Snot in a newborn baby: what to do, how to treat
Soaps with babies
Sometimes babies nipples are the only sign of acute respiratory viral infections, but in other cases they are also accompanied by cough, tearing and high fever.
Often you hear the phrase “snot will pass by themselves” or “the untreated rhinitis goes away after a week, and the treatment takes seven days,” from which parents conclude that it is not necessary to treat snot in an infant. However, this disease delivers many problems to both children and their mothers. Because of nasal congestion, children eat poorly, do not sleep, are naughty, belch, and mothers are afraid that children will choke on mucus during sleep.
Of course, recovery from severe immunity will not be greatly accelerated, but it is still necessary to treat a runny nose for two reasons. First, to alleviate the symptoms. Each of us knows how hard it is to live with a stuffy nose: breathing is difficult, the head is poured and sore, because of the constant snot around the nose irritation appears. Children cannot report this, but they have the same problems. Secondly, in young children, the infection spreads faster than in adults to the respiratory tract, glands. Sinusitis in children under 2 years of age does not and cannot be, but pneumonia may well.
Therefore, treatment should also be aimed at stopping the spread of infection.
Sometimes the cause of snot is not an infection at all. An experienced pediatrician will quickly determine this. Up to 10 weeks the child only adapts to the environment. If the air in the room is too dry or a lot of dust, the mucous membrane in the nose will first become dry, and then the "water" will run. Such snot do not need to be treated. To rhinitis, you must create a comfortable environment in the nursery.
How to treat snot in infants?
Treatment of snot in infants
Any treatment must be agreed with the doctor. It is not recommended to give antiviral drugs to the child at the first sign of a cold. A pediatrician can prescribe them with a strong infection or with a weakened immunity. These include Interferon (diluted powder in water and drip into the nose), Ergoferon, Arbidol.
Vasoconstrictor drops need to buy special children, which are allowed at the age in which the child is. It is very convenient to use drugs in the form of sprays. It is easier to avoid overdose. They should be applied strictly according to the instructions, no more than 3 times a day and no longer than 3-4 days. If the runny nose continues, the doctor will replace the drug with another.
For children's drops include:
To crust in the nose did not dry out, it needs to be moistened and rinsed. To do this, you can use the brine or purchase means for washing type Aqua Maris, Otrivin. Otrivin has in the set a special device for washing, which facilitates the process, but it is suitable only for older children.
It is necessary to suck off the snot with an aspirator or a pear.
Small children can not blow their nose or cough, they swallow mucus, choke. During a runny nose you can find mucus in the feces. To cope with this you need to regularly remove mucus from the nose of the child. However, it is also important not to overdo it, in order not to increase the swelling of the mucous membrane.
Video on how to treat sopelki in infants.
To alleviate the condition of the child, it is important to maintain sufficient humidity in the room. To do this, you can use sprayers or automatic humidifiers. They are also convenient because they have a disinfection function. Some doctors recommend to bury breast milk in children’s nose, as it contains protective substances. However, the effectiveness of this method has not been studied. It is believed that such treatment may increase inflammation.
Now in pharmacies you can find a lot of tools from the cold. For example, plasters soaked in eucalyptus oil and camphor. It is not recommended to glue them on clothes for small children, it is better to stick them on the back of the bed. Ensure that no allergic reaction occurs. Do not rinse the child's nose under pressure. This can lead to otitis.
Traditional methods of treatment
Treatment snot folk remedies
Traditional medicine is generous to recipes, but you need to be very careful even with respect to those tips that have been tested for centuries. Everything you do must be approved by a pediatrician. Young children may be allergic to herbs, vegetables, or berries.
A few popular recipes:
- If the child is not allergic to chamomile, you can dig in the nostrils of a decoction of chamomile. It reduces inflammation and stops the multiplication of bacteria.
- Recipes with natural beetroot and carrot juices are very popular. Juice must be diluted with water 1: 1, you can add oil. Concentrated juice can cause a mucosal burn, an allergy that will only aggravate the situation.
- It is sometimes recommended that sea buckthorn oil be dripped into the baby’s nose. However, not all pediatricians approve of this method, considering that the edema can be aggravated by the oil, it will pinch from irritation, and the child can inhale the oil.
- You can bury the juice of aloe diluted with water, and the water should be much more than juice. After such treatment, the child will begin to actively sneeze, it does not need to be afraid. After sneezing comes relief.
- Some parents treat a cold with honey, but this is not recommended. Honey is a strong allergen, it can increase swelling.
- Aromatherapy for the child is useful and even desirable. To do this, you can buy an aroma lamp, drip eucalyptus oil into the water and leave it lit for 10 minutes. You can just drip the oil on the blotter and hang in the children's room, the smell will spread. Such inhalation will ease breathing.
Remember that the child’s reaction to a particular folk remedy is always unpredictable. Even if all your girlfriends dripped juices and herbs and helped them, your child may react differently.
For the first time, always use the minimum dose of the remedy to check for allergies.
Modern medicine is generally quite skeptical about folk remedies for infants. Doctors do not recommend dripping any juices, herbs, and steam inhalation, as they either harm or do not have any pronounced effect.
Every mother who has already gone through a child’s common cold thinks about how to protect her baby in the future and prevent infection from entering the body.
For this you need to follow some rules of prevention:
- Among the drugs that are prescribed for prevention, especially proved Anaferon. You can take it almost from birth. It strengthens the protective functions of the body.
- An important role is played by proper child care. From the month of his life, he needs to be hardened with air baths, more often to walk in the fresh air away from the roads and cars, to bathe daily. As a result of this care, the body’s resistance to infections is enhanced.
