of the fetus),
- vegetative vascular dystonia.
In addition, it is not recommended to take lemongrass to children under 12 years old.
It must be remembered that lemongrass is the strongest stimulant, therefore, it can be used only on prescription and in compliance with the indicated dosage. Otherwise such side effects may occur:
- increased gastric secretion,
- insomnia (to avoid insomnia, it is not recommended to take Schizandra preparations after six o'clock in the evening),
- increase blood pressure.
When the listed side effects appear, it is necessary to stop taking the plant preparations.
Important! The use of lemongrass is carried out after medical examination, and under the supervision of a physician!
Recipes with Chinese lemongrass (Far East)
Tincture of berries
It has adaptogenic, tonic, tonic and choleretic action.
One part of the carefully crushed fruits of lemongrass is poured with five parts of 95 percent alcohol (in other words, the tincture is prepared at the rate of 1: 5), after which the container with tincture closes well. Means infused 7 - 10 days in a dark place (required at room temperature). It must be periodically shaken. After the specified period, the tincture is filtered (the residue is squeezed and added to the resulting filtrate). The tool is infused for another 4 - 5 days, and again filtered. The resulting tool should be transparent. Tincture is taken in 30 - 40 drops, not more than three times a day, for 25 days.
To relieve fatigue and improve performance, you can prepare the following tincture: the fruits are filled with 70% alcohol in a 1: 3 ratio, and infused for three days. Accepted tincture of 25 - 30 drops. Such a tool will not only give vitality, but also enhance immunity.
Tincture with farsightedness
To prepare the tincture will need 5 tbsp. lemongrass fruit and half a liter of pure alcohol. Fruits need to be well crushed and add alcohol, and then put for 12 days in a dark place (just not in the refrigerator). Shake at least once a day. After 12 days, the tincture is filtered and the fruits are squeezed. The agent is taken in 20 drops, diluted with water, twice a day.
Recipes with lemongrass Crimean
Leaves and flowers of lemongrass Crimean can be used as a surrogate of tea, because the plant gives tea a great lemon flavor. In addition, this tea stimulates the function of the cerebral cortex, energizes, strengthens the immune system.
Infusion of nausea and vomiting
3 tbsp. dry plants are crushed and poured boiling water, leaving to infuse for an hour. An infusion of half a cup is taken twice a day.
Infusion from bronchitis and pneumonia
1 tsp The flowers of the plant are poured with a glass of boiling water and infused for half an hour. It takes half a glass, no more than four times a day.
This infusion can be used as poultices, which will accelerate the healing of wounds. In addition, such poultices have antitumor and antibacterial properties.
3 tbsp. dry plants are poured with two liters of water and boiled for five minutes. The cooled and filtered broth is poured into a cool bath (the temperature should be about 30 degrees). A fifteen minute stay in such a bath will not only invigorate, but also help relieve skin irritation.
Composition of lemongrass
This plant is valued for its content of schizandrins and schizandrols, which are natural essential oils. They are famous for their bactericidal, anti-inflammatory, regenerating and tonic properties.
However, it is interesting that the final list of incoming substances depends on what specific part of the liana shrub is considered. Fruits occupy a special place in the field of use, so let's consider what they contain.
As part of a lot of acids, among them citric, malic, tartar and others. There are tannins, flavonoids, pectin compounds, coloring pigments, natural sugars (represented by glucose and fructose) in magnolia-vine.
Also, the plant concentrates a decent amount of polyoxyphenols, these are methyl esters, they tone up the body and clean the tissues. Of the minerals, the place of honor is occupied by potassium, magnesium, silicon, calcium, zinc, phosphorus, iron, copper, and boron.
There are fatty acids that can replace the intake of fish oil. A lot of iodine, molybdenum, selenium is concentrated in the bark of the plant. The stems are dominated by esters, as well as minerals in the form of manganese, sodium, phosphorus. Calorie lemongrass low in portions 100 grams. only 11 Kcal.
Ways to use lemongrass
- Rarely used fresh berries, because they knit tongue and sour strongly. But on the lemongrass make all sorts of tinctures, medicinal decoctions, teas, fruit drinks, wine, juice, jam. Also use the fruit in dried form.
- Interestingly, in the process of heat treatment through the oven with a converter, lemongrass almost does not lose valuable substances. It also preserves the lion's share of minerals, acids, vitamins. First, drying is carried out at 40 degrees, then the temperature is raised to 60 and dried.
- Juice also tends to be stored for a long time. It is prepared using a special device - a juicer or the old-fashioned way through a sieve and gauze fabric. Refreshing drink before taking should be diluted with water to reduce the concentration of acids.
Rules for the collection and storage of lemongrass
- All parts of the liana plant are successfully used for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes. Seeds, bark, berries, leaves - all this is suitable for collection and storage.
- With regard to the collection of bark, the procedure is best carried out in the spring. Creepers are harvested when lemongrass begins to bear fruit. In order to preserve the medicinal properties of the leaves, they need to be collected when the flowers bloom.
- Some folk healers prefer to harvest the mucous mass obtained from the foliage. Then the procedure is postponed until the beginning of leaf fall. After collecting the shoots with leaves dried and laid out on canvas bags.
- Berries can be collected only in ripe form, because you can be sure that the chemical list of substances is fully formed. In immature specimens there will not be so much benefit.
- In the process of gathering, the fruits of the tassel are cut off with a knife and put in the basket. Further processing should be carried out during the day, lemongrass can not lie down for a long time.
The use of lemongrass in cosmetology
- Valuable enzymes that are present in the composition of the fruit, allow you to apply the extract of lemongrass for cosmetic purposes. Many manufacturers of body care products include active ingredients that are part of Schizandra. As a result, there is an improvement of metabolic processes in the tissues of the epidermis.
- The oil of the represented plant brightens the skin well and tightens the pores, solving problems with acne. The systematic use of lemongrass juice perfectly nourishes and moisturizes the epidermis. As a result, natural rejuvenation occurs, small wrinkles and creases disappear. The skin acquires natural elasticity.
- For daily care of the epidermis, it is enough to add 6 drops of herbal extract to baby cream. Thanks to this procedure, the skin is noticeably softened and toned. You can also resort to using anti-aging face mask.
- To do this, connect 50 gr. rustic sour cream and 15 gr. the pulp of lemongrass fruit. Spread a uniform composition in a dense layer over the face, neck and decollete. Wait a third of an hour, after which wash with some water at room temperature.
- To strengthen the hair and improve the structure, it is recommended to systematically use the extract from the leaves of the represented plant. Also on sale you can find skin care products around the eyes based on parsley and lemongrass. In addition, various formulations for anti-fat strands and preparations for fading skin are available.
The use of lemongrass in traditional medicine
- Official medicine also has not bypassed the plant. In pharmacies, you can purchase products based on the extraction of the product. Such medicines act as an adaptogen. The composition is used for the treatment and prevention of colds in children and adults.
- As for traditional medicine, an effective recipe will help to get rid of or prevent the development of gastritis. Grind dried fruit to powder. Take raw materials for 3 gr. twice a day. The tool helps to increase blood pressure.
- Deciduous decoctions will help to get rid of scurvy. Turn into mush 50 gr. fresh fruit and place in an enamel container. Pour in 300 ml. boiling water. Boil the ingredients for about a quarter of an hour on the steam bath. Take the composition of 30 ml. twice a day.
- Lemongrass is very popular in traditional medicine and has great benefits for the human body. Like any product, raw materials have their drawbacks in the form of contraindications. It is forbidden to take lemongrass with individual intolerance.
In the medical and cosmetological orientation, the plant is more often used in dried than fresh form. But in cooking, various concoctions, teas and infusions made from fresh lemongrass are made on the basis of fruits.
Varieties of lemongrass
In nature, lemongrass grows only in Southeast and East Asia (Korea, Japan and China). On the territory of our country, this plant is found in the south of Sakhalin, the Far East and the southern part of the Kuriles.
Of the 14 known species of lemongrass in the central regionRussia grows only 2 varieties of Chinese magnolia:
- Garden-1 - variety bred by the famous Ukrainian breeder I.M. Shaytan It is a two-meter creeper with bright red fruits. The weight of the fruit of this variety can reach 12.5 grams.
- Firstborn - variety of the Russian breeder E.I. Kolbasin. At the end of August large berries weighing up to 15 grams, sour berries with a strong lemon scent ripen in Pervenets.
Nutritional value, caloric content and composition of schizandra
Lemongrass - one of the lowest-calorie berries. 100 g of lemongrass contains only 11 kcal. At the same time they contain the minimum amount of carbohydrates, and there are no fats.
Nutritional value of 100 g of lemongrass:
- 1.9 g of carbohydrates.
- 1 g of proteins.
- 0 g fat.
The composition of lemongrass (100 g):
- 70 mg of vitamin C (ascorbic acid).
- 0.16 mg of vitamin PP (nicotinic acid).
- vitamin E (tocopherol).
- 19.2 mg of potassium.
- 0.06 mg of iron.
- 0.7 mg of calcium.
- 0.09 mcg of iodine.
- 33.3 mcg of selenium.
- 31 mcg barium.
- 1.7 mcg magnesium.
- 0,22 mcg manganese.
- 0.13 mcg zinc.
- 8.4% malic acid.
- 11.3% citric acid.
- 0.8% tartaric acid.
Lemongrass in the diet of pregnant and lactating women, children, diabetics and athletes
Pregnant women it is better to refuse lemongrass. Because of its tonic effect, it can cause nervous excitement and sleep disturbance. In addition, the berries can tone the muscles of the uterus and cause miscarriage. On the other hand, lemongrass in combination with other plants can reduce toxicosis.
Lemongrass is not recommended and for nursing mothers . It can cause a woman increased nervous excitability and heart palpitations, which will be transmitted to the baby.
For children Lemongrass is prescribed to increase appetite and immunity. Berries will recuperate after illness and provide the body with beneficial substances for vitamin deficiency. In addition, lemongrass is a very effective remedy for dysentery.
Traditional medicine uses not only fruits, but also other parts of Schisandra to combat diabetes . Patients can make their own drugs or purchase them in a pharmacy. It should be remembered that lemongrass can be taken only after a meal, otherwise it will not lower, but raise the level of sugar in the blood.
Lemongrass is recommended for sports nutrition . Berries increase efficiency, reduce fatigue, and also improve the condition of the vessels and the heart.
How to collect, use and store lemongrass?
- Lemongrass is collected in September, always in dry sunny weather.
- Berries ripen gradually, so you need to collect them in several stages.
- Lemongrass is not subject to storage in fresh form, so after collecting it immediately processed. One of the popular ways to preserve magnolia vine for a long time is to dry the berries. Within 2-3 days they are kept in the air, scattered in a thin layer. Then the fruits are dried in an oven or a special dryer.
- For long-term storage, lemongrass is also twisted through a meat grinder, mixed with sugar. The mixture is placed in a glass container and stored in a cold place.
- Due to the specific taste of lemongrass consumed only as a drink or as part of desserts. Lemongrass dishes go well with flour products, milk, cottage cheese and cheese.
What dishes can be cooked with lemongrass?
- Tea with lemongrass.
- Lemongrass jam.
- Lemongrass compote.
- Morse with lemongrass.
- Wine with lemongrass.
- Jam with lemongrass.
- Marmalade with lemongrass.
- Lemongrass syrup.
- Kissel from lemongrass.
Lemongrass in the diet
By itself, lemongrass is not a part of diets, as it is not consumed separately from other products and does not play a special role for weight loss. However, tea with lemongrass can bring losing weight undoubtedly. The fact is that lemongrass is an excellent antidepressant, and people who have been on a strict diet for a long time are prone to nervous breakdowns and mood swings.
Китайский лимонник – лечебные свойства
Охотники Приморья и Приамурья отправлялись в тайгу налегке. They found a wild-growing liana, ate a handful of bright tart berries and could chase game all day without feeling hungry and tired. During the Second World War, Soviet pilots rations included lemongrass berries - they helped in the night battle, sharpening their eyesight and giving vigor.
Russian scientists recognized and studied the medicinal value of Chinese magnolia vine as early as the beginning of the 20th century. The first description of the properties of lemongrass was given by academician Komarov at the beginning of the XIX century. The Soviet biochemist and plant physiologist, Professor L. I. Vigorov, grew lemongrass in the Garden of Medicinal Crops, where plants were collected that effectively prevented and cured various diseases. It turns out that cultivated lemongrass, in contrast to ginseng, has no differences, in comparison with the wild, in its composition and strength of healing properties.
The healing properties of lemongrass are due to the unique composition of bioactive substances.
The plant contains:
- organic acids
- essential and fatty oils,
- lignans – schizandrin, schizandrol,
- minerals and vitamins.
In the USSR, since the 60s of the last century, the properties of lemongrass were tested on athletes, during competitions, with severe physical and mental stress, with various pathologies.
It has been reliably established that the preparations of Schizandra Chinese:
- stimulate the function of the central nervous system,
- relieve fatigue
- helps to improve visual acuity, especially at night,
- stimulate the cardiovascular and respiratory system
- treat the gastrointestinal tract and kidneys,
- normalize blood pressure
- lower blood glucose and glycogen levels in the liver,
- dilate blood vessels
- stimulate uterine muscle contraction,
- treat poorly healed wounds and trophic ulcers,
- used for sexual dysfunction.
Tea from the leaves and bark is a source of vitamins and has anti-scorching action.
According to the testimony of ancient Chinese historical documents the emperors of the Celestial Empire, who consumed the berries of lemongrass, ruled their subjects for 110-115 years, preserving their physical and mental activity. They had many wives and concubines, because lemongrass helped the rulers to maintain masculine qualities until death. The beauties of ancient China took a bath with the juice of shizandry berries and rose, peony and peach to prolong their youth.
Lemongrass preparations are used in the prevention and treatment of:
- stimulate labor,
- diseases of the digestive tract, liver, kidney,
- pathologies of the respiratory system,
- ARI, ARVI,
- early toxicosis in pregnant women,
- sexual dysfunction
- diabetes mellitus
- reduced visual acuity
- drug intoxication,
- gastritis, duodenal ulcer and stomach ulcer,
- nervous and mental illness.