- It is important to properly dress the child. Of course, in the cold you need to dress warmly, but this does not mean that you need to muffle the child so that he starts to sweat and then he has a cold. Choose warm clothes from natural materials. For kids who have not yet begun to walk, best fit the jumpsuits.
- Limit contact with sick people. Some mothers believe that the child must be ill in order to gain immunity, but contact with infectious patients is dangerous, because you do not know exactly what a person is sick with. The fact that an adult causes only cough in a child can develop into a more serious disease.
- Carefully clean the room where the child is located. Wet clean, wipe off dust, as it can cause allergic rhinitis.
- Pediatricians recommend giving vitamin D to year-round small children, as it helps to strengthen the immune system.
They say that children under 3 years of age have practically no immunity, and it is hardly possible to create it artificially. The only thing that parents can do is to follow simple rules that will help avoid dangerous infections.
Noticed a mistake? Select it and click Ctrl + Enterto let us know.
Snot in a newborn (up to 4 weeks)
The runny nose of a newborn - even if it is of a physiological nature, brings a lot of anxiety to parents and the baby itself. Discharge from the spout, congestion interferes with normal vital activity, prevents the child from sleeping, eating well (children may even give up their breasts), spoil their mood - the crumb becomes tearful.
The appearance of snot may be due to:
• exposure to the respiratory tract of a virus or bacteria,
• a foreign object in the nose,
• side effect of medication.
To know the cause is necessary to properly act during therapy. Of course, you cannot prescribe a treatment yourself. First of all, parents need to seek help from a pediatrician, who will determine what factor served to cause a head cold and prescribe proper treatment.
How to understand what started a runny nose: symptoms
The main symptom is the discharge from the nose, having a certain color, which depends on what stage the disease is and on the cause of the disease. At the very beginning there are transparent snot (and at the physiological rhinitis they remain so). Gradually, the selection becomes thicker and change color.
White snot, as well as yellowish and greenish talk about the stagnant process. Green or yellow mucus becomes due to the death of bacteria that caused inflammation. I.e green and yellow snot - This is a symptom of a bacterial cold. And yellow discharge may be due to falling into the nasal passages of pollen from plants. In general, staining mucus in a different color is a sign of recovery. But if a newborn has a week of snot green or yellow, then there is already a more serious problem than a simple cold.
Bright yellow discharge - a symptom of sinusitis, otitis, sinusitis. Discharge with pus indicates inflammation of the adenoid tissue. If the yellow mucus has a liquid consistency, then it may be an allergic rhinitis.
The conditions in which the baby developed in the mother’s stomach did not allow the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract to be fully formed, and they were not adapted to the new life. Therefore, until such time as the adaptation passes, when the vital activity of the body of the crumbs is normalized and the mucous membrane determines the required volume of mucus for the nasopharynx (in other words, in the first 10 weeks of life), a child may have a runny nose.
You need to know about this, since mothers almost always associate nasal discharge with the disease and begin to treat the newborn. And during this period, the main rule - no medicine! Of course, it is difficult to determine the nature of the disease. This can easily understand the doctor. One has only to take into account that the snot in a newborn without temperature (although this symptom may be present in the case of the disease), good general well-being with a single symptom - abundant secretions of a transparent color from the nose, they speak about the norm (or rather, physiology). Sometimes, rarely, but still the physiological rhinitis may be accompanied by sneezing.
How to remove snot from a newborn
In the absence of temperature, a clear discharge from the nose of the newborn can be eliminated with an aspirator. This device is of different types - from a simple syringe to an electronic device, they all have the same principle of operation. Suction of snot in a newborn is possible according to the following scheme:
1. Purification of the nose, softening of the crusts with the help of decoctions of herbs, normal saline - a few drops in each nostril of the crumbs. In this case, the child should be in an upright position.
2. The next step depends on the type of fixture. When using a conventional syringe, you need to squeeze a pear to suck snot from a newborn, releasing all the air inside it. Now you can insert the tip.
3. The introduction of the tip of the device. Well, if it has a limiter. In case of its absence, it is necessary to act very carefully in order not to injure the mucous membrane. Carefully look at the tip does not stick to the wall of the nozzle during operation.
4. If the device is mechanical, then the adult needs to draw air in through a tube. Vacuum connects to your home vacuum cleaner. The electronic is simply turned on by pressing a button. The syringe must be filled with air, releasing the base.
Well, when the aspirator is equipped with a transparent container for collecting mucus. Then you can control the amount of sucked fluid.
If the runny nose is viral, bacterial or allergic in nature, after the nose is cleaned with an aspirator, you need to drip the drops of the baby, prescribed by the pediatrician.
Basically, these are prescribed:
• Nazol Baby,
• Otrivin and others.
Drops can be treated for no more than 3-5 days, longer use of drugs is addictive and the vessels no longer self-constrict.
If a runny nose is one of the symptoms of a viral respiratory infection, then an antiviral agent is added to the drops. At the same time, it is necessary to constantly lubricate the nose with oxolinic ointment in order to prevent re-infection.
Snot in infants (from 4 weeks to a year)
Snot in infants - this, unfortunately, is not uncommon. In order to find out their nature, you should first turn to a pediatrician. The doctor, based on the causes, will prescribe the necessary treatment. Perhaps, drug therapy is not useful and everything will cost just by cleansing the nasal passages. In any case, purification is necessary. How to suck snot in infants? The aspirator will come to the rescue. This device will quickly and easily free a little nose from mucus and secretions. But it is better to use it when the snot in infants pass without increasing the temperature. The question is only behind the choice of the device. It can be of several types:
• vacuum aspirator,
• electronic aspirator,
• mechanical aspirator.
So, the treatment of snot in infants depends on factors contributing to the appearance of a cold.
In case of development of the disease on the background of ARVI
Breast babies up to 6 months rarely get sick with viral diseases, since these babies are protected by mother's milk. But the occurrence of ARVI is possible. Of course, to avoid the occurrence of an allergic reaction during treatment at this age, it is better to do with minimal medical intervention.
When a viral infection in the treatment of rhinitis, you can use the following techniques:
1. Cleansing the nasal passages using saline or a drug like Miramistin. You can cook at home a decoction of chamomile flowers or sage. Any solution should be dripped into the spout, sprays up to a year is better not to use.
2. The use of antiviral nasal drops, having in the composition of the component interferon. This tool will strengthen the immune system and stop the further spread of the virus.
3. Treatment with homeopathic drops. These drugs rarely cause an allergic reaction.
Any action must be agreed with the doctor!And also you need to remember that the best treatment is the mother's breast on demand!
With a cold of a bacterial nature
Of course, in this case, antibacterial treatment will be required. Here are applicable:
1. Local antibiotics. Up to 2 years of use in the treatment of such funds is contraindicated. But in the case of severe otitis media and other diseases that are bacterial in nature, the pediatrician may prescribe drops with antibiotics with the minimum dosage.
2. Systemic antibiotics. With purulent rhinitis, streptococcal and staphylococcal infections.
3. Vasoconstrictor drops. Their functions - anesthesia, removal of swelling. Sometimes these drops are prescribed for prolonged rhinitis, not necessarily bacterial nature. Breathing problems interfere with the proper normal development of the child.
4. Drops antiseptics. These include Protargol. Here it is necessary to strictly observe the dosage.
Actions for allergic rhinitis
With this type of disease, antihistamines, hormonal or vasoconstrictor drops, if necessary, are prescribed by the doctor. But often the disease disappears subject to certain rules:
1. Constantly do in the room where most of the time the baby spends (as in the whole apartment, of course) high-quality general cleaning. It is necessary to get rid of all possible allergens, dust accumulators. Unfortunately, this also applies to soft toys.
2. Purchase (if financial resources permit) an air humidifier, its purifier, water filter.
3. Responsible approach to the choice of any product relating to the child: hygiene products, washing powder, clothing, shoes, toys, a mixture - all this must pass a quality check.
4. Mom needs to revise their diet. During breastfeeding, it is better to refuse products that are potentially capable of causing allergies.
5. In the event of a head cold after the introduction of a new product into the baby’s diet, its menu should be reviewed. It should be remembered about the gradual introduction of new food.
What to do if a baby grunts his nose, but there is no snot
При наличии густых соплей у грудничка план действий понятен. А как лечить кроху, если нос чист, слизи нет, а малыш издает специфические звуки при дыхании, как бы хрюкает своим носиком. The reason for this phenomenon may be physiology - in this way the baby adapts to new living conditions.
The factors causing grunting breath include:
• regurgitation after feeding - part of mom's milk after feeding is at the end of the nasal passages and with the passage of air through the nasopharynx, grunting is obtained,
• irritation of the mucous membrane from too dry air, an abundance of dust, animal hair, pollen - a kind of allergic reaction,
• narrow nasal passages in infants.
And there are pathological causes of "grunting" nose:
1. Congenital anomaly of the nasal septum.
2. Swelling of the mucous membrane due to its injury. You can not clean your nose with cotton buds!
3. Damage from injury, impact, foreign body in the nose.
4. Stridor. This is a disease in which grunting breath is formed due to softened laryngeal cartilage from birth. As the baby grows and strengthens, breathing returns to normal.
Prohibited methods of treatment of rhinitis in infants and prevention
In no case can not:
1. Flush the spout. This can lead to serious complications.
2. Use sprays until the child is 3 years old.
3. Apply concentrated solutions in the treatment.
4. Bury oily solutions.
5. Treat with steam inhalations.
6. Independently, without a prescription, use the means of folk and official medicine.
When treating, you must adhere to the prescribed dosage. It is important! Do not use drug drops for a long time. If 5 days after the start of the application, the result did not come, then it is necessary to contact a pediatrician.
Up to 6 months you can not use folk remedies. But even after half a year, their use is possible only with the appointment of a doctor.
To prevent the occurrence of rhinitis, the following hygienic rules must be observed:
• often walk with babies in the fresh air,
• mother to follow a balanced diet,
• perform gymnastics with your baby,
• take air and sun baths,
• avoid large crowds.
Mom does not need to be very anxious. Infants feel it very keenly, which is why the signs of the disease become brighter. The best prevention is the love, attention and care of parents. If you often take the child in your arms, hug, talk, spend the maximum amount of time with it (of course, in a positive way), then the symptoms of any disease will fade. And together with the correct treatment and preventive measures, they will soon disappear completely.
Feature of "baby" nozzles
Being inside the mother, the baby does not use the breath through the nose. After the baby is born, the nasal passages begin to function as part of the respiratory system. The mucous membrane of the nose in children of the first month of life is abundantly supplied with blood vessels, loose. Therefore, during the inflammatory process quickly swells.
The nasal passages are narrower, which contributes to difficulty breathing during a runny nose, and short. Closely located next to the auditory canals, therefore, a frequent problem in children in the first year of life is a complication of the common cold - otitis.
Due to the small size of the nasal canals, mucous discharge may occur, and crusts appear, making nasal breathing even more difficult.
Infant snot due to inflammation
How does an infectious runny nose manifest in infants?
- Viruses. Infant snot - a protective reaction to the introduction of a foreign agent. In a baby, they are transparent, abundant, endlessly “wet under the nose”. There may be nasal congestion. As a rule, body temperature is low - up to 38 degrees.