Schizandra preparations destroy pathogenic bacteria and pathogenic fungi. The pronounced bacteriostatic action of the plant has been established in relation to dysenteric amoeba, Koch sticks, pneumococcus, E. coli.
Lemongrass increases muscle endurance, as it reduces the level of lactic acid and increases the amount of glycogen, increases the delivery of oxygen to muscle fibers. The active substances of the vines stimulate the micro circulation in the peripheral tissues.
Studies are underway on the use of lignans (schizandrin, γ-schizandrin, homisin A) in the treatment of cancer.
Chinese cosmetology is used in cosmetology because of its ability to treat dermatological diseases:
- atopic dermatitis,
- lichen planus,
In oil and tincture of lemongrass there are phytohormones that prolong the youthfulness of the skin - eliminate fine wrinkles, tone up and regenerate the epidermis. Seeds contain essential fatty acids that have a rejuvenating effect. In Chinese books on medicine it is said that one who drinks lemongrass juice “becomes like a rose petal”. Lemongrass preparations are used for alopecia and early baldness.
For the treatment of skin diseases used ointment from the berries, the infusion of the fruit. The effect is enhanced if at the same time taken inside the powder from the seeds of lemongrass.
Essential oil is used for nail fungus, mycosis of the skin of the face and limbs.
Cosmetics with lemongrass effectively work with lifeless, tired, fading skin. Thanks to the substances that have an immunomodulatory effect, the products from Chinese magnolia vine protect the skin from the negative environmental effects.
The tannins contained in lemongrass help fight the enlarged pores, eliminate the increased sebum secretion.
The Japanese used juice that appears on the vine after removing the bark to strengthen the hair, make it shine and thick. They rinsed their hair after washing with a decoction of berries and leaves of lemongrass.
Even if the dried leaves of lemongrass are stored for a long time (more than 2 years), they can be used for making anti-aging baths. It is enough to put them in a gauze bag and immerse them in a hot water bath.
Means for skin care and hair can be prepared at home:
- spirit tincture of the plant - 2 drops,
- cream - 2 tbsp. l.,
- cottage cheese - 1 tbsp. l
Mix all components thoroughly. Apply to cleansed face and neck. Hold for 10 minutes. Remove the mask with a tampon dipped in tea from the berries and leaves of Schisandra. Wash face with cool water.
Alcohol lotion for problem skin:
- berries (fresh) - 2 tbsp. l.,
- Vodka - ½ l,
- glycerin - 1 tbsp. l
Berry pereteret and pour vodka. Infuse in dark glass containers for a week. Strain, squeeze raw materials. Add glycerin to the container. Before use, add 3 parts of warm boiled water to one part of the tincture and wipe problem skin 2 times a day.
Instructions for use of Chinese Schizandra
When taking the preparations of lemongrass orally, its action occurs after ½ hour and lasts 4-6 hours. Therefore, they are not recommended to be used before bedtime so as not to cause over-stimulation and sleep disturbance. Preparations are recommended to be taken on an empty stomach or 4 hours after eating.
The table below shows the recommended doses for different products from Chinese magnolia vine:
Lemongrass Chinese: medicinal beneficial properties and contraindications
There are plants, the very nature intended to help a person with a strong nervous and physical stress. They are called adaptogens. These include Chinese lemongrass, about contraindications and therapeutic properties of which we will talk.
Lemongrass Chinese - healing and beneficial properties
In nature, Chinese lemongrass, still called Far Eastern, Manchu, schizandra is a powerful liana that can climb to a height of 12 m, wrapping its flexible trunk up to 2 cm thick, near growing trees.
In spring, this plant blooms in small white flowers with a delicious lemon scent. In the autumn, complex berries ripen, similar to the small cobs of red color of tight-fitting berries.
In each berry there is only one seed.
In nature, lemongrass is found in China and Japan, the Far East and Korea. It is also grown in central Russia in ordinary gardens, where it is much more modest in size - no higher than 4 m.
At home, this plant is treated almost more often than ginseng and with the same efficiency.
If the official medicine chose to use only the fruits and seeds of lemongrass, then in folk medicine uses everything from the roots to the fruits.
Lemongrass is included in the list of 10 plants with outstanding medicinal properties.
What is the healing power of lemongrass? To understand this, let's look at its chemical composition, which has been well studied for a long time.
The healing properties of lemongrass are explained by the complex action of all the substances included in it and are as follows:
- They tone up the nervous system, contribute to its better work, while there is no effect of overstimulation. Enhanced reflex activity allows you to better concentrate and remember a large amount of information.
- In humans, endurance and performance increase. All this is very important during heavy physical exertion. This action is due to the preservation of glycogen in the muscle fibers and a decrease in the level of lactic acid in them, which is why fatigue comes much later.
- Vitamins and minerals present in the composition of the plant strengthen the immune system, contribute to the saturation of the organs with oxygen, strengthen and normalize the metabolism, which allows the body to quickly restore its strength and energy expended. It is better resistant to viral diseases, therefore it is advisable to take Schizandra preparations during an epidemic of ARVI and flu. The risk of disease is reduced by 4-5 times.
- Lemongrass preparations increase the rate of endorphin production, and therefore they are especially indicated for depression.
- The plant has an adaptogenic effect, which can be used during an abrupt change of time zones or climate. Reception of lemongrass helps to cope with stress.
- This healing plant can improve the work of the organs of vision, increase its sharpness, including at night, because it improves the nutrition of the eyes, their blood supply, relieves muscle spasms, controlled by eye nerves.
- An important function is the ability to increase pressure.
- Lemongrass preparations normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Fresh lemongrass juice has a high bacteriostatic effect. Especially well it copes with pneumococci, Escherichia coli and dysentery amoeba.
- Due to the increased blood supply to the pelvic organs, it normalizes the work of the genitals in both women and men. Being an aphrodisiac, lemongrass increases libido in the former and improves the potency in the latter.
- Strengthening the tone of the walls of the uterus, improves generic activity.
- Shizandra-based drugs increase hemoglobin and reduce the amount of harmful cholesterol and sugars in the blood.
- They restore the liver cells and have an anti-toxic effect.
- They improve the functioning of the adrenal cortex cells, maintaining hormonal balance in the body.
- Reduce the frequency of contractions of the heart, while enhancing their amplitude.
- Rejuvenate the body.
- Eliminate hangover.
- Stimulate hair growth.
- Enhance respiratory function. They have expectorant and antitussive effect.
- Official medicine uses the fruits and seeds of lemongrass in the form of alcohol tinctures. Take them no more than 3 times a day from 20 to 30 drops for half an hour before meals. The course of treatment is about 3 weeks. There is also a tablet form - Shizandra drug. On the day they drink 2 times 1 tablet in the morning and evening with meals.
- Extract of lemongrass on alcohol take 25 to 30 drops twice a day.
- Lemongrass seed oil is sold in pharmacies in the form of capsules. They are taken two or three times one after the meal. Especially they are recommended to those whose work is related to radiation, cooling, oxygen starvation.