- Bacteria. Such a runny nose in a baby has a protracted nature. At 6 - 7 days of illness, mother notices changes in the character of discharge. The snot at the baby becomes thick, green, the temperature rises above 38 degrees. The child suffers - appetite decreases, sleep worsens. All this suggests the accession of a bacterial infection.
- Allergy. The nature of snot, as in viral rhinitis. Another sneeze appears, tearing. As a rule, allergic rhinitis alone does not come. These babies periodically appear skin rash with itching - diathesis. These kids are prone to allergies.
Make breathing easier for a few hours. Do not have a therapeutic effect. Relieve the symptom of nasal congestion. Apply no more than five days and no more than 2 times a day.
Types of drops (drugs):
- Nazivin baby - allowed from the first days of life. It contains oxylmetazolin. Average price - 130 rubles,
- Sanorin children - allowed for children from 2 years. Average price - 140 rubles,
- Vibrocil - applies from 12 months. It has also anti-edema effect, as it contains antiallergic component. The average price is 250 rubles,
- Nazol baby with phenylephrine - also allowed from the first months of life. The average price is 180 rubles.
Vasoconstrictor drugs are divided into two groups:
- With a short action up to six hours.
- With a long-term action (means on the basis of oxymetazoline) to 10 hours.
Moisturizing drops based on saline and seawater
Sea water reduces swelling of the mucous membranes, washes away all pathogenic viruses and bacteria, thereby reducing inflammation and thins mucus. You can apply up to 4 times a day. Virtually no side effects.
Types of drops (drugs):
- Aquamaris. Average price - 140 rubles,
- Aqualore baby. Average price - 135 rubles,
- Salin. The average price is 120 rubles,
- Physiomer. Average price - 370 rubles,
Drops with interferon content - Grippferonare allowed from the first days of life. Stored in the refrigerator. Average price: 260 rubles.
Antibacterial drops - Isofra
Used with prolonged snot in an infant only on the recommendation of a doctor. Average price: 300 rubles.
Runny nose in a child 6 months of age and its treatment
5 - 6 months - age teething, abundant salivation and swelling of the mucous membranes. Therefore, a runny nose in a child of 5 months or six may be accompanied by the appearance of copious mucous discharge from the nose.
At this age, you can warm up the legs. Wear socks with mustard plasters for 2 - 3 minutes, the top is better than a woolen sock. Allows you to stimulate the points on the sole, which are responsible for the work of the upper respiratory tract. Relieves nasal congestion.
- syringe or "pear". The downside is that it has opaque walls, and you will not see whether the contents of the nose are sucked or not,
- Otrivin baby. From personal experience, I can say that there is no better aspirator. It has transparent walls, well aspirates the contents of the nose, there is a restrictor on the nozzles, so as not to damage the mucous membrane,
- electronic aspirator. The tool is quite expensive, but effective. It has a special tip with a limiter. Its power is small, it can not damage the delicate mucous membrane of the baby.
How to treat runny babies folk remedies?
Treatment of rhinitis folk remedies is quite possible and relatively safe. You can use the secrets of traditional medicine, making sure that your child does not have an allergy to the means used (you can pre-test the skin).
Any decision regarding alternative methods must be agreed with the pediatrician and not be used instead, but together with traditional methods of treatment:
- Oily infusion of onions. It is necessary to chop the onion and add vegetable oil. This mass can be used for about a week. Bury 2 drops 3 times a day. Avoid highly concentrated solution to avoid irritation of the nasal mucous membranes,
- Beet and carrot juices need to mix. You can also add vegetable oil 1: 1. Bury 3 times a day
- Juice plants Kalanchoe or Aloe there is almost every home. It is necessary to dig in three times a day.
Physiotherapy and rhinitis
- Oil burner. Allows you to disinfect the room, clean the air from harmful pathogens. Oils of oak, juniper, pine, fir have excellent antimicrobial action,
- Quartz lamps. Daily quartz treatment of the room allows to dry the mucous membrane and disinfect the air in the room.
More about how to treat snot in infants ...
Treatment of rhinitis in newborns requires patience. Prevention will also be useful, especially during the cold season. You can put in a bowl peeled onions or garlic. They contain volatile production, which allows you to fight microbes.
The first two months of the child's life should not use drugs for the treatment of rhinitis.
She graduated from YuUGMU, internship in pediatrics, residency in pediatric cardiology, since 2012 she has been working in MC Lotos, Chelyabinsk.
5 comments to the article “Runny nose in infants: norm or pathology? How to cure snot in infants? "
After reading the article, I concluded that as the infant matures, there are also serious problems with the common cold. After birth, the nose has physiological features (the nose begins to work), so snot is natural. It is necessary to closely monitor the snot and not miss the moment when the snot becomes thicker. You can apply drops such as Nazivin Baby, Aquamaris, Salin. In no case do not apply (grandmother's methods), drip breast milk into the nose. It is important for symptoms to contact your doctor. The article says that treatment is the work of a doctor.
// It is not recommended to bury breast milk, as advised by grandmothers. Not all mothers have sterile milk, and this can trigger the addition of a bacterial infection. //
The most delusional explanation that you can think of. As if the drops in the nose are sterile or the air the baby breathes is sterile. About the syringe generally keep quiet. The author, read at least one article about what sterility is and how to achieve it.
Tatiana, please introduce yourself. Specify your education and activity profile. On our site, articles are written by practicing doctors. And who you are, nobody knows. I think the readers (and the author of this article) would be interested to know who is protesting.
My name is Tatiana, I work as a dentist. And I am amazed to the depth of the soul by the argument. "You can not use milk, because it is non-sterile." Maybe it can not be used, because it does not help in any way and is intended not for the instillation of the nose?
When my baby, after being discharged from the maternity hospital, began to “grunt” with the spout, the doctor got worried and worried. The doctor said that this is a physiological rhinitis and advised to moisturize the mucous membranes. Used "Aqualore Baby".
Also liked the aspitrator "Otrivin - Baby" mentioned by the author of the article - very easy to use.
It was also interesting to learn about the treatment of rhinitis in babies at 3 and 6 months.
We treat the physiological and infectious (viral) runny nose
- As already mentioned at the beginning of the article, physiological rhinitis in an infant does not require special treatment. Viral rhinitis, is a natural reaction of the body that helps the nasopharynx to cope with the virus or bacteria. The main treatment is to keep the mucus from drying out. To do this, it is required to maintain an optimum temperature and air humidity of no more than 22 degrees in the room (you can maintain the humidity with ordinary cups of water, spray a spray bottle, use special humidifiers, put an aquarium).
- Moisten the mucous membrane of the nose with a normal saline solution (or normal saline): at the rate of 1 teaspoon salt (preferably sea salt. If there is no sea salt, use regular cooking liquid) per 1 liter of warm boiled water. Bury 1 drop in each nostril. (READ THE ARTICLE:how to bury the nose of the child). IMPORTANT! use saline solution (purchased or homemade) only as drops, as washing cannot be used!
- Herbs of calendula or yarrow: we steam up 1 teaspoon in a water bath per glass of water. Cool and bury the baby in half a pipette in each nostril.
- If the runny nose is strong, then clean the baby's nose from crusts and thick mucus with a special small enema for removing socks (sold in any pharmacy.) You can use an ordinary “pear”. There are special nasal aspirators (nozzles). Or very carefully remove the mucus baby cotton buds. (See the article on how to clean the nose of a newborn baby in different ways)
- Bury breast milk. As part of breast milk, there are substances that will help protect the baby's mucosa from "harmful" germs.
- You can drip Aquamaris droplets (based on seawater).
- Chamomile decoction helps (if the child does not have allergies to it).
- Bathe the newborn in medicinal herbs. Bath with calendula, sage and yarrow. Take 25 grams of herbs, brew and leave in a thermos for 2 hours. The resulting broth is poured into the tub with a water temperature of not more than 37 degrees.
- The most common folk remedy for treating rhinitis in infants is to put fresh beetroot or carrot juice half diluted with water or olive oil or vegetable sunflower oil in the nose.
- Another folk remedy is to put sea buckthorn oil in the nozzle.
- You can drip aloe juice or kalanchoe. Juice must be diluted with boiled water, 1 part of juice 10 parts of water. Dig in 5 times a day.
- Breathe in the oil of eucalyptus. Pour water and drip 5-10 drops of eucalyptus oil into the aroma lamp, heat it and leave it in the room for 15-20 minutes, the child will breathe in pairs.
- Lubricate areas of irritation with baby cream.
Herbal decoctions should be used carefully, as they can cause allergy in infants.
NOT! When the physiological or viral rhinitis is not necessary, babies drip into the nose vasoconstrictor drops. These drops can only be used after prescribing a doctor in extreme cases (if the child cannot sleep or eat due to a clogged nose). Drops can cause swelling of the mucous membranes.
NOT! We suck out the mucus with a sap or pear, but in no case should the spout be flushed! Fluid under pressure can enter the infant's Eustachian tube (which connects the ear and nose) and cause otitis (inflammation of the middle ear).
In case of allergic rhinitis, swelling of the nasal mucosa occurs and only a doctor can prescribe treatment!
Prevention of allergies caused by allergies to rhinitis - avoid contact of the infant with the allergen: do wet cleaning more often, you should stop using household chemicals such as carpets, polishes, scouring powders and gels, air fresheners, and wash clothes with only phosphate-free baby powders or simple soap (see how to wash baby clothes). To ensure clean and moist air in the room, use a humidifier, a vacuum cleaner with a water filter, a salt lamp, an ionizer.
Cold remedies for the smallest
We give the names of drops and ointments for general information. Before use, it is better to consult a pediatrician!
- Nasal drops for babies from the first days of life: Aquamaris, Aqualor, Nazivin, Vibrocil, Dr. IOM, Salin and Pinasol.
- Warming ointments and tinctures: ointment of calendula, Hypericum, vitaon, pulmeks-baby (lubricate the feet), Dr. IOM (lubricate the feet).
- Aromatherapy: Thuja oil (2 drops in a glass of boiling water put to evaporate in the room with the baby), Tea oil oil (from 6 months to 1 drop on a pillow before bedtime).
What should not do the baby in the treatment of rhinitis
- Do not rinse the spout with enemas, pears and other injectors.
- Do not bury antibiotics,
- You can not suck snot from the internal areas of the nose,
- Vasoconstrictor drugs only on prescription.
In some cases, you may need medical care if:
- The child's breathing became whistling,
- With a runny nose, there is a redness of the throat,
- The child refuses food and begins to lose weight,
- You suspect headaches in a child,
- Bloody nasal discharge
- A runny nose lasts longer than a week,
- If the baby has 3-6 months. temperature below normal
- If a baby has a temperature of 40 ° C, it does not decrease, but continues to grow.
We treat a cold!
School of Dr. Komarovsky: A runny nose and cures for a runny nose
Actress Anastasia Basha turned to Dr. Komarovsky with questions about the head cold - where it comes from, what and how it is treated, how dangerous it is ... Obviously, it is impossible to avoid a head cold, but it is possible to make it so that childhood, snotty constantly, becomes childhood, snotty occasionally, and these episodes will be short, light, rare. We listen to the recommendations of the doctor!
Hello girls! Today I will tell you how I managed to get in shape, lose 20 kilograms, and finally get rid of creepy complexes of fat people. I hope the information will be useful to you!