- Traditional medicine uses all parts of the plant in the form of tinctures, tinctures and decoctions, the seeds are dried and make healing powder from them, the leaves and stems are brewed as tea, and the juice is squeezed from the fruit.
Under which pathologies benefit of lemongrass is most noticeable?
- Respiratory diseases: bronchial asthma and bronchitis, whooping cough, tuberculosis.
- Diseases of the stomach, liver, kidneys.
- Asthenic conditions, fatigue, recovery from serious illnesses.
- Diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
- Skin diseases.
- Diseases of the nervous system: neurasthenia, mental disorders, depression, amnesia.
- Vitamin deficiency and anemia.
- Trophic ulcers and non-healing wounds.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract: dysentery, diarrhea.
- Flu and SARS.
- Impotence and infertility.
Lemongrass is useful in diabetes, women in menopause, in violation of the adrenal glands, urinary incontinence and headache.
Lemongrass berries are able to prolong the youth of the skin and have a beneficial effect on the hair. They fight with fine wrinkles, help to eliminate various irritations and inflammatory processes. From lemongrass make lotions, creams, as well as nourishing masks for the skin.
- Lotion. For its preparation you need two spoons of powdered dried fruits. They are brewed with a glass of boiling water and tormented in a water bath for a quarter of an hour. After cooling, filter and add a teaspoon of honey. Keep the composition to be in the refrigerator. Wipe face if necessary.
- Moisturizing mask for skin. Mix a tablespoon of sour cream and cottage cheese, add to them three drops of infusion of lemongrass in alcohol.
- Nourishing mask. Chicken egg yolk is combined with 10 g of cream and a teaspoon of fresh berries that need to be kneaded.
There are two ways to prepare hair rinse:
- Four tablespoons of lemongrass leaves are brewed with a liter of boiling water, boiled in a water bath for about 7 minutes. In a cooled and filtered broth add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Rinse hair after washing.
- For the next recipe, you will need one tablespoon of nettle, chamomile and lemongrass leaves. The mixture should be brewed with a liter of boiling water and kept in a water bath for 10 minutes. Cool, strain. Broth rinse hair after washing.
If the consumption of lemongrass seeds is not recommended to exceed the dosage, then fresh juice of the berries can be used with almost no restrictions.
It has a peculiar taste and is widely used in the preparation of various desserts.
- Juice is used to create bouquets of fruit wines.
- Make from it ice cream, soft drinks, jelly.
- The pulp of the berries is added to the filling for sweets.
- Compote of berries and sugar syrup can be used in the winter as an additive to tea.
- Winter preparations are also made: berries are mixed with sugar in a ratio of one to two. Such a vitamin dessert can be stored for up to a year.
Lemongrass is a potent agent. Its overdose is harmful to health. Therefore, it is necessary to use lemongrass properly.
How to brew a plant?
You can brew any parts of lemongrass: leaves, bark, young shoots and even roots. On 1 l of boiling water, just 15 g of any raw material is enough. In order for the drink to acquire taste and aroma, it needs to be drawn for several minutes. A decoction of lemongrass bark helps in the treatment of caries and gum disease.
For tea, you can use berries and lemongrass. A tablespoon of the fruit is brewed with a glass of boiling water and boiled for 10 minutes in an enamel bowl. This tea should be infused day. Drink this amount by adding some sugar throughout the day.
Lemongrass preparations should be taken on an empty stomach or 4 hours after eating.
The plant under discussion combines very well with green tea. To enhance the therapeutic effect they add a third of a teaspoon of ground ginger and some honey.
- For every two teaspoons of green tea you will need a tablespoon of dried lemongrass.
- The mixture of tea and berries is brewed with 0.5 water and brought to a boil.
- After it is removed from the fire, add ginger.
- And after five minutes you can drink this tea, adding honey to taste.
More than 2 cups of tea from lemongrass per day can not drink.
Lemongrass tincture is easy to buy at the pharmacy. But in the presence of raw materials it can be prepared independently.
- As a rule, berries pour alcohol in a ratio of 1: 5.
- Pharmaceutical tincture is prepared on alcohol 96% concentration. For home cooking, a 50% alcohol concentration is sufficient.
- After 10 days of settling in a dark place at room temperature, the mixture should be drained and another 20 ml of alcohol should be added to the sediment.
- Again insisting for 10 days and straining.
- In the process of infusion, the mixture is shaken daily.
- Mix both tinctures and add the same volume of pure, preferably distilled water.
Take 2 weeks 2.5 ml from 2 to 3 times a day, if there is depression, dizziness, sleep disturbance.
Juice and syrup
Juice is made from freshly picked berries and added by a teaspoon to one glass of tea. If it is pasteurized for 15 minutes and hermetically sealed, it is well stored in a dark place. Juice can be used for rubbing into the scalp, if there is a tendency to baldness.
You can make a syrup from it if you add 1.5 kg of sugar to each liter. The mixture should be slightly warmed to dissolve the sugar. Store the syrup in a sterile container in a dark place. Take with food three times a day, one tablespoon. You can add syrup to any drinks. The term of admission - a month. This syrup can be purchased at the pharmacy.
In the seeds of the highest content of schizandrin and schizandrol, so the preparations of them are very effective. They are ground to powder and pressed into tablets. The powder is advised to take 0.5 grams before meals 2 to 3 times a day. It is better not to prepare it for the future much, but to grind up such a quantity of seeds that it would make about 1 teaspoon.
There are diseases in which they are strictly contraindicated:
- diseases associated with impaired cardiac activity,
- arachnoiditis and arachnoencephalitis, as well as high intracranial pressure,
- acute stage of infectious diseases
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding,
- vascular dystonia,
- individual intolerance lemongrass.
Excess dosage of the drug may cause the following side effects:
- insomnia, especially if the drug is taken in the afternoon,
- головная боль,
- повышение давления,
- аллергические реакции.
Если наблюдается хотя бы один из этих побочных эффектов, прием препарата следует прекратить.
Photos, composition, caloric value, nutritional value and glycemic index of the plant
In the Far East, where this plant grows in the wild, the local population uses only berries for food.
However, as a remedy, use the trunk of lianas, leaves, berries and seeds.
It is believed that tea made from wood shavings is invigorating and raises the pressure., the berries soothe and normalize the pressure, and the seeds concentrate in themselves most of the energy charge, so they are used as a biostimulant for vigor and blood pressure.
These are ideas about the properties of this plant of people who extract it in the Far Eastern taiga.
Closer to the fall in the markets of Khabarovsk, Blagoveshchensk and Vladivostok, curled up on the shelves like snakes, lay vines intended for sale. Fresh and canned fruit are sold immediately.and already dried seeds.
How justified is the population’s perception of the composition and properties of this largest liana in Russia?
The composition of liana includes the following substances:
- AT the whole plant tissues contain steroids (especially β-sitosterol), lignans, diterpenoids, volatile oil, higher fatty acids.
- The fruit contains many pectins, tartaric, citric and malic acids.. In addition, red berries contain ascorbic acid, tannins, vitamin P, tocopherols, schizandrins, sterols.
- Seeds contain vitamin E, tar, fatty oil.
- Of the minerals in the most potassium, iron, barium, manganese, selenium, phosphorus, iodine, copper.
Berries have a very low calorie. Per 100 g of fresh fruit accounts for only 11 kcal. The glycemic index is not high - about 25. However, it fluctuates when cooking the product.
The nutritional value of the berries is as follows:
In this way, lemongrass as a food product is a source of proteins and carbohydrates, but, above all, it should be considered as food containing substances very beneficial to human health.
In folk and official medicine, lemongrass in all its manifestations is considered primarily as a medicine, which is not without reason. To table of contents
What is good for health?
It is believed that the most important effect of this creeper on the human body is to raise the tone. However, it is impossible to reduce its action only to a tonic effect, since it is rather a consequence, not a result.
In official medicine, lemongrass extracts are used to:
- strengthen the activity of the central nervous system,
- strengthen the tone of the cardiovascular system
- cure hypotension
- stimulate the respiratory system,
- strengthen the motor-secretory activity of the digestive system,
- activate the functioning of the uterus,
- increase the strength of the skeletal muscles,
- increase metabolism
- stimulate tissue repair processes
- increase immunity
- reduce blood sugar
- stimulate cellular respiration.
This list of positive effects cannot be called complete., because this plant directly or indirectly affects all organs, tissues and body functions. It does not cure, but makes a person healthy.
It is for this reason that it is recommended to take people with excellent health, but who are in extreme conditions of mental and physical exertion.
The benefits and harm to the body of different groups of people
The problem of using lemongrass as a remedy is that it usually cannot be consumed by those who need it most.
The effect of all parts of this plant on people in different age categories and physiological states is ambiguous.
- For adult men and women, not suffering from serious illnesses, all parts of the vine are a guarantee of good health for many years. It is advisable to drink this remedy regularly in people of this age category, but with interruptions of several months. These breaks are necessary to ensure that the body is not accustomed to the constant stimulation of its activities.
- Pregnant women can eat berries and plant leaf extracts, but in small quantities, as a tonic effect can cause a miscarriage.
- Lemongrass for nursing women would be very helpful., especially immediately after childbirth. However, there is the problem of exposure to the child.
The baby may have a disturbed sleep, an increased irritability will appear. So a nursing mother can take it only in small doses, and only if the child tolerates the tonic effect of the drugs well.
Usually children are encouraged to take lemongrass no earlier than adolescence.. Such restrictions are due to the fact that by the age of 12-13 the human psyche is no longer childish.
This allows you to adjust the intake of toning drugs in accordance with the state of health. Adolescence is often associated with contrasts of well-being. In different people, growth problems of the body and hormonal changes can be accompanied by both increased excitability and chronic hypotension with loss of strength. In the latter case the use of any parts of the vine can help young people successfully deal with problems of transition.
People aged over 50, lemongrass is extremely necessary. It helps to fight aging problems, stimulates the digestive tract, improves eyesight, activates cardiovascular activity.
However, multiple age-related changes lead to frequent hypertension.. Because of the fear of blood pressure surges, doctors forbid elderly people to use the necessary lemongrass for them. The way out of this situation is simple - you need to drink the drugs for a long time, but with portions of soap.You can eat berries, but avoid eating seeds. And best of all people with age problems drink tea from the leaves with berries, grated in sugar.
Any remedy has a special category of consumers.. Allergy to lemongrass is not often observed.
However, if a person has an allergic reaction even to the pollen of this plant, then it is better to refuse to use all other plant parts. The leukemic index of schisandra is considered low, therefore, it is possible to reduce the level of sugar in the blood, but only under medical supervision. athletes and people engaged in hard physical labor, can take lemongrass often and long courses. This will only improve the condition of their body, athletic performance and productivity.
The peculiarity of drugs from this vine is the inertness of the action.. This means that the maximum effect occurs as the active substances accumulate.
Usually in a person prone to hypertension, the pressure begins to rise several days after the start of treatment.
A positive result, but in a weak form can manifest through one or two steps.. This should be taken into account by those taking the drug to improve physical fitness and improve efficiency.
Increasing the dose after the first two doses on the grounds that the initial dose does not work well is not permissible. Conclusions about the effectiveness of the drug should be done not earlier than after five days of taking.
Particular care should be taken when consuming seeds or extracts based on them.. The fact is that the seeds contain resinous substances.
Passing through the kidneys, these substances can irritate the tissues. Those who have suffered nephritis and other kidney diseases, it is better not to risk, and replace the use of seeds with drugs from other parts of the plant.
Fully lemongrass is contraindicated in:
The problem is that the berries of this plant contain many acids, so it is also contraindicated for those whose gastrointestinal tract does not tolerate acidic substances.
During pregnancy and lactation, the ban of lemongrass is not so categorical. However, in this case, you need to observe maximum caution.
How can be used in cooking
Eat berries fresh and canned.. They are dried, frozen, rubbed with sugar or honey, boiled with sugar.
The best method of canning is, of course, fast freezing.
Some of the nutritional properties and vitamins are lost, but in general, the berries retain their properties.
A very tasty and aromatic product is obtained if the berries are passed through a meat grinder, and then mixed with sugar or honey in a proportion of 1 part of lemongrass to 2 parts of a sweet product.
Drying fruits is difficult, it is necessary to resort to forced drying in special chambers. The undoubted advantage of such preservation of the product is the storage time (about 2 years) and small volumes of container.
However, it is best to make juice. If you simply squeeze the juice out of the berries without diluting it with water, then such a concentrate is stored for a very long time without special preservation. And the stones from such berries can be dried, ground into powder and taken as intended.
Usually, fragrant berries are added to cereals and cottage cheese, mixed in jelly with other berries, baked in cakes as a filling. Particularly interesting is the filling of a mixture of lemongrass, viburnum, blueberry, lingonberry and other taiga berries.
Use in traditional medicine
The healing properties of Chinese Schizandra are used in the treatment of various diseases.
The therapeutic course and single doses for treatment with such a drug depend on the purpose of its use.. In order to cope with chronic fatigue, it is enough to use 25 drops of tincture twice a day before meals.
This dose can be doubled.if you need sports records and high productivity.
When your body is weakened by a long illness, and the pressure is constantly changing from any exposure, the dose is reduced by half, taking the medicine only in the morning. And it is better to switch to tea from the leaves of liana. back to index ↑
Harvesting Chinese magnolia vine
When collecting raw lemongrass brush should be plucked very carefully. In no case should not liana with trees and shrubs, tearing large branches of vines, cool bend or cut trees that serve as a support for lemongrass. Damaged vines usually cease to bear fruit.
Freshly harvested lemongrass is placed in a rigid container - baskets, barrels or enameled buckets. Galvanized buckets should not be used as containers, since they are oxidized from the juice of schisandra. The collected raw materials are delivered to the procurement center as quickly as possible. The fruits, which were not sent in time, produce juice on the second day and begin to ferment, which sharply reduces their value.