Do you want to read our materials first? Subscribe to our telegram channel
How to treat a runny nose in infants: the basic rules
Still not a single child has not bypassed such a problem as a cold. Sooner or later, every baby and his parents will have to face it. Therefore, any adult needs to know how to treat a runny nose in infants, because sopelki can appear in a very tiny baby.
If for us nasal congestion is just a small nuisance, for a baby it turns into a real test. And the thing is that he can not get rid of the mucus that accumulates in the nasal passages. Parents, in turn, must be extremely careful and attentive when carrying out various procedures.
How to treat a runny nose in infants should begin to understand from identifying the causes of this condition of the baby.This may be the reaction of the child's body to any new product that has appeared in his diet or in the mom's menu. In this case, you need to find out what this component is, and abandon it at least for a while.
A runny nose may appear in the infant during teething. This fact is disputed by some experts, but others still recognize its right to exist. About how to treat a runny nose in infants in this situation, we are not talking. It is only necessary to regularly clean the baby's nose to make it easier to breathe.
Runny nose in infants. Symptoms
The condition that really requires treatment is characterized by the following features:
- nozzles become white, yellowish or even greenish,
- swelling of the mucous is observed,
- the baby is worried: it can refuse to eat, be capricious, sleep badly, etc.
- In some cases, there is a cough, provoked by mucus, which falls into the throat.
We treat rhinitis in infants
Komarovsky (a famous pediatrician, to which many parents listen), emphasizes that the main task of those parents whose children suffer from a cold is to prevent the mucus from drying out. To this end, it is necessary to maintain an optimum level of humidity in the room and often water the baby. You can use special moisturizers. The room where the child is located should be regularly aired.
Many parents even before the birth of the baby to the light collect a first aid kit. So in this list must be an aspirator. With the help of such a device it is easy to clean the baby’s nose from the accumulated mucus. If, however, it was not at hand, then with the same purpose you can use a small pear.
Pharmaceutical preparations that help fight the common cold in the smallest patients, as a rule, basically contain sea water or sodium chloride solution. They are Aqualore Baby, Aquamaris, Salin, etc. They are used for washing the spout of the baby. The use of vasoconstrictor drugs in the case of nursing babies is not recommended.
From the article you learned how to treat a runny nose in infants. If such a condition does not go away after a week, or is accompanied by other symptoms (cough, fever), you should immediately consult a doctor. After all, the child's health is the most expensive thing that every parent can have.
Why are some babies born with the “kiss of an angel”? Angels, as we all know, are kind to people and their health. If your child has a so-called angel kiss, then you are not.
Why do I need a tiny pocket on jeans? Everyone knows that there is a tiny pocket on jeans, but few people wondered why he might be needed. Interestingly, it was originally a place for xp.
Never do this in church! If you are not sure about whether you are behaving properly in a church or not, then you are probably not doing the right thing. Here is a list of terrible.
Unforgivable mistakes in films that you probably never noticed. Probably there are very few people who would not like to watch movies. However, even in the best movie there are mistakes that the viewer may notice.
What does the shape of the nose say about your personality? Many experts believe that by looking at the nose, you can say a lot about a person’s personality. Therefore, at the first meeting, pay attention to the unfamiliar nose.
These 10 little things a man always notices in a woman. Do you think your man knows nothing about female psychology? This is not true. Not a single trifle will hide from the look of a loving partner. And here are 10 things.
What to do if the newborn snot
What if the newborn snot? The main thing is to keep calm and understand that the baby has everything in a slightly different way. And only a comprehensive treatment of rhinitis will help in the shortest time to survive this ailment and save the child from suffering. The first thing to do is to figure out: why did a cold start?
Causes of rhinitis
Several factors can trigger the disease:
- Physiology. The fact is that from the moment of birth and up to 2.5 - 3 months, the mucous membrane of the infant is at the stage of formation and remains imperfect. Sometimes this is caused by the special structure of the little nose, which after birth has very small nasal passages. These phenomena are temporary and are part of the overall development of the baby.
- Infections. In this case, a runny nose acts as a symptom of the disease along with other symptoms (coughing, wheezing and fever).
- The appearance of the first teeth. Very often, the cause of a runny nose in a baby can be new teeth. Such a runny nose is usually diagnosed in children a little older (from 6 months).
- Allergic reaction. Another common cause of rhinitis in babies. It happens more often in children with pets in their house.
How to treat snot in a newborn?
Kids run into any rhinitis very hard: snot running down the nasopharynx, breathing becomes difficult, they prevent to eat and sleep fully. Very often, sopelki babies do not pass for a long time and are accompanied by swelling of the mucous membrane, which is why the nose “lays”. The danger of a cold is also that if it is not treated, the consequences can be much worse. It is important to quickly identify the cause of the ailment, take the drugs prescribed by the pediatrician, and carry out procedures that will alleviate the symptoms and relieve the child from suffering.
How to cure snot in babies from birth to two months?
Doctors prescribe the following drops from a cold. which will not harm the infant:
- Nazivin (from birth),
- Gripporon (it is also an excellent prevention of snot in children, as well as flu and colds),
But before buying the drug will be the right to consult with your pediatrician. Only he should prescribe medications to avoid individual intolerance to the drug.
What drugs treat rhinitis?
Usually, pediatricians first of all prescribe salt-based solutions to infants. They are considered the safest for kids and practically have no contraindications. Salt solutions act on the nose of the child gently and quickly moisturize the mucous membrane. Saline solutions can be used in the form of drops. The course of treatment can be quite long, even if the newborn is not running a runny nose.
Preparations proved to be very effective, where the main active ingredient is sodium chloride. In pharmacies, it is sold in the form of saline. Sodium chloride can be instilled at the first sign of a runny nose: it normalizes the condition of the mucous membrane, dilutes the snot. Otolaryngologists recommend using saline as a normal hygiene, which will help your baby breathe easier and quickly get rid of snot. Practice has shown that the newborn is not observed addiction to this drug.
A popular drug that is prescribed for the treatment of rhinitis of newborns is protargol (or its modern counterpart, sialor), a brown liquid based on silver. In pharmacies, ask for a drug with a silver concentration of 1%. so as soon as you can bury it in infants. Other "doses" of silver are potentially dangerous. Protargol will help you quickly escape from the cold.
Protargol recommend change, if the snot for a long time pass. In rare cases, it is ineffective.
If the runny nose is accompanied by edema and there is a strong nasal congestion, then you can not do without drugs, narrowing the vessels. This group is prescribed only by a doctor, and it is necessary to choose medicines with extreme caution: with the wrong dosage, they are addictive. toxic.
Treatment in the complex
Healing activities necessarily include the hygiene of the house. They have an effective effect, speeding up the healing process several times.
Be sure to humidify the air in the room with humidifiers. If you don’t have the device, you should do a wet cleaning of the child’s room several times a day.
Periodically turn on the aromatic lamp with thuja oil. It has a healing effect on the baby’s nasopharynx.
Include warming ointments, such as badger fat or Dr. Mom. Spread them around the maxillary sinuses and nose wings. You can do a little massage and rub the back and heels of the baby at night. Attention! These procedures can be carried out in the absence of temperature in the baby.
Treatment of nipples in infants is necessarily accompanied by procedures for the suction of mucus using a nasal aspirator. Today there are modern and easy-to-use devices.
Also help and popular methods.
What methods will help you in dealing with a cold?
- fresh carrot juice
- honey and menthol oil,
- Kalanchoe juice (it must be diluted with water).
But It is worth noting that folk remedies for the treatment of rhinitis should not replace medical treatments. They are related only events, but not the main. Mothers who breastfeed should not drip the baby’s breast milk into their nose. it can only exacerbate the situation.
As you can see, modern medicine offers a wide arsenal of medicines against the common cold. Choose your way, begin to treat the disease in its very germ. Be healthy!
We offer you to watch a video on how to properly clean the nose of a newborn:
Features of a cold in early childhood
In young children, there is a specific type of rhinitis, the so-called physiological rhinitis. This is due to the feature of the structure of the nasal cavity in newborns.
The mucus-producing goblet cells only get used to working in the new mode, therefore they produce a secret in large quantities. Narrow nasal passages of the baby are clogged with this mucus.
At the same time, the snot is liquid, transparent and outwardly such a picture resembles a runny nose, but with one difference. In addition to snot in the nose, the child does not bother. He is cheerful, sleeps well, eats normally, and his temperature is kept within the normal range.
When a viral or bacterial cold in an infant, the picture of the disease changes dramatically. A feature of rhinitis in children under one year old is the predominance of general symptoms over local ones.
Immature immune system immediately triggers a general inflammatory reaction, and a banal runny nose causes a rise in fever, cough, weakness, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, moodiness and other symptoms that frighten parents.
An inexperienced mother may not immediately realize that the reason for such a condition was ordinary snot, and not some serious illness unknown to science.
What types of rhinitis can bother a newborn:
- Viral. Develops when confronted with viruses with SARS. Accompanied by severe swelling of the nose, fever, nasal mucous discharge, and other symptoms.
- Bacterial. As a rule, accompanied by purulent discharge from the nose, as well as symptoms of general intoxication: temperature, fever, sweating, refusal to eat, etc.
- Allergic. Transparent copious watery discharge from the nose, watery eyes, redness of the skin.
- Mixed. The combination of bacterial viral or bacterial fungal infections. Observed with reduced immunity or congenital immunodeficiency.
General principles of treatment
Treat snot in infants as soon as possible with the first signs of the disease. Depending on the type of rhinitis, an optimal regimen and treatment regimen are selected. Before starting treatment, the child should be shown to the doctor in order to find out the cause of the common cold and select the necessary drugs.
Consider the general principles of treatment of different types of rhinitis in newborns. Some items need to be observed in any type of rhinitis, while others will differ significantly depending on the cause of the disease.
To treat a runny nose in infants, caused by anatomical features in most cases is not required. If mucus becomes too much and it prevents the child from breathing fully, then its excess is removed with the help of special scoops or cotton flagella.
How and how to clean the baby's nose:
- Cotton flagella. For this purpose, you can independently twist flagellum from cotton or cotton pad. Such a flagellum is moistened with vaseline oil, after which it is shallowly inserted into the child’s nose and scrolled. The snot and mucus stick to the flagellum and thus the nasal passages are cleaned.
- Rubber bottle or pear. A soft rubber pear (enema) of a small size can be bought at any pharmacy. If viscous and thick snot accumulated in the nose, they can be softened with the help of saline or seawater. The tip of the pear is smeared with Vaseline, compressed and gently inserted into the nostril. The pear is unclenched and it begins to suck the air along with the mucus. After the procedure, the instrument is washed.
- Aspirators or nozzles. These are devices that are designed to remove snot from the nose. There are mechanical (Otrivin baby) and electronic devices (aspirator B.Well). The principle of the mechanical device: an adult inserts a tube into the child's nostril and sucks the mucus from it. They have a special filter that prevents the nozzles of a child from getting into the mouth of an adult. The electronic device operates from batteries or from the network and does everything himself. Another type of nozzle is vacuum. It works from the house vacuum cleaner through special nozzles.
In addition to removing snot, at physiological rhinitis, it is recommended to maintain a normal temperature and humidity in a child’s room and periodically moisturize the nasal mucosa with saline.