The juice of the fruit squeezed on a screw or hydraulic presses. After the completion of pectin fermentation in the pulp, the seeds are separated under a strong stream of water from the skin and pulp (pulp) on sieves with a hole diameter of 4-5 mm. To improve the quality of raw materials, it is necessary to remove from it the seeds floating in water. The washed seeds are dried in air dryers with ventilation. The yield of dry seeds from the mass of raw fruit is about 5%.
Lemongrass fruits are dried on sieves in heat dryers at a temperature of 35-40 ° C and then dried at a temperature of 60-70 ° C, after which they, like the dried seeds, are cleaned of impurities. Lemongrass fruits dry out more than 80%. The diameter of the dried fruit is 5-6 mm, they are irregular in shape with a strongly wrinkled skin of red-brown color.
Lemongrass Chinese Treatment
Lemongrass Chinese is a valuable medicinal plant and is cultivated in many countries. In both scientific and traditional medicine, Chinese lemongrass is used as a powerful tonic for overwork, exhaustion of the nervous system, reduced mental and physical performance, for healing of trophic ulcers and long-lasting wounds. Lemongrass contributes to a more prolonged preservation of strength and energy in people engaged in heavy mental or physical labor.
Tincture of berries and leaves of lemongrass to improve performance
Tincture works great as a stimulant of the body, increases strength, protects against colds, lethargy, dystonia, beriberi. There are two general methods of preparing tinctures: from the fruit of schisandra and from the plant itself. Both 70% and 96% alcohol can be used.
- It is necessary to take 1 part of lemongrass fruits (both ripe and dried) and 5 parts of alcohol of 70% concentration, pour the fruits of lemongrass into dark glassware and pour with alcohol. Infuse in a dark cool place for 10 days, shaking the contents periodically. Then the tincture is filtered and stored in a dark, corked glass container in a cool place protected from bright light. The usual method of application: 2 times a day (preferably in the morning and at lunch) 20-30 drops for 20-30 minutes before meals. Course duration - 1 month.
- You need to take 1 part of the cut plant (washed leaves, shoots) into 3 parts of 70% alcohol. In a bowl of dark glass you need to mix the alcohol and the stems and leaves. Insist in a dark and cool place for 8-10 days. Then strain. The tincture of the plant must be taken or on an empty stomach, or 4 hours after eating 2-3 times a day, 20-30 drops. The course is the same: 3-4 weeks.
Tincture from the seeds of Schisandra Chinese
Restores strength, stimulates mental and physical activity, strengthens the body as a whole, is a vitamin complex that improves the functioning of the nervous and immune systems. It is also recommended the use of tincture with an increase in gastric acidity, hypotension, drowsiness, loss of attention, during physical and mental adaptation, with a deterioration of different sensitivities (hearing, vision, etc.).
- 50 g of lemongrass seeds
- 0.5 liters of vodka
Rinse the seeds of lemongrass well to remove leftover berries. Then chop them thoroughly and fill with vodka. Put in a dark place for 14 days. The finished tincture is used 25 drops up to 3 times a day.
To enhance physical and mental activity, you can prepare an infusion of lemongrass berries. Both fresh and dried berries are suitable. The dried fruits of lemongrass must be brewed as tea and drink to raise the tone of the body and relieve fatigue, as well as against scurvy. How to dry? Slightly dried berries of lemongrass should be put on a baking sheet in a single layer and put in a baking sheet in the oven, preheated to 60 C. It should be dried in 3 4 doses for several days.
Infusion of Chinese Schizandra berries
- 15 g fruits of lemongrass
- 300 ml of boiling water
Pour the chopped berries with boiling water, heat over low heat, without boiling, for 15 minutes. Take 1 tablespoon 2 3 times a day, but not later than 5 hours before bedtime.
For the winter, lemongrass can be prepared in the form of fresh berries in sugar. Very effective means to be always in good working form.
Fresh berries of lemongrass in sugar
The berries are lightly dried, covered with sugar in a 1: 2 ratio, mixed, placed in glass jars, covered with lids or paper and stored in a cool place. Used as an additive to tea.
Multiply the strength of tea or infusion of leaves and shoots of lemongrass, both fresh and dried. Leaves, stems, bark of lemongrass affect the body more gently than berries and preparations from berries, because they have less tonic substances than in fruits. Infusion and tea relieves well depression.
In August, it is advisable to prepare the leaves and young (one- and two-year-old) shoots, chop them, arrange them in a thin layer on paper and dry in a shaded place that is well ventilated. Then put in storage in a dark cool place. Can be stored in fabric bags.
How to make juice from berries of Chinese lemongrass
Wash the berries, squeeze the juice in the juicer. Ready juice pour into clean jars and sterilize, hermetically seal. Store in a cool place. For use 1 teaspoon of lemongrass juice is diluted in 200 ml of hot water. Juice is added to tea or coffee 1-1.5 teaspoons 2 times a day with a decrease in tone and exhaustion.
Washed berries squeeze in a juicer. The remaining marc is filled with hot water 1: 1 and again squeeze the juice. The juice of the first and second spinning mix, strain, pour into an enamel pan, heat to 95 ° C and hot pour into banks. Sterilize banks, hermetically sealed. Store in a cool place.
After making the juice from the fruits of lemongrass, we still have the push-ups. Wine can be made from these margins, which not only gives strength to perform any work, increases tone, but also quenches thirst.
Alcohol tincture of lemongrass
This tincture is sold in pharmacies, but you can make it at home. It is used as a vitamin, tonic, tonic, improves the work of the nervous and immune systems, especially good for asthenia and nervous breakdown.
- 20 g of ripe or dry fruits of lemongrass
- 100 ml of 70% alcohol
Chop the berries of lemongrass, pour into a dark glass bottle, pour in alcohol, close tightly and leave for 10 days at room temperature in a dark place. The bottle must be shaken from time to time. After this, strain the tincture, squeeze out the berries and insist for two more days, then strain again. Now the tincture should be transparent. Take 20 30 drops 2 times a day, in the morning and at lunch 30 minutes before meals. The course of treatment is from 20 to 35 days.
Tonic tea from Schisandra Chinese
Листья или ветки лимонника измельчить, залить кипятком, настоять как обычный чай. Этот тонизирующий чай имеет приятный вкус. Ягоды, листья и кора лимонника используются в качестве противоцинготного средства.
Чай из листьев или веток лимонника – прекрасный заменитель натурального чая. It is a beautiful golden color, perfectly relieves fatigue, soothes, adds strength, refreshes in the heat, has the aroma of lemon.
The leaves and stems have a milder effect than the berries of lemongrass, as they have less tonic substances.
Water infusion of leaves and infusions of lemongrass bark has long been used by folk medicine as an excellent vitamin and anti-scorpion remedy.
Medicinal properties, contraindications and recipes - from the book TA Litvinova "The great medicine of the Chinese emperors for 1000 diseases. Lemongrass: how to be treated and how to grow.
How is used in cosmetology
Lemongrass can be used to improve the skin of the face in any form. Alcohol tincture can wipe herpes and acne. Infusion of wood chips vines can be washed.
This will give your skin a firm and fresh look. However, the most popular and pleasant mask is a mixture of honey (2 parts), sour cream (2 parts) and lemongrass juice (1 part).
Juice can be used not peeled, that is, along with gruel. This well-mixed mixture should be kept on the skin of the face for about 30 minutes, after which it should be washed off and smeared with a moisturizing cream.
Is it possible to use lemongrass for weight loss? Sure you may. This plant is not able to remove fat from the body..
However, he has many other useful properties that allow a person to lose those extra pounds. Low calorie content and a lot of useful substances allow us to replace sweet fruits and berries with lemongrass with the benefit of a figure.
In addition, the fruits normalize blood sugar levels, which is also important for maintaining not only health, but also a slim figure. back to index ↑
Useful properties of leaves
The leaves of Schizandra Chinese contain a huge amount of micro and macro elements useful for the body, among them: cobalt, magnesium, zinc, aluminum, calcium, iron, iodine, manganese, as well as vitamins, organic compounds, minerals.
Essential oil has the most valuable properties, including Schizandrol and Schizandrin in its composition. They help cleanse the liver, which has a beneficial effect on its work, improve blood flow and tone up the nervous system.
Important! Healing drinks from the leaves have a milder effect on the body than the fruits and are used as an aid in basic treatment and prevention.
Depending on the needs, the leaves are harvested in the axis formation phase (flavonoids are removed) and during the shedding period (mucus is obtained).
Tea (lemongrass used sheets), with a delicate aroma, with citrus notes. It nourishes the body with vitamin C, and is a prophylactic against scurvy. Infusions from the leaves can be used as a vitamin remedy, strengthens the immune system and helps to fight viruses, bacteria.
Useful properties of berries - how to use
The Chinese lemongrass berries have a unique composition: minerals, starch, fiber, vitamins, organic acids, micro and macronutrients.
How to use the fruit? For the manufacture of dosage forms is recommended to use only in dry form.
But fresh berries with a high degree of viscosity and a high content of acid, suitable for fruit drink, wine, syrup, jelly. Also from the fruits make jam.
Phased drying (main at 400, dosushka at 600) allows you to save all the useful substances, including schizandrol, schizandrin.
The benefits of lemongrass for the body open in natural juice, which is perfectly stored in the refrigerator. To obtain a tonic, refreshing, invigorating drink it is diluted with water.
What are the benefits of bone Chinese magnolia
Seeds of Schisandra Chinese have a composition similar to the fruits, but are distinguished by the presence of a greater amount of fatty, essential oils, vitamin E and tocopherol.
Traditional medicine finds them use in the treatment of diseases of the upper respiratory tract and gastrointestinal tract, including the correction of the liver and kidneys.
Important! Lemongrass bones are composed of lignans. They have two important properties for the body: they compensate for the lack of phytoestrogens, which are similar in structure to steroid hormones, and help fight free radicals. The latter function is important for the skin, which quickly slows down the production of collagen and elastin under the influence of the polluted environment of megacities.
It is worth knowing that more than 2 g of seed powder leads to a decrease in the acidity of the gastric juice when it is high and, on the contrary, it increases it when it is low. Studies have shown that the powder from the seeds of Chinese Schizandra in a dosage of 1 g 3 times a day is able to eliminate pains in gastritis and ulcer. It is better to take 30 minutes before meals.
To improve performance and relieve tension after mental, physical activity, it is recommended to prepare tincture on seeds (96% alcohol + seeds). Use 20-30 drops, depending on body weight, on an empty stomach.
How to brew Chinese lemongrass
The plant for broth can be used in its full form, that is, dried branches, leaves, berries and seeds.
The branches of Schisandra, the beneficial properties of which are not inferior to leaves and fruits, are most conveniently used in beverages, and prepare it faster: you need to cut and hang to dry in a dark, ventilated place. A decoction of them nourishes the body with vitamins and microelements, tones, improves the protective properties of the body, speeds up metabolism, normalizes blood circulation, and is also taken for potency.
Effective recipes for use
Recipes for making lemongrass are different and depend on the type of disease:
- for immunity: 1 tbsp. l from dried branches, berries and leaves, pour 1 cup boiling water, allow to infuse for 2 hours, free from oil cake and drink 2 tbsp. l before eating,
- The following infusion will help to normalize blood pressure, improve heart function: 10 fruits + 100 ml boiling water, put the mixture in a water bath and bring it to readiness for 15 minutes. Take 1 tsp. daily,
- to improve the tone: mix the leaves of lemongrass and black tea in proportions of 1: 2. Brew and drink instead of tea in reasonable doses,
- for vision: 1 part dried berries + 5 parts alcohol (96% alcohol, vodka). If the drug is prepared with a less high-grade drink, then insist 3-4 weeks, if on alcohol - 2 weeks. Regular intake of 30-40 drops 2 times a day will increase visual acuity and improve visibility in the dark.
Useful properties for the strong half of humanity
Chinese lemongrass for men is usually taken to improve the quality of sex life, but the folk method can make it worse in the following cases:
- cardiovascular diseases,
- high blood pressure,
- allergic to any component of the plant.
The manufacture of the dosage form can be any: tincture, decoction, tea. Consider some of them:
- tincture. Seeds are poured with vodka, set aside for 2 weeks and taken 30 drops 3 times a day,
- tea. 1 tbsp. spoon of dry berries poured 1 tbsp. water, infused for 6 hours and is drunk with added sugar.
Important! Far Eastern schisandra is taken only with obvious sexual dysfunction. Moreover, it will act on the body in a complex way: increasing the potency, working capacity and improving the barrier functions of the body.
Allowed to use fresh or dry berries (2-3 pieces) immediately before sexual intercourse. This is due to the fact that the effect of lemongrass is carried out immediately, and not after a long reception.
Diet with Chinese lemongrass
Berries of Schizandra Chinese, whose properties have been applied in dietology, can reduce blood sugar levels.
With a restriction in the intake of fatty, high-calorie foods, it is still worthwhile to include sweets in a small amount, since a complete restriction in sugar leads to headaches, apathy, absent-mindedness of attention.
In turn, the plant is able to reduce the absorption of carbohydrates by the body. It is enough to sprinkle vegetables, salads, dishes from fish and meat with juice from berries.
Important! The duration of any diet using lemongrass should not exceed more than 30 days. The juice contains metals such as silver and titanium. Accumulating, they destroy the walls of the stomach, causing pain and nausea.
But this is not all the advantages of a diet with Chinese lemongrass. Juice has a large amount of vitamin C, which accelerates all metabolic processes in the body, cleanses the body of toxins, and has a beneficial effect on the work of the digestive tract, especially the stomach.
The calorie content of the product is 11 kcal per 100 g. Approximately 20–30 g of juice is used per filling, which means that it will definitely not affect the figure.
Children under 12 years old are not recommended to use the plant, because until this age the child’s nervous system is only formed and developed. But adolescents can be included in the daily diet as an infusion. What is useful lemongrass for them? It contributes to the proper formation of the central and peripheral nervous system.
Infusion is made according to the following recipe: 1 tsp. dry leaves and branches pour 200 ml of water, boil for 20 minutes using an enameled container. Insist until cool. Give children of school age 40 g in the morning and after lunch.
This popular plant has the appearance of creepers and many other names. Often it is called shizandra, Manchu or Far Eastern lemongrass. The most famous is the existence of the Chinese version. It is used more often than other species.
The stem of lemongrass has a branching appearance. Its diameter can reach 2 cm, and stretch in length, it is capable of up to 15 m. The shoots are covered with bark with a reddish-brown tint.
Young shoots have a glossy surface, and in old it acquires a scaly character. In the direction of the hour hand, shoots with their growth twist around shrubs, the trunk of large trees.
During one growing season the plant is able to rise to one and a half meters.
Red-brown roots contain alternate leaves, the length of which can reach 3 cm. The foliage has an elliptical shape. Paul flowers separate. Their location is a long pink pedicels. The fruits are represented by berries in the shape of a ball. The fruit contains two seeds with a brown tinge.
Flowers, stems and leaves produce a strong smell, similar to lemon, for which the plant got its name. Flowering plant falls in May. The pronounced aroma naturally attracts insects that actively pollinate it. Fruit ripening occurs in September-October. At this time, they soften, the character of the pulp becomes more juicy, and the fruits themselves are covered with a thin layer of peel.
Reproduction is carried out by means of seeds and vegetation. The plant is found in the Far East, Primorsky, Khabarovsk, Amur Oblast, on Sakhalin.
The plant is demanding of water, since it does not tolerate dryness at all, but at the same time does not tolerate excessive moisture. He does not like shade; therefore, it grows well in places of the former fires, where all the trees that can shade and inhibit its growth have burned down.
As a medicinal plant it is cultivated artificially. Whole plantations are created for its cultivation.
marshmallow - therapeutic properties and contraindications
As part of the plant you can find a large number of chemical representatives:
- The biological value is determined by the content of schizandrol and schizandrin in it.
- The plant contains many representatives of the organic acid series - such as malic, tartaric, citric acid.
- A certain amount contains minerals. Their set is diverse, and the number of some of them is quite decent in size.
- From vitamin substances should focus on vitamin E. It is present in considerable quantities.
- Seeds differ in the content of various tonic substances.
- Fruits contain essential oils and substances of a sequiterpene nature.
- In sufficient quantities are tannins and dyes.
Who shows the plant?
The plant is used and will be useful in a number of states:
- It is advisable to apply the plant to someone whose condition is associated with a breakdown.
- Useful lemongrass bude individuals with low blood pressure.
- Anemia of various origins.
- Bronchial asthma, conditions associated with acute and chronic bronchitis.
- Tuberculosis process.
- In order to improve the function of the organ of vision.
- Pathology of the digestive tract.
- Sexual impotence.
Take the preparations of schisandra should be, if there is a need to improve mental and physical endurance.
Possible side effects
Drugs based on lemongrass can cause a number of side effects. These include the following points:
- The occurrence of a condition associated with tachycardia.
- The development of allergic reactions.
- Sleep may be disturbed.
- The occurrence of headaches.
With care, it should be used for people with high blood pressure, because it increases with the use of schisandra.
Traditional medicine has long been quite widely used plant. Useful properties recognized and traditional medicine.
Preparation of tincture
Its use will improve mood and increase efficiency. Prepare on alcohol with a strength of 70 and 96%.
Option number 1
To cook it you will need:
- 1 part of ripe or dry fruits of lemongrass,
- alcohol 70% - 5 parts.
Preparing tincture in a dark flask. Berries are poured into it, which are subsequently poured with alcohol. The composition is infused for 10 days. All this period, it is necessary to shake it periodically. After the expiration of the term, the composition is filtered and stored in cool conditions.
When storing, avoid direct sunlight. The flask must be tightly closed during storage. The dosage is 20-30 drops in the morning on an empty stomach. Meal is carried out not earlier than in 20-30 minutes. The second time, take the tincture in the afternoon. This is done for one month.
This duration is the course of treatment.
Option number 2
It uses leaves or shoots of the plant. Would need:
- 1 part finely chopped leaves,
- alcohol 70% - 3 parts.
The preparation of the terms and conditions is identical to the first case, but the reception relationship has its own nuances. They also take 20-30 drops, but after the meal and not earlier than after 4 hours.
Seeds for tincture
Acceptance of this tincture stimulates mental and physical activity. As a vitamin complex, tincture leads to the strengthening of the body, improves the work of the nervous and immune systems.
It is also shown to those who have increased acidity. Tincture will increase the pressure and relieve drowsiness. Reception means helps to improve mental adaptation. It helps to improve and sensory activity.
For cooking you will need:
- Chinese lemongrass seeds - 50 g,
- Vodka - 0.5 liters.
Before cooking, the seeds are well washed with water. Then their grinding is required. After that, they poured vodka. Composed of two weeks in the dark. To use the tincture is necessary three times a day for 25-30 drops at the reception.
Preparation of infusion: take the berries in dried form. Allowed to use and fresh berries. They need to be brewed with boiling water and used in the form of tea. This drink will significantly raise the tone of the body.
In order for the effect to be maximum in size, it is necessary to dry the berries correctly. At first, they need to be slightly dried in the air, and then they are placed on a baking sheet and placed in the oven. The temperature should not exceed 60 degrees. Drying is carried out four times and lasts several days.
Berries for infusion
To prepare the infusion will require the following components:
- Berry medicinal plants - 15 g.
- Boiling water in a volume of 300 ml.
The berries are pre-crushed, and then poured boiling water. The composition is put on fire, brought to a boil and kept in this state for a quarter of an hour. At one time you need only one tablespoon. This is done 2-3 times a day, no later than 5 hours before bedtime.
Fruits are harvested for the winter. To do this, they are poured sugar. As such, they are well stored and allow you to always be in good shape. The ratio of berries and sugar is 1: 2. After that, they are placed in a glass container, tightly capped and stored in cold conditions.
Cooking therapeutic juice
For this purpose, you can use the usual juicer. The juice is bottled and sterilized. It is necessary to store in the refrigerator in the corked look. When used, the juice is diluted with warm water. To raise the tone, the juice can be added to tea or coffee. Before preparing the juice, naturally, the berries must be thoroughly washed.
It is not necessary to prepare an alcohol tincture at home, as it is commercially available in pharmacies. By the way, it is quite inexpensive. It is usually taken twice a day in the morning and in the afternoon. At one time there are 20-30 drops. Do this for half an hour before meals. The course of treatment is one month.
It will be useful to use tea from this plant, which is able to increase the tone. It is not only useful, but also pleasant when used to taste. All parts of the plant can be used for making tea, except for the roots. This drink is excellent in color with a golden hue. In hot weather, it will perfectly refresh, tone up, improve mood and add strength.
Листья растения обладают более мягким действием, чем ягоды, поскольку веществ, обладающих тонизирующими свойствами, в них значительно меньше. Этот напиток может служить отличным витаминным средством, а также использоваться в борьбе с таким заболеванием, как цинга.
Women, watching their figure, can not worry about the calorie plants. It is only 11 kcal, contained in 100 g of the product.
Before you begin treatment with lemongrass, you should consult with your doctor, and during treatment to strictly comply with all his prescriptions.
St. John's wort - medicinal properties and contraindications