Special drops, which stimulate the production of their own immune cells, help cure the runny nose in infants of viral nature, since there are no drugs that directly destroy viruses.
So, at the first sign of a viral infection, the following drugs bring a good effect:
- Derinat in ampoules of 0.25%. For prophylaxis and at the first sign of a viral infection, it is instilled into the nose 1-2 drops 4-5 times a day during the week. With an uncomplicated viral infection, it can be used for inhalations, for this dilute Derinat solution in saline solution in a ratio of 1k 2 and make inhalation with a nebulizer once a day for 5 days.
- IRS-19. It is a mixture of parts of bacteria. It has an immunostimulating effect and is prescribed in children after 3 months for the prevention and treatment of viral infection.
- Interferon It is buried in the nose or prescribed by inhalation through a nebulizer to stimulate immunity and get rid of viruses.
In addition to antiviral agents in the nose, we should not forget about the mode and humidity of the room. The nasal mucosa of the child should be moistened, because viruses are easier to penetrate into the dry and damaged mucosa.
To humidify the air in the room where the baby lives, you can use special humidifiers, some of these devices additionally have the function of air ionization. You can put the usual water bowls near the battery so that the water evaporates.
The usual role of a humidifier can take the usual aquarium.
Antibacterial drops and drugs will help cure snot in infants, which are caused by bacteria, as indicated by their green color. As a rule, such a disease occurs with severe general symptoms and requires the selection of antibiotics and antipyretic.
Of the local remedies, they use vasoconstrictor agents to relieve the symptoms of edema and antibiotic drops. Polydex with phenylephrine contains 2 local antibiotics (Polymyxin B and Neomycin), as well as the vasoconstrictor component phenylephrine.
Children of the first month of life with a bacterial rhinitis clean the nose, saline solutions are instilled and in case of severe edema they prescribe vasoconstrictor for 3-4 days.
Conduct systemic antibiotic therapy (penicillins or cephalosporins), as well as appoint antipyretic in the form of rectal suppositories or syrups.
When parents begin to treat snot in infants without fever, then eliminating the physiological response, such as teething, you should think about the possible allergic nature of the disease.
For the treatment of allergies primarily limit contact with the causative allergen. To do this, conduct special diagnostic tests in the office of the doctor.
To reduce the overall allergenic background, they regularly perform wet cleaning in the apartment, give pets to relatives or friends.
Of the drugs used antihistamines, such as fenistil or Parlazin. Fenistil in drops is suitable for use in children after the first month of life. Dosage depends on the weight of the child.
Children from the age of two in the nose choose hormone drops Nasonex. They work only locally and do well in allergic manifestations of rhinitis.
Medicines for babies and their use
In addition to the above funds for the treatment of rhinitis at different stages in children and other local drugs are used:
- Vasoconstrictor drops. These drops are prescribed as despair therapy for severe edema. For kids, special children's forms are bought, where the concentration of the active substance is significantly lower than in adult dosages. In children after a year, you can use Nazol baby and others. They choose products in the form of drops, not sprays. Не применяют такие капли дольше 3-4 дней. При передозировке возможны осложнения в виде тахикардии, рвоты и менингизма (раздражение мозговых оболочек).
- Средства с антисептиком . Для дезинфекции слизистой можно выбрать Протаргол. This is an old drug that contains colloidal silver. It disinfects and dries the mucous membrane. Prescribed in young children. The disadvantage is the short shelf life and stains after such drops on clothes that barely wash off.
- As antiseptic drops you can use Miramistin, which has disinfectant properties and low allergenicity.
- A folk remedy with antiseptic properties is a decoction of chamomile, the freshly prepared solution is carefully instilled with a pipette into the nose of the baby 4-5 times a day.
- Antiviral and immunomodulatory agents. To stimulate local immunity prescribe interferons in drops or Derinat. These drugs are effective at the first signs of the disease or for its prevention. With a pronounced inflammatory reaction, they will not give the desired effect. In some cases, pediatricians prescribe immunomodulators in the form of rectal suppositories (Viferon, etc.)
How to treat a runny nose in infants and at the same time do not harm your child. Need to remember some rules:
- For babies from the first days to 6 months of life, only drops are prescribed. In sprays, the active substance is delivered to the nose with a jet and can damage thin mucous membranes or accidentally drive microbes into the ear through a wide auditory tube.
- In infants do not rinse the nose (in particular, Aqualore) for the same reason. At this age, the auditory tube is shorter and wider than that of an adult; therefore, there is a high risk of introducing an infection there.
- Inhalation with a cold is performed only with a nebulizer. Steam inhalation may cause burns to the mucous membranes.
- In the case of physiological or viral rhinitis, the use of vasoconstrictor drops can cause the opposite effect and provoke severe swelling of the mucous membrane and nasal congestion.
- With great care use of alternative medicine, because the immature immune system of the child can give a serious allergic reaction.
- You can not drip antibiotics into the child’s nose without a prescriber’s appointment.
Is it necessary to engage in the treatment of snot in children, some adults think, because it is known that even without medication rhinitis passes itself in a week. In children, everything proceeds differently, even a slight violation of nasal breathing leads to a deterioration of the general condition and refusal to eat.
Your baby may become dehydrated and even cramped. In addition, there are problems with sleep, the baby becomes sluggish and capricious.
When a baby has snot in the nasopharynx, they can flow down the back of the throat into the esophagus, and cause coughing and infection of the lower parts of the respiratory tract (causing pharyngitis, laryngitis, etc.).
Often runny nose complicates the eyes and causes severe conjunctivitis. With a weakened immunity, a banal runny nose can cause meningitis, sepsis, and other lethal complications, so it is necessary to treat it in children